Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2003, 09:39 PM   #1
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I just finished this interpretive essay based on a poem of my choosing. The poem (or song), Downfall by TRUSTcompany, goes something like this:

Fear in me so deep it gets the best of me,
In the fear I fall, here it comes face to face with me,
Here I stand hold back so no one can see,
I feel these wounds, step down, step down,
step down.

(am I) Breaking Down
Can I break away
Push me away, make me fall,
Just to see, another side of me,
Push me away, you can see,
what I see, the other side of me.

Fall back on me, and I’ll be the strength I need,
to save me now, just come face to face with me,
stay in place you'll be the first to see, me heal these wounds,
step down, step down, step down, down

I’m not breaking, down
can I break away
push me away, make me fall,
just to see another side of me,
push me away you can see,
what I see, the other side of me

Go!

Fall, can I break away
push me away, make me fall,
just to see another side of me,
push me away you can see,
what I see, the other side of me

No one can see anything on the other side of me
I walk, I crawl, losing everything and waiting for the downfall
No one can see everything on the other side of me
I walk, I crawl losing everything on the downfall.
Downfall, Fall.

And my interpretation shall follow:

main idea/thesis
In Downfall by TrustCompany, fear manipulates the author in a similar manner as a puppeteer governs the actions of a marionette. The choice of wording helps to convey the author's tone of forced indignation, and the use of figurative language exemplifies the poem's meaning.

body
The repetition of certain words and the positioning of others specifies the situation as an unpleasant experience. The title alone, expresses a degradation of morale, such as a lack of confidence expressed in lines 1-2, "Fear in me so deep it gets the best of me / In the fear I fall, here it comes, face to face with me." Phrases such as "fall back" and "break away" seem to depict a willingness for separation. The overall diction illustrates a feeling of failure and helplessness, and the only apparant evidence contradicting this approximation are lines 12 and 13, which state: "Fall back on me, and I'll be the strength I need / To save me now, just come face to face with me." Through word choice and repetition, we can further evaluate the pessimism present within the author's tone.

Because fear is an unruly domination it is a little more than expected that the speaker would hold this superstition with such low regard. The refrain generalizes fear as an impudent hector, one that antagonizes for the sheer pleasure of witnessing the result. Such provocation seems to have produced an outcome, present in lines 4-5, "I feel these wounds, step down, step down / step down." As well as being viewed as a domineering oppressor, fear has also acquired the title of an unrelenting parasite, much like line 1 of the opening stanza, "Fear in me so deep it gets the best of me." Similar to other situations in which a solution is inconceivable, the author's tone gradually transgresses to acceptance. As an unexpected evolution, fear becomes more of what it was to begin with even after a failed resistance.

Taken from line 2, "In the fear, I fall, here it comes face to face with me," the concept of facing fear may seem a little far-fetched, but the actuality of confronting a problem would be much more convincing. In the way the author addresses the fear demonstrates his recognition of its personal qualities; suffice to say his arguement includes a brief conversation with the principle. Examples include lines 10, "Push me away, you can see," and 12, "Fall back on me, and I'll be the strength I need." While the poem accommodates very little symbolism, the ideas mentioned are enough to persuade one of its general meaning.

conclusion
Fear predominates over thought and reason, with the protagonist left to assume the role of pawn, and bear the scars of internal strife.

Criticize my thoughts and question my ideas, I just need someone else's view on what makes sense and what doesn't.

Much obliged. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2003, 10:24 PM   #2
Sakuri23
Dungeon Master

Your essay sounds very good. Although, when I first read it, it sounded like he was afraid to let other people see a different side of himself... "Just to see, another side of me". When I read it, it felt as if he is isolated and that he wanted to show his true self. Sorry, I don't know if you get any of this out of it, but I thought that maybe it could help. Your essay is very well written and it expresses the emotion well, so that sounds like it would be great. Sakuri
Old 10-15-2003, 11:18 PM   #3
Nanobyte

Yes, I guess I could. I interpreted those lines as "the other side" being the one displayed through fear, but I guess it could be his better side.

Thanks Sakuri.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:28 PM   #4
Nanobyte

Arrow

I'll be the strength I need. This essay must be perfect if no one else can find any fault in it.