Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2002, 02:01 PM   #1
Snowking
Dungeon Master

i am wondering if there are better swords for my fighter.right now i am using a
+4 two handed sword which i got after killing the orc leader in upper dorn.besides,is there anymore shops that sell better stuffs?
Snowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:12 PM   #2
Jim
Quintesson

I think you're refering to the Cairn (sp?) Blade. That is an awesome weapon, but I think there are a few other notable ones. Namely:

SPOILERS
The following weapons are obtainable after or during Dorns Deep. Many of the Large Swords are only available if you have Heart of Winter installed.

In terms of Great Swords, there's only a couple that beat the Cairn:

2H sword +4 "Backbiter" - dealing 1D10+4 +1D6 piercing (25% that user takes 1D4, a small price to pay for a damage range of 6-20!)

2H sword +4 "Lifegiver" - 1D10+4 and excellent regeneration.

Note the above 2 were only available before HOW is installed (along with some awesome crossbows).

Hand of the Gloomfrost - 1D10+4, plus elemental resistances and other small combat bonuses. This will eventually be the Great Sword to wield, you will get the option from Tiernon to forge you any weapon of your choice during HoW.

There are however, many great large swords after Dorns Deep and in HoW:

Amanuators Legacy - Basically Daystar from BG2 for IWD, and rolls 2D4, rather than the standard 1D8 for a large sword.

Bhaal's Fire - 1D8+3, +2D4 fire (great for trolls and mages)

Dead Gods Dreaming - 2D4+4/+6 vs Good characters

Kiss of the Gloom Frost - same as hand, except rolls 1D8+4 and is 1 handed. (needs to be forged).

Long Sword of Action +4 (my personal fav, especially when combined with a great shield of resistance +3 to get the physical damage resistances) - 1D8+4, +1 AC, +1 APR, +15% slashing resistance. There's a few of these about!

Pale Justice - Long sword +4/+7 vs evil - the only weapon for Paladins!

Restored/Singing Blade of Aihonon - Very powerful Longsword +5

Wind of Heaven - 1D8+4/+5 vs elementals

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That about takes care of them. If you want spoiling on any locations of the above weapons, I'll be happy to help (as I'm sure will many of the IWD veterans here at IW).

As for shops, be sure to keep checking back to Kuldahar, as the merchants gain more powerful equipment during the latter stages of the game. You'll also find some great items in Lonleywood when (and if?) you start Heart of Winter.

BTW welcome to the board!

[ 11-26-2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Jim ]
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 11:57 AM   #3
Snowking
Dungeon Master

thanks alot jim.could you tell me where to get the blade of action?looks like a powerful blade.besides,is the blood armor the best armor?regarding the shops,i find that Colan is selling all the same things.
Snowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 07:50 PM   #4
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

welcome Snowking! "Best armour" depends on which character class you're talking about. There's a set of armour that will allow cleric/mages to cast both types of spells whilst having a decent armour class. (This is also the armour to have if you have a bard with HoW installed.)

Doesn't Bhaal's Fire do 1d4 physical and 1d4 fire damage - 2d4 overall?
Old 11-28-2002, 05:05 AM   #5
Jim
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowking:
thanks alot jim.could you tell me where to get the blade of action?looks like a powerful blade.besides,is the blood armor the best armor?regarding the shops,i find that Colan is selling all the same things.
Glad to be of help [img]smile.gif[/img] There are many weapons of action through out the game, with varying levels of enchantment. The longsword +4 and the morningstar of action +4 were the best IMO. I can only think of one location off the top of my head (I know I found more than one last time through), and that was on the body of a mercenary warriors of Vaarglan's clan, in a battle outside the tavern in Lonleywood.

About the best armour...the Bathed-in-Blood is the best platemail in the game (+4), but I prefer to use full plate+1 or field plate +2 because of the superior AC modifiers these armours provide over plate mail. IIRC platemail provides +3 AC against slashing weapons, where as field/full plate provides +4 against slashing, +4 against missile and +4 against piercing. Even though the base AC of the blood armour is higher (AC -1) than these types of armour (AC 0), the bonus AC modifiers provide equal protection against slashing weapons (both AC -4), superior protection over piercing and missile (-4 vs 0), but slightly worse against blunt weapons (0 vs -1).

You'll find some extraordinairy plate mail in HoW BTW

Quote:
regarding the shops,i find that Colan is selling all the same things.
Right. Conlan's items don't change, but at the start of each chapter, go and see Orrick the Grey, and he'll get some cool new items. Be aware however that these items will disapear as he gets new items, so if you see something you like, buy it while you can!

Quote:
Doesn't Bhaal's Fire do 1d4 physical and 1d4 fire damage - 2d4 overall?
That's the Troll Slayer bastard sword from Colan in Kuldahar, Bhaal's fire is different
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 07:08 PM   #6
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Blimey I've been out of the loop or what! Quite right Jim, thanks for the correction. I guess I never realised how good that sword really is then. Talk about a fool...