Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

Hello all! Just won HotU finally and now starting over with a spellcaster type (I'm usually more of a tank type character). What recommendations would people have for me to go through the OC and then through the HotU expansion? I would assume I will at some point be a pale master but what would oh ye of vast experience recommend? Thanks a lot.
deadmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 12:14 AM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Start of as a wizard, and then if your used to melee then get some levels of pale master to help your AC.

If you go all levels as a wizard you will be throwing some VERY powerful spells. The Bioware Epic builds pages has some good templates for you.

Check it out here

http://nwn.bioware.com/underdark/character_builds.html

If your looking at a level 40 build a sorcerer/paladin is a good build as they both take advantage of a high charisma.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

Play a wizard rather than a sorcerer. The reason for that being that you can experiment with different spells more easily and find out which, and in which combinations, work best for you.
You'll also get bonus feats which will help experimentation with various metamagics.

As a non-rp wizard, put a lot of points in intelligence, and most of the rest in constitution. You can use the extra hitpoints.

In my opinion, going Palemaster for the AC bonus is pointless. Mages will always have one of the lowest ACs in the game and it's doubtful that bonus is great enough to offset the disadvantage.
Damage reduction spells, high hitpoints, meat shield summons, the 50% concealment from improved invisibility, and the ability to kill almost anything off or at least stop it with one or two spells should be enough to keep safe.

If you really want AC, take Still Spell metamagic feats and a fighter level, then you can use heavy armor and tower shields. The bonus combat feats you can spend on Improved Expertise for another +10 AC bonus.

Where skillpoints are concerned, your wizardly high intelligence means you have plenty to spare.
Another common non-rp trick is to take the odd bard or rogue level which lets you pour skillpoints into many of the skills at half price. That's another +4 AC due to Tumble. You won't get a better bonus until PM level 9 (although the one's a dodge bonus and the other natural AC).

Of course, it would be more fun to play a wizard with more balanced stats, and to pick the classes you play for their own sake rather than any advantages they bring. But that might just be me.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote