Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2002, 03:55 PM   #1
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

I even dont see any progress in the status-bar, and I did a lot of transactions...

Thanx for any help....

Chris
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 03:59 PM   #2
Goumindong
Manshoon

because you didnt change the price at which you bought and sold
Goumindong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 11:49 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

find a teacher and pay him/her to increase your skill.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:00 AM   #4
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

this skill is bugged! higher mercantile results in lower prices for your sold items!
so if it's not increasing for you, count yourself lucky [img]smile.gif[/img]
frudi_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:20 AM   #5
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I haven't found this skill to be any advantage whatsoever. Even if your mercantile skill is up, if you lower a price on goods you are buying, the merchant will refuse your offer and their disposition will go down.

I've found that you get better prices, both for buying and selling, if you bribe a merchant with $100 because more than likely, their disposition will go up. I always save before I do this because every once in awhile, you will find someone who will be offended by the offer and their disposition will go down.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:48 PM   #6
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks for the answers !

I will just ignore the skill, like I did in the past
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 04:01 PM   #7
theifprowess
Drizzt Do'Urden

{sigh}
merchantile is actually a very good skill. i got my mercantile up to 72 right now i can sell items for what they actually say they are.

if people like you they give you more towards what the item is actually worth.not to mention mecrantile is one of the easiest skills to bump up.sell 1 item at a time try raising the price per item sure most of the time it wont let you go over 1-5 dollars per item but it boosts your mercantile up. now i can get depending on the items up to an extra 600 (most ive ever tried) per item.
theifprowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 05:56 PM   #8
Rhuarch
Dungeon Master

My mercantile is around 22 now, and I am able to bump prices up by as much as 100 gold (more often around 50) when I sell Items, just buy doing a little carefull persuasion. I save the game and then try admire, if that doesn't work I reload and try 10 Gold bribe. You would be surprised how many people you can charm to 100 disposition with just 3 or 4 10 gp bribes, and even if I have to resort to the 100 bribe it still is usually worth it if you have lots to sell. I routinely buy things cheap enough at one merchatnt to sell them at a profit to another merchant.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:35 PM   #9
SicMynded
Welcomed New User

Mine increased almost every 3 - 4 transactions I made. I kept raising and lowering (cost / sold offer) like crazy until the items got sold / bought. Oddly enough, in one event a seller wouldn't buy an item I was trying to sell at 210 gold but when I kept raising and lowering the price back and forth, he bought it for 230.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:43 PM   #10
DraconisRex

How to raise mercantile? Be a hard negotiator. It may take me 15 "offers" to get a merchant to accept my offer. But it pays. I've got a very high merchant skill. Not as high as some have reported in this area, but it was NOT a major or minor skill.

I recently went back to Seyda Neen and re-purchased some of the goods I sold a Merchant 5 (candlesticks and a few other decorative items) and paid less than what I sold them for.

I also get top dollar for my items. Not full value, but I'm at 75% to 90% for the most part. PLUS, I buy at 60-65% value.

NOTE: Different NPCs appear to have different "merchant" skills. I've got one establishment where the trader has 15,000 gold. But the guy is such a tight-butt that I only go there to get rid of the ultra-expensive things I don't want.

Oh, I don't use Creeper.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote