Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 05:30 PM   #11
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Graphic card drivers can be a pain in the ass some times. So when can we expect to see Stormy in Undermountain?
Old 11-04-2004, 07:32 PM   #12
vesselle
Hathor

Smiley

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
just started it, and I have so many prgrams running in hidden mode I do not know how to shut them down
okay... this can be an issue, not only for gaming, but for just going online and browsing.

~click your start button
~choose the "run" command
~in the command box, type this:
msconfig
~a system configuration window will open on your desktop
~click the first tab... GENERAL
~choose "selective startup"
~select the first 3 options, leaving "load startup items" unchecked
~click "apply"
~now click the last tab... STARTUP
~you should have a nice LONG list of everything that opens, and runs hidden every time you boot up
~go thru them and uncheck anything that's not essential
~click "apply" and "close"

nothing will unload till you reboot, so you can either do that right away or just wait for the next time.
also, remember to check msconfig periodically, because some programs are hugely persistent and act as tho' they should be there.

the only things you really want to load are things that are absolutely needed. for instance, all i keep are my mouse driver and my virus scanner loaded. but there are always about 30 things that believe they SHOULD load, including the windows updater, creative sound mixer, real player, quicktime, etc. but for peace of mind and a clean system, none of those are essential.

additionally, you should check your systray everytime you get ready to open a game. you should disable anything down there, except your sound volume. this includes your virus scanner, which is notorious for slowing down gameplay. i think it could even be the number one program that needs to be turned off while you play.

the systray HIDES programs, too. you need to check that, too.
~r/click near the time in your systray
~TWO menud will pop up
~cancel out the top one
~on the one that was behind it, choose Customize Notifications
~choose the TASKBAR button
~activate "Hide Inactive Icons" if it already isn't
~click CUSTOMIZE
~now take a look at the list of icons that hide themselves in your systray.
wow! huh?
~anything there you want to get rid of, unhide it. this way it'll show in your systray and you can then eliminate it.
~eliminate it by r/clicking the now unhidden icon and choose "exit"

i find maintaining these conditions to be a huge help, and haven't ever had any kind of slowdown or lag on my computer. even when i run 2 games at the same time. oh wait, 3 games if you count the web-based Adventure Quest.

good luck!

V***V

[ 11-04-2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: vesselle ]
Old 11-04-2004, 09:49 PM   #13
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

hey, what do you know...I just bought a new computer well anyway as soon as I can get a few levels under my belt now I will get online with you guys and kick some tails [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]