Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2003, 01:14 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6881

JAPANESE WIRE the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported that a coalition of academics and electronics combine are designing an optical disk that will eventually be able to store 1.5TB (terabytes) of data.
Although we're unlikely to see such devices until 2010, the consortium, which includes Matsushita, Ricoh, Pioneer, Mitsubishi, and three universities, is plunging $25 million into an R&D project which will start in Spring of 2003.

Reports said that optical disk will use "3D" optical technology likely to use a technique which stores the data in multiple layers.

It will also be backwards compatible with standard DVDs, the reports said, with its storage ability equivalent to around 300 DVDs using the current format. µ

* BY 2010, according to senior Intel architects, a CPU will have processing power equivalent to the brain of a bumble bee

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 01-06-2003, 02:13 AM   #2
esquire
The Magister

Cool, maybe then P.J. will be able to release the super extended 24hour version of LOTR
Old 01-06-2003, 02:34 AM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by esquire:
Cool, maybe then P.J. will be able to release the super extended 24hour version of LOTR
I'd love to see ALL the dailies fro LotR's! (All the cuts and reprints they dropped out)..

Man... 300 DVD's.. Terabytes are coming.. they say 2010, but I would guess it would be more like 2005. Because Berkley is working on gallium nitride crystal which will replace ALL Memory and Hard Drives by 2011.

And with this--say you copy 1gig of files to another Crystal; it would be instant. no waiting...

The future is looking bright!

Old 01-06-2003, 02:42 AM   #4
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

The advancement of technology is incredible these days...
Apparantly we've advanced more quickly in the last hundred years than about 500 years ago or something like that...
Old 01-06-2003, 05:50 AM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

This same technology is used for new HDDs as well. Faster, bigger and safer.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:13 AM   #6
B_part
Quintesson

Hmmm... perhaps the future isn't so bright at all: according to Lazlo Kish, Texas University, the Moore law is going to be proved wrong in a few years.

What's the moore law? in 1965 gordon moore, cofounder of Intel, predicted that the calculating power of computer chips would double eveery 18 months due to miniaturization. This has been true until today, but there is a limit to this: somewhere along the line the random noise from thermal molecular movement will become indistinct from the real data, making the chip unable to work. They thought this would happen only in 20 years from now, but these new studies suggest that we might not have a Pentium 9 after all.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:29 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

One word: Whoa.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:40 AM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by B_part:
Hmmm... perhaps the future isn't so bright at all: according to Lazlo Kish, Texas University, the Moore law is going to be proved wrong in a few years.

What's the moore law? in 1965 gordon moore, cofounder of Intel, predicted that the calculating power of computer chips would double eveery 18 months due to miniaturization. This has been true until today, but there is a limit to this: somewhere along the line the random noise from thermal molecular movement will become indistinct from the real data, making the chip unable to work. They thought this would happen only in 20 years from now, but these new studies suggest that we might not have a Pentium 9 after all.
Yeah, I've read about this. It means: Once we get our circuit paths down to atomic sizes, 2 seperate paths could 'bleed' into each other.. once we hit like 2 atoms or something...

We're a ways off from that though.. and THAT report is based on silicon I believe. I'm sure we'll come up with a totally NEW element by the time this happens with silicon. (I would hope).

Old 01-06-2003, 08:17 AM   #9
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

good and after that they can build a Terrahertz Processor [img]tongue.gif[/img]

This is very frightening I look forward to it ^_^

I wonder just how you'd fill up a whole one of those disks...
Old 01-06-2003, 10:33 AM   #10
Niadh
Elminster

Currently you need to have a speciliased part of a mother board to read an HD of over 137 GB, but there is a 200GB out there, just not fully usable. But 1.5 terrabyte...insane, but by that time games will be big, very pretty,probably on DVD imho and the machines might have taken us over by that point.
A Knight is sworn to darkness. <br />His heart knows only hatred.<br />His sword destroys the helpless,<br />His might imprisons the weak.<br />His wrath upholds the wicked, <br />His word speaks only lies.<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.boomspeed.com/niadh/newiwsig.jpg\" alt=\" - \" />