Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2001, 05:58 PM   #1
kopema
Elite Waterdeep Guard

All I want is for my characters to automatically use ranged weapons if the target is far away and switch to melee if the target is near. Also it would be nice if the tanks switched whenever the target was about ten feet away or so and stepped up to it. I have tried using "Ranged fighter", etc., but this doesn't seem to do the trick.

Also, I can't find a Bard Script. It would be nice if the Bard automatically sung when he didn't have any other commands.

Is there a way to put together your own scripts or do you have to use the standard ones? Also, is there a hotkey to make all characters switch to ranged or melee weapons at the same time?
kopema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 06:26 PM   #2
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I think the answer is 'no' to all those questions. You use Mage scripts for the Bard - and if you find any way of getting her/him to STAY doing Bard song and not quit to get involved in the fight, TELL ME! PLEASE!
And Ranged fighter script is pretty rubbish - when you want him/her to engage in melee, s/he keeps going back to ranged weapons, leaving my fighter on her own to do the hack 'n slash bit.
It is sometimes better to have the AI option turned off! At least, that way they do as YOU tell 'em! But that means your clerics don't automatically heal people... sigh! You just can't win, can you, lol! Just try different scripts till you find ones that vaguely represent your style.

------------------

Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 07:33 PM   #3
vesselle
Hathor

i know that scripting is very possible for the bg games, and was under the impression that the same compiler from bg2 could be used to script for iwd. you could check out teambg.com to see about the scripting... their forums are great for that.

however, there were scripts in bg2 that i just loved, so i copied them, renamed them and stuck them in my iwd/scripts folder and have been using them with no problems. they don't display anything other than the name i gave them, so i haveta remember which does what... but that's no problem for me.

V***V

vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 09:08 AM   #4
kopema
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wow! I just looked around for BG2/IWD scripts. At this point, most of the ones I have seen are extremely complicated. I might want one of those after I have played this game for a few months, but for right now I just want something simple. Does anyone know where I can find some really basic "beginner" scripts?

Here's what I have in mind:

1) I would handle all targetting, healing, curing and spellcasting myself.

2) Melee tanks (2): Range weapon at any target over 10' away. Switch to melee and run toward anything closer, unless path is blocked, then use ranged weapon.

3) All others: Range weapons at anything outside of melee distance. Switch to melee if target enters character's melee distance.

4) Thief: Automatically search for traps when not targeted and when stealth mode is not engaged.

5) Bard: Automatically sing when not targeted, or maybe automatically sing after level 11.
kopema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 11:35 AM   #5
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

we discussed this in a previous thread.

http://www.tgeweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/No...ML/000793.html

you can find a script language compiler (write your own) as well as a document describing the language at Plant Baulder's Gate's website.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 01:28 PM   #6
vesselle
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by kopema:
4) Thief: Automatically search for traps when not targeted and when stealth mode is not engaged.
i use that one on my fighter/thief and, combined with auto-pausing when he spots the trap, its a wonderful script. (the game pauses for me, its way faster than my fingers *lol*)

it's straight from bg2. works absolutely great! i believe its "thief3.bs" but i renamed it "traps.bs" so it wouldn't overwrite the current thief3 ... ::looks embarrassed:: that way i would know which one it was, cuz my memory is kinda lame at times.

V***V
Old 06-02-2001, 03:19 PM   #7
loriluvsxs
Elite Waterdeep Guard

<>

Ok, what is the AI option? what's it do for you? I do have it turned on. And what's this about clerics automatically healing? Mine sure as heck don't! How do you get that to work? Thanx!!
Lori
loriluvsxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 11:44 PM   #8
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Click on the Character Profile then Customize then Script. Read through the scripts until you find one you like. One of them has the cleric heal you party members if they are low on hit points.

------------------
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 01:01 PM   #9
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by loriluvsxs:
<>

Ok, what is the AI option? what's it do for you? I do have it turned on. And what's this about clerics automatically healing? Mine sure as heck don't! How do you get that to work? Thanx!!
Lori
Also make sure that you cleric has lots of cure light wounds spells memorized.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 01:29 PM   #10
vesselle
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by loriluvsxs:

Lori
and about your AI, Lori?
after all those other suggestions, please please please remember to activate AI in your game window.
look in the very lower right of your game window.... okay, are you looking?
okay, see your party's heads on the right? look under them. "smile*
see those 3 icons in the very lowest right, in a little group? one's a half-moon with eyelashes (actually its a closed eye..press it to sleep *lol*)
there are 2 above it.
the one on the right with the finger, if you click it, it selects everyone in your group so you can all run like the wind when you see that huge dragon breathing down your throat, or if you want everyone to jump on that little goblin at the same time and kill him.
on the left..now that's the one we want! some say its a lantern, some say its a stick of underarm deodorant, others say even worse things... but whatever it is, what it does is this:
it turns on your group AI!! this means, any scripts you have selected for your chars, well, now they will run automatically. Great Stuff, huh????
if you dont select it, well, then, they all stand around looking dumb and the weakest fly can come by and beat them seneseless.
turn it on, keep it on and watch your playmates become head-hunting, goblin-cutting, blood-loving monster slayers. or not. maybe they will be like mine, bumbling airheads who want to get outta the stinky caves and get their nails done.

V***V