Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
Taran
Manshoon

well, i made a party based on the prydian series (written by loyd alaxander) and i think the part is a bit interesting.

i have:
a palidin
a ranger
a invoker
a bard
a theif
a cleric

now, this is an odd party, and it bothers me cause theres more muscle than spells, and i usually go with 2 wizards, but what do you think of bards??
this is really the first time ive used them, and they almost seem usless, but im probably going through with 'em anyway. I know there is a special harp you can get, but does it go away after a certain number of uses??? (im almost sure it does) also, what kind of bonus do you get from his song, i know some moral, but how many and what else, also, does the song get more powerful as the bard levels up,

THaNKs
Taran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Items that can be used to cast the music don't have a certain number of charges, although they might be usable just x times per day.
Are you running BGT or BGtutu?
There is most certainly not more muscle than magic in that party. 2 fighters, 1 spell caster, 1 half fighter/spell caster (the cleric), and then the bard, which could also kinda be considered a mix. Bards may be useful in BG1 because you can't get your saving throws too low (legitimately, that is), so they can help out. Some songs make you immune to fear, add a saving throw bonus, add combat bonuses (I guess it increases your 'to hit' roll).

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:49 PM   #3
Taran
Manshoon

good, so that harp in the totsc place, oh the name excapes me now, but it doesnt go away, thanks that is great!
Old 02-19-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
Midget Gems

Bards only get the one song in BG1, which is very disapointing compared with, say, IWD/HOW where the Bard-Songs are almost too powerful. I find Bards are ok as Archers and auxillary Magic uses, plus the identify skill as well. But the one really useful thing they can do is use Wands and in BG1 these are very powerful items, so Wand users get a big advantage.

I did notice this interesting feature the other day when I had Eldoth as my companion - if I switched from Bard-song to a weapon then the song stops straight away, however if I engage AI and let this select a weapon in response to an attack, then the song goes on playing for quite some time. This 'lingering song' effect makes perfectly good role-playing sense to me, but I never noticed it before in any of my previous games.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:18 PM   #5
Darkman

Sounds like a solid party to me. Nice mix of tanks, artilery, and healing. You'll do fine

Now it's been a while since I read these books, so let me try to guess the characters [img]smile.gif[/img]

Paladin - Gwydion?
Ranger - Taran
Invoker - Eilonwy (my fav char)
Bard - Fflewddur Fflam of course
Thief - Gurgi!
Cleric - Dori?
Old 02-19-2004, 06:56 PM   #6
Taran
Manshoon

GOOD JOb
PRETTY GOOD i knew somone out there had to have read these books. but the cleric isnt doli, its Coll, but still, nice job and thanks