Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2002, 06:24 AM   #1
Merlin Al'Thor
Drow Warrior

i'll recently gotten Icewind Dale and on the box it has really kick-arse, BGII like graphics pics. But when i installed it ,it has BG graphics!! Isn't that illegal to do stuff like that? (Q. if i install and say i have over 300Mhz will it look better>picked lower so it'll run without slow down>and when i uninstall will it delete my saved games?>could check manual or readme but too lazy)Oh yeah some more In-game Q's is Drizzt Do'Urden, Cattie-Brie etc. in this game? (just wanna kick their arses again(Drizzts scimitars suck though)Checked spell list and it has really weird spells which aren;t in BGII(water elemental everyone?)

I know this post is jammed packed with lots of stuff but haven;t been to this forum in weeks, any help welcomed

[ 10-22-2002, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: Merlin Al'Thor ]
Old 10-22-2002, 07:00 AM   #2
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

I'd consider IWD to be more like BG2 than BG1 in terms of graphics, being an intermediary between the two games. I can't say about BG2, but there are plenty of areas in-game that make a decent processer chug, but that is what you get for having better graphics on it. [img]smile.gif[/img] This of course is the european version I'm playing with.

As for saves...I don't think it uninstalls them with the rest of the game. Don't quote me on this, as you may find that they disappear on you if you don't save them manually. (Honestly can't remember as I follow the manual method all the time.)

Also, Drizzt et al do not appear in the game. Only the BG series forces you to suffer that character.

As for the spells...it is rather BG2 which does not have the spells that IWD possesses. It is BG2's loss as far as IWD fans are concerned. Bards and Druids kick ar$e in this game; whereas in BG1/2 they're universally regarded as inferior. This is a good game, and well worth playing. The fact that it is so different than the BG series is one of the strengths. After all, you can only take annoying NPCs so much before you want to kill them yourself. Give it a go Merlin, it might surprise you.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:42 AM   #3
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Merlin Al'Thor:
i'll recently gotten Icewind Dale and on the box it has really kick-arse, BGII like graphics pics. But when i installed it ,it has BG graphics!! Isn't that illegal to do stuff like that? (Q. if i install and say i have over 300Mhz will it look better>picked lower so it'll run without slow down>and when i uninstall will it delete my saved games?>could check manual or readme but too lazy)Oh yeah some more In-game Q's is Drizzt Do'Urden, Cattie-Brie etc. in this game? (just wanna kick their arses again(Drizzts scimitars suck though)Checked spell list and it has really weird spells which aren;t in BGII(water elemental everyone?)

I know this post is jammed packed with lots of stuff but haven;t been to this forum in weeks, any help welcomed
this game takes place about 20 years prior to drizzt ascending to the surface world, so he will not make an appearance.

this game came out before bg2, and I do wish that more of the spells had kept the IWD look (abi dalzim's horrid wilting for instance) although I love the Ignus/fire elementals in BG2
Old 10-22-2002, 12:44 PM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I agree with what Lord Brass has to say so I am not going to be long winded here. I will ad that if you have Trials of the Luremaster installed then you are getting some of the BGII creatures with that expansion. I really liked the graphics in IWD and they do a really good job on creatures and spells. The thing about BGII is they do some things better but other things are better left alone. An example of this is trolls, personally I think the various Trolls in IWD are far better looking than some of the chessy trolls in BGII.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:58 PM   #5
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Most of you guys know by now that I've had BG:SoA/ToB for about a year now. I still haven't started it, but I have had a look, and I must confess that I'm not a big fan of the (general) look of BG2 for the most part. Obviously, I haven't seen much past the opening area and a little of Athkatla, but that's normally enough for me. Trite reason? Perhaps, but why slog through a game I'm not really enjoying, when I may find that I'll pick it up later and love every second of it. I can wait.

However, I keep playing IWD in the mean time, waiting for Virg1n 1nteractive to get their ar$e$ in gear and release IWD2 over in Europe. Horses for courses I suppose, as many will disagree. All I know is that I prefer one over the other.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:06 PM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

Merlin,

IWD graphics (resolution and area viewed), as well as a lot of other things improve a lot with Heart of Winter (HoW) expansion installed. Try it, you'll like it!

IIRC, the initial IWD was barred from having BG II style graphics, because of legal considerations that had nothing to do with what the designers were willing and capable of doing: Had something to do with BG2 license sale stipulating that sellor of the rights not steal BG2's thunder with a comparably featured game and thereby impact sales of BG2.

[ 10-22-2002, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote