Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 12:31 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The movie made me want to play it again, and I remember that back then, there was a mode that allowed you to chose a marine and your weapon, then you'd be alone on a map with an infinite nomber of aliens coming after you, and you had to stay alive as long as possible. As far as I can remember, this was a multiplayer mode.

Well... I reinstalled AvP 2, and I can't find that mode anymore. Was that in the first one?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Yes, it was. Though I find it strange that they didn't include it in AvP 2.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:36 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
The movie made me want to play it again, and I remember that back then, there was a mode that allowed you to chose a marine and your weapon, then you'd be alone on a map with an infinite nomber of aliens coming after you, and you had to stay alive as long as possible. As far as I can remember, this was a multiplayer mode.

Well... I reinstalled AvP 2, and I can't find that mode anymore. Was that in the first one?
Dammit! I liked that so much...

Would the graphics of the first one be "ok" still now?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

You betcha. IMHO, the second one was too buggy and odd to be better than the first. The first is always my fav.
I think there is even a way for the marine to take up the Predator's weapons, but that's just a rumor.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

The second AvP is deliberate in pacing, story driven, and overall is a more experimental and different game from the first.

The first follows certain conventions more, and while older, its visuals, including post-process effects, lighting and physics, are all superior.

However, Rebellion chose to paint a lesser picture with more paints the first time round, so the second project was handed to Monolith, who produced one of their few good games.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I think the first one was the creepiest. Although I liked the suspence element in the AvP2. You didn't see a single enemy in the first few marine missions.. brilliant [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:22 PM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Yeah, I would much prefer AVP2 it was much better looking, better story, better weapons, and much scarier.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
Jorath Calar
Harper

It's called Skirmish mode in the First one, I think my best time is 20 seconds... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I like the Predator missions in the first on best.
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:56 AM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I completed the game with the Marine and the Alien. I liked the story, but it was a little short, and there were some bugs.

There are lots of time when I would end up stuck in a pit, or I would miss a lever, and when I realise I can't go further and I probably missed one, I can't get back to it.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:58 AM   #10
Darkman

I played both and I thought they were great games. I haven't seen the new movie yet since it got bad reviews and a P13 rating. Seems to me like they were just trying to cash in on the franchise name instead of trying to make a good movie. Anyway, I still play AVP2 multiplayer games on a regular basis. Unfortunately there aren't many good players still around who aren't cheap lamers or snobby elitists. I guess that's probably true for most online games though...

For example, this scenario happens to me almost every time I sit down to play AVP2:

I finally find a decent server and start fragging some marines...

Pink Panther has been kicked from the game
[img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

So I return to the server to see why they booted me...

Me: Why was I kicked??
Elitist Dork: your using Aimbot
Me: You have to be kidding...
Elistist Dork: CHEATER!!!

Pink Panther has been kicked from the game

[img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]