Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2002, 05:39 PM   #1
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Well. I don't normally ask for advice on battles cause you get the old cliches defensive spells blah blah (plus those helpful 'gee I didn't find it hard at all! How dumb are you?' posts - seriously, keep it to yourself ), but I'm very stuck here. We even broke out the wand of bull's strength as a last resort; we have improved haste and emotion: hope, but the closest we came was him almost dead and three of us extremely dead .

Suggestions? Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2002, 08:41 PM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Xvim is most susceptible to bludgeoning damage, so get out any good hammers or similar that you may have. The only spell I found useful against him was Lance of Disruption, because this does blunt damage. Just be careful you don't hit your own people with it.

You may want to try some summoning spells if you have them. Cast those just before you start the ritual, rather than waiting for the fight to begin. They should also help to keep some of his friends off your back for awhile.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 09:23 PM   #3
Khazraj
Dungeon Master

I found this fight to be the most laborious. I knocked off the summonned minions and then summonned my own long life undead and kept him busy. By moving around and having him surrounded by my summons with continual bashing from my main tanks he went down in about 5 to 10 mins. I found this very boring, but I did not need to reload more than once. Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:50 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Nightowl2:
Xvim is most susceptible to bludgeoning damage, so get out any good hammers or similar that you may have. The only spell I found useful against him was Lance of Disruption, because this does blunt damage. Just be careful you don't hit your own people with it.
Actually half the time it said he was immune to my bludgeoning damage (and my piercing damage as well ) while sometimes he did take damage *scratches head*

Anyway we managed it in the end with only one casualty. Was annoying actually - we got him down to when he starts whinging about being immortal and it's not fair to kill him with no one dead and actually most of us pretty healthy, and he suddenly started a rampage and finished off two of us (we resurrected one)! Stupid Xvim

Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2002, 05:17 PM   #5
Magness
Quintesson

These are Xvim's resistances:

15/+3 damage resistance (need +3 weapon or better to hit, or first 15 points of damage ignored)

15 point slashing damage resistance
0 crushing damage resistance
5 point piercing damage resistance
5 point missile weapon resistance
100 point fire resistance
100 point acid resistance
-5 cold vulnerability
-5 electrical vulnerability

5 point magic damage resistance

Immune to critical hits
34 AC

Crushing, cold, and electrical damage are Xvim's primary weaknesses.

Don't even bother trying to damage Xvim with a +2 slashing weapon, cuz' you'll be looking at 30 (!!!) points of resistance.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 09:38 PM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The +3 reduction explains why sometimes Aelia's damage got through and sometimes it didn't. I am surprised, though, that she wasn't using +3 by this time in the game.

By the way, where did you get those stats? I've been wanting to grab a list of monsters stats for some time.

Nightowl2
Old 10-20-2002, 10:20 PM   #7
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Well the only bludgeoning person we had was my monk (didn't realise bludgeoning was the way to go, others were using axe and halberb) and I think his fists are only +2?
Old 10-21-2002, 01:13 AM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

A monk needs to be 16th level to have "+3" hands. So it could be he wasn't able to get through most of the time. Ah well, you'll know this now for the next romp through the game.

Nightowl2