Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 10:46 PM   #1
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Are there any war novels out there and follow the first hand experiances of soldiers, instead of talking about victims of war, high officials, documentaries, etc. I'd like to read a book about a soldier and his time spent in Vietnam or in WWII, but I've never been able to find any. Is there any out there that anyone can suggest?
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:53 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

I think Google is your friend.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:50 PM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

It's WW1, but it's probably considered a classic: All Quiet on the Western Front.

Also, I can't vouch for it (only read parts), but The Things They Carried has to do with Vietnam.

I read parts of one, might have been called the Iron Cross, that I only put down because I was supposed to be reading something else. Very detailed scenes of WW2 combat, and very thick. Real helpful, right? Doing a search for Iron Cross probabbly won't get you anywhere lol.

[ 03-31-2005, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Google isn't my friend anymore. When Google found me cheating with Yahoo everything fell to pieces. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I did a little check Lucern, and I think the book may have been called Cross of Iron. I'll have to look into the books you mentioned, thanks for the suggestions. [img]smile.gif[/img]
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
Seraph
Quintesson

I can think of a few you might like:
We Were Soldiers Once and Young: Ia Drang--The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam

Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest

Parachute Infantry : An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #6
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucern:
It's WW1, but it's probably considered a classic: All Quiet on the Western Front.
Yep I would recommend this one too. It's a great novel but is it written by an eye witness?
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">"And no Birds Sang" (Farley Mowat) - Pretty good WWII novel and the authors own account and memoirs. If I remember the ending was depressing but I think it is pretty much how most soldiers would have experianced the war to some extent no matter were they came from.

Here is a book review, while it contains spoilers it will let you know if you want to read it.</font>

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.p...ic,4544.0.html

[ 04-01-2005, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote