Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2001, 07:49 PM   #31
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord:
That's why it is good to have fighter/mages, when the rifle runs our of bullets, you still have the bayonet (CHARGE!!!!).

Yeah ! Fighter/mages rule !

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-13-2001, 10:50 PM   #32
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:

the whole Kara-tur is a imitation of ancient Asia.
Exactly "dude" an imitation is not the real McCoy.
I don't care where you're from. Not all Australians know about Australia. All I need is to have seen one movie, read one book or heard one myth that you haven't for you to be wrong. Which is obviously the case. Remember that for a start, the Djinn is Asian and they practice magic, but this is beside the point. You are obviously intent on limiting Asia to the Chinese sphere of influence, yet even so, I HAVE HEARD OF CHINESE WIZARDS. Are you not reading this? Song Jiang was a wizard who cast fireballs. The cheesy fantasy show "Monkey" (made in Asia) had the hero practicing magic and fighting demons and wizards. To make such a statement of yours without quantification is a foolish thing indeed.

Thankyou for the moral support Hesperex.

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!
Old 03-13-2001, 11:18 PM   #33
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Traditionally in Chinese Folklore (Im taking reference to Journey to the West, which is probably the source material for that "monkey" show you were talking about), there were spirits and entities capable of flight/levitation, shapeshifting, manipulation of the elements and other "magical" properties. In Chinese History, Scientists, Doctors and Alchemists (China was probably the most technologically advanced country in it's era before the Western countries began their own rapid modernisation) could also have been referred to as "mages" and "clerics" because of their almost legendary ability (to the common folk) to perform feats of healing and science, like the invention of primitive bombs/inciendiary devices for use on a battlefield. To a common soldier or a peasant, these could very well have been interpreted as fireballs. Chinese battles were often quite inventive and technology-dependant on the latest innovations from court scientists.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, It has been a while since I last read up Chinese History, No offence indended to anyone, no offence will be taken if anyone proves me wrong

------------------
Why?

[This message has been edited by Lifetime (edited 03-13-2001).]
Old 03-14-2001, 12:25 AM   #34
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Very good reply Lifetime. Well done. I take a bow.
We should meet up BTW. I'll be in Singapore for a few more weeks you know.

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!
Old 03-14-2001, 12:28 AM   #35
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

How is your trip Yorick? I trust that you are enjoying journeys.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-14-2001, 04:40 AM   #36
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Thanks Accord, certainly am. Loving it. Enjoying my time here immensely

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!
Old 03-14-2001, 05:41 AM   #37
Donut
Jack Burton

Sorry Off Topic

I just need to catch Yorick.

Yorick RE LAXMAN (254 n.o what is going on?)

------------------
The Truth is in the Profile
Old 03-14-2001, 05:53 AM   #38
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Exactly "dude" an imitation is not the real McCoy.
I don't care where you're from. Not all Australians know about Australia. All I need is to have seen one movie, read one book or heard one myth that you haven't for you to be wrong. Which is obviously the case. Remember that for a start, the Djinn is Asian and they practice magic, but this is beside the point. You are obviously intent on limiting Asia to the Chinese sphere of influence, yet even so, I HAVE HEARD OF CHINESE WIZARDS. Are you not reading this? Song Jiang was a wizard who cast fireballs. The cheesy fantasy show "Monkey" (made in Asia) had the hero practicing magic and fighting demons and wizards. To make such a statement of yours without quantification is a foolish thing indeed.

Thankyou for the moral support Hesperex.

Dijing is not asian, they are from elemental plane. i dont know how you got the idea of an asian dijing into your head. they might be from kara-tur recently, but their homelands is elemental plane. a good example of current kingdom of sand Calisman (something like that). it was originally founded by genies from fire elemental.
the point is, they are from asia doesnt mean asia has mage.

and that cheesy show monkey thing got nothing to do with wizards, they are godlings, immortal and priests with great faith. they are not WIZARD. asians' tales involve no wizard
Old 03-14-2001, 06:19 AM   #39
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I shall not bother throwing pearls before swine number 250 so this shall be my last post to you.

The Djinn are Arabic are they not? The Arabian Nights? The Genie of the lamp? Arabic countries are in Asia I believe, and not in a fantasy elemental plane.

Did you read Lifetimes post or did you fill your eyes with dung?

Magic in mythology is used to describe feats beyond the understanding of mere men. Practitioners of such arcane crafts are labelled many things in different areas. Druids of Celtic Mythology, Fakhirs from India, Shamen and Witchdoctors from Africa, and now we have been illuminated by Lifetimes eloquent post on Chinese "Magicians".

Thus in Baldurs Gate 2 the closest one could get to a practitioner of such mysteries would fall under the character classes, Mage, Enchanter, Diviner, Transmuter, etc. to fit in with an 'Asian' theme, just as an Assassin could loosely be linked to a Ninja and a Cleric to a physician or even a Jesuit-like Missionary.

I enjoy discussions and differing opinions, but your refusal to debate factualy without appearing to read or respect anothers opinion bores me.

Adios number 250.

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!
Old 03-14-2001, 06:24 AM   #40
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Sorry Off Topic

I just need to catch Yorick.

Yorick RE LAXMAN (254 n.o what is going on?)

I have no idea. I am in despair Donut!

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!