Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2002, 10:52 AM   #41
Argus
The Magister

I stand duly corrected Donut

In terms of the other fact I quoted concerning numbers, I realized that I was wrong when I said that 150 was the number of Allied casualties in the Gulf War, that was only the US casualties, total casualties were closer to 200+.

Not to split hairs, but I had always read that 10 of the 25 British deaths were as a result of American fire...regardless its 10 too many.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:28 PM   #42
Thoran
Galvatron

Ryanamur I'd seen those statistics... but in fact they don't really PROVE anything. The fact that they can enumerate all the instances is actually a support of my position. In the past nobody ever bothered to keep track of FF incidents... because they happened ALL THE TIME.

I see a lot of percentages being thrown around... 35% this, 25% that. It's very easy to make a number look however you want it to look if you just find a small enough number to compare it to. You can even make the incredible achievement of a hundred casualties out of a force of 750,000 look like a bad thing. I'd recommend you take a look at other wars... the PERCENTAGE of FF casualties in WW2 for instance might have been much smaller... but the # of deaths due to friendly fire was certainly a couple orders of magnitude MORE.

I'm not interested in percentages, I'd like to see statistical data that would establish that the US somehow is involved in more FF incidents relative to troops deployed/sorties flown than other countries. I just don't think you'll find that the REAL numbers support this idea of US carelessness.