Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 06:41 AM   #21
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
The NWN's protection is actually very good considering that with each new patch Atari change it, making it not even worth the time to keep up with as opposed to going out and actually buying the thing. Sure, there will be pirate modules but with the difficulty and (I expect) ongoing patches to these modules they will be few and far between. I MAY play them if they prove to be exceptional I am sure I could find a special offer/reduced price somewhere after a time.
Nah it suck, anyone can just go to megagames and download the latest crack, just like any other game...

The cd key alone is not enough to stop piracy and they know it. Just as it does not stop people from pirating NWN or any other games that ask for a cd key at install. Even Windows is pirated, and it has a cd key check too.

The only real protection is a check every time you start it or load a game, but in my opinion, when copy protection get in the way of the legit customer, you have a problem.

So, you bought the product, but lose your internet connection for a reason or another. You can't play the game you paid for? Seem pretty annoying to me...

If the modules get popular enough to attract the attention of a real and determined pirate, they will get pirated. Of course it has to be worth it, because potentialy, it might take a lot of modification to remove the protection...
[/QUOTE]Disagree. Had major trouble making backup copies of NWN's, SOU and HotU. Each used different protections and like I said these protections are updated every patch or so. On top of that you need a legit CD-key for each one. Yes it can be done if the time is put in but the protective measures by no means "suck" IMHO. NWN's is actually one of the most highy-protected games I have ever bought, causing me to complain to Atari about them obstructing my legal right to backup what I own.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:48 AM   #22
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

This only mean you suck at it... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I always do the backup for my friends since they're not that good with computers, and NWN wasn't any harder than any other game.

Serials aren't hard to get. I'm sure if I wanted I could find about a dozen of them in a few minutes.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:48 PM   #23
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Has anyone seen the new chapter of Feast for Crows on his site? It's pretty good. [img]smile.gif[/img]

*spoilers*

Cersei seems to have ended up alone. Joffrey dead, Tywin dead, Clegaine dying, Tyrion a refugee and Kevan preparing to go home. In the meanwhile, the Tyrells are getting more and more ambitious which each passing day. I can't wait 'till the book is available.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:54 PM   #24
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

LOL, Velk, I didn't understand a word of your post except 'a', an' and 'the.'
Old 10-28-2004, 11:12 PM   #25
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Guys lets just remember that we should not be talking about the cracking of games as its against the TOS for Ironworks. Lets keep the talk on the premium modules and not how easy or how hard it may be to crack them.

Cheers!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:57 AM   #26
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I assumed since Luvian was talking about it that it was ok, simply skirting the issue and without going into specifics about how-to it would simply become a topical subject. I will keep it as general as possible, however.

I still think you are wrong though, Luvian. I bet you suck at it more [img]tongue.gif[/img] . In relation to what you said...NWN's maybe but the expansions, no. I have been backing up my games for a long time now and still believe their protective measures are extreme in comparison. Let me clarify, it is not about who 'sucks' at what per se but rather time taken and effort spent as a gauge to measure protection.

As far as checking to see if a copy is legit when the game starts, NWN's has always had this and it is called SecureRom. Many on the Bioware forums complain about it causing them problems booting the game up. Go to the forums there and do a search, you will see just how stubborn it is by some peoples' experiences with legit games they bought. This, along with the numerous other anti-pirate protections on these games, Cd-keys (which cannot be simulated btw), CW protections and a frequent patchly update on securerom along with 1 other measure which I will not mention here (it would breach the TOS imho) making for a less than easy backup procedure. Anyways, let's agree to disagree on this one.

[ 10-29-2004, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 10-29-2004, 06:08 AM   #27
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

As long as we keep the conversation about backups and not cracking the software then its ok.

No CD cracks are fine to talk about since some people need to use them because of certain copy protections (Atari Tech Support have recomended this to a number of people)

Just thought I would head off any other talk about it before it happened. No one did anything wrong.