Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2002, 06:45 PM   #11
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Well I don't know much about it Magik, but it seems to me that what you said is what an anarchist believes in. Complete individual freedom combined with social responsibilty? Not trying to start anything, but this is what the anarchists I know believe in.
I don't really know any anarchists personally, the ones I have seen in protests don't follow the rule I positedd about my freedom stopping where yours is affected. They were advocating no rules at all of any kind.

Anarchy by definition has no constraints. So maybe you know modified anarchists (not that they have modified themselves, errr they might have but thats not what I meant)
[/QUOTE]Mmmm no, anarchy by definition just means without ruling power, ie a state. From the Greek 'an' meaning without, and 'arch' meaning ruling power (the 'governors' of Athens had the title Archon). Quite simple etymology, not really any room to misinterpret the meaning of the word! Anarchists have a strong sense of social responsibility. ie. their ideal is to have no state, but where everyone looks after each other and ensures their own freedom and the freedom of others.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:09 PM   #12
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Liberty and freedom are equivalents. Liberty is the ability to pursue that which makes you happy. Of course, if your pursuit of happiness infringes upon someone else's life or liberty then you have to change what you are pursuing.

Simply stated, and stated simply. That's the way it is with such basic concepts.

It may sound as if I am bordering on "do what thou wilt"--and I am--but there is a lot of truth in that maxim.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:03 PM   #13
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Mmmm no, anarchy by definition just means without ruling power, ie a state. From the Greek 'an' meaning without, and 'arch' meaning ruling power (the 'governors' of Athens had the title Archon). Quite simple etymology, not really any room to misinterpret the meaning of the word! Anarchists have a strong sense of social responsibility. ie. their ideal is to have no state, but where everyone looks after each other and ensures their own freedom and the freedom of others.
Here's the definition I am most familiar with, #2 is the one I was thinking of, and more in line with what I observed of the Anarchists in Seattle last summer(or was it the summer before?). It was complete lawlessness and destruction, they went on a real rampage. There was absolutely no consideration for any thing or anyone. Very sad and very costly.

Main Entry: an·ar·chy
Pronunciation: 'a-n&r-kE, -"när-
Function: noun
Etymology: Medieval Latin anarchia, from Greek, from anarchos having no ruler, from an- + archos ruler -- more at ARCH-
Date: 1539
1 a : absence of government b : a state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of governmental authority c : a utopian society of individuals who enjoy complete freedom without government
2 a : absence or denial of any authority or established order b : absence of order : DISORDER
3 : ANARCHISM

Old 11-08-2002, 10:52 PM   #14
Steve Blake
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Good points Barry. It is food for thought. Ithink Larry got what i was trying to say across more clearly. Good topic.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:41 PM   #15
Chewbacca
Zartan

Liberty is an experience and a challenge. In the material world is the ability to create means and live worry-free. It is choosing your own course based on a spirit of greatness. This is where liberty differs from freedom.

I have the Liberty to smoke herb. Even if my liberty to do so is infringed upon by goverment laws, I am still free to smoke herb. And yet I am supposed to live in the land of liberty. Therefore Liberty is what you make it, even under oppressive circumstances.

American Liberty was forged from oppressive circumstance. Getting spit on, overtaxxed, or enslaved sure brings out the liberty in people.

Personal liberty is what makes up social liberty and is the most important in my book.

Or maybe I'm just stoned?

[ 11-08-2002, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]