Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2002, 06:06 AM   #31
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:

Secondly as far as music that is coming out today, most of it isn't worth the cost of the CD it was produced on. Poor lyrics that you can't understand because they scream them, and bad guitar played really loud, should't even be considered music IMHO. Obviously like with most stereotypes there are exceptions, but the number of exceptions I could count with the toes of one foot.
Wow, you are way off... Why don't you just admit you rather listen to older music than to more recent music, because that's the biggest load of nonsense I've read in, well, at least a few days.
Are you judging music of any generation by the things in the Top 40 of that period only or something similar?
Don't get me wrong, that you prefer listening to older music is fine by me and I certainly don't object to that, I enjoy Joy Division and the Velvet Underground as well from time to time, but don't start insulting music nowadays by putting it on par with whatever you think classifies as it, as your generalization couldn't be further from the truth. Either you have about a thousand toes on your foot, or you simply don't show any interest in underground movements nowadays (do I even need to give any names? Motorpsycho, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Sigur Ros, Sonic Youth, Pavement and the list goes on and on...). That you couldn't care less about underground music nowadays is also fine by me, but don't make any ridiculous statements about something you (apparently, judging from your words) don't know, because you're only making a fool out of yourself by doing so.

[ 09-11-2002, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 09-11-2002, 06:15 AM   #32
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Who mentioned Pink Floyd? I FECKING HATE PINK FLOYD!!!!! Aaaargh!

Hunter - I don't know what you would think of me, most of the music I like was made before I was born! (Soul, Motown, Ska). Hey, you must be younger than I thought anyway.

Songs stuck in my head? Yep, 'Waterloo Sunset' by The Kinks. Often plays on a loop in my brain, great song. Usually if I am getting the bus to Waterloo station it makes me think of it. And if I am getting the bus to Victoria station, I get 'Victoria' by The Kinks running through my head! Oooh, another one - if I see a bloke I used to work with called Dave Watts, I get... wait for it.... 'David Watts' by The Kinks (and admirably covered by The Jam) playing on my internal juke box.

Mmmm, I do like bands other than The Kinks.

Yesterday it was 'You Can't Hurry Love' by The Supremes (NOT fecking Phil Collins who deserves to die painfully for his crap version).
Oi! Mrs NoTaste. 'Whiter shade of pale' is the greatest song ever written. A seminal point in the history of popular music written at a seminal point in my life.

Old music rocks - does anyone remember that Beethoven bloke?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 09-11-2002, 06:22 AM   #33
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Secondly as far as music that is coming out today, most of it isn't worth the cost of the CD it was produced on. Poor lyrics that you can't understand because they scream them, and bad guitar played really loud, should't even be considered music IMHO. Obviously like with most stereotypes there are exceptions, but the number of exceptions I could count with the toes of one foot.
ROTFL. This is so funny Az. This is almost word for word what my Father said to me about the Beatles when they first came out. Except he said vinyl and not CD). I guess if things don't change they stay as they are.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 09-11-2002, 06:37 AM   #34
Davros
Takhisis Follower

LOL - reminds me of the cartoon in today's paper. Ginger Meggs usually has a distinctly Aussie flavour, but today it had young Ginge holding a CD and an old LP and exclaiming to his father "Are you for real, in your day you got music on BOTH sides?".

Beeth Oven - isn't he that guy in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" - you're right Donut - some of his stuff really kicks ass .
Old 09-11-2002, 06:51 AM   #35
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Oi! Mrs NoTaste. 'Whiter shade of pale' is the greatest song ever written. A seminal point in the history of popular music written at a seminal point in my life.

Mrs NoTaste? I think not
Agree with you about Whiter Shade of Pale, brilliant song.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:20 PM   #36
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
LOL - reminds me of the cartoon in today's paper. Ginger Meggs usually has a distinctly Aussie flavour, but today it had young Ginge holding a CD and an old LP and exclaiming to his father "Are you for real, in your day you got music on BOTH sides?".

Beeth Oven - isn't he that guy in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" - you're right Donut - some of his stuff really kicks ass .
No, no, no, it's that St.Bernard in the film of the same name. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Gosh, some people. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 09-11-2002, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Talthyr Malkaviel ]
Old 09-11-2002, 06:04 PM   #37
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:

Wow, you are way off... Why don't you just admit you rather listen to older music than to more recent music, because that's the biggest load of nonsense I've read in, well, at least a few days.
Are you judging music of any generation by the things in the Top 40 of that period only or something similar?
Don't get me wrong, that you prefer listening to older music is fine by me and I certainly don't object to that, I enjoy Joy Division and the Velvet Underground as well from time to time, but don't start insulting music nowadays by putting it on par with whatever you think classifies as it, as your generalization couldn't be further from the truth. Either you have about a thousand toes on your foot, or you simply don't show any interest in underground movements nowadays (do I even need to give any names? Motorpsycho, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Sigur Ros, Sonic Youth, Pavement and the list goes on and on...). That you couldn't care less about underground music nowadays is also fine by me, but don't make any ridiculous statements about something you (apparently, judging from your words) don't know, because you're only making a fool out of yourself by doing so.
[/QUOTE]I very much enjoy listening to music of this era as well, but unfortunately there isnt much quality music of this era to be found. I have listened to all of the bands you mentioned and found them to have trite lyrics combined with completely awful sounding accompanying music, making them terrible to listen to on all accounts. Sorry if I need more out of my listening experience than these untalented bands can offer, but I guess you can call me picky. If you want to indulge yourself with their pitiful wailings, feel free to do so, but please don't try to turn on this critic to these bands, because the effort has been made before and it returned fruitless results. Now if you mentioned bands like Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals,or Pearl Jam, or other bands that actually have something meaningful to say, and can accompany it with at least decent music, I might be able to take you seriously. But until then I am afraid I'll stick with good music.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:43 AM   #38
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
I very much enjoy listening to music of this era as well, but unfortunately there isnt much quality music of this era to be found. I have listened to all of the bands you mentioned and found them to have trite lyrics combined with completely awful sounding accompanying music, making them terrible to listen to on all accounts. Sorry if I need more out of my listening experience than these untalented bands can offer, but I guess you can call me picky. If you want to indulge yourself with their pitiful wailings, feel free to do so, but please don't try to turn on this critic to these bands, because the effort has been made before and it returned fruitless results. Now if you mentioned bands like Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals,or Pearl Jam, or other bands that actually have something meaningful to say, and can accompany it with at least decent music, I might be able to take you seriously. But until then I am afraid I'll stick with good music.
...Wow. Just wow. For a moment I thought you were really trying to make a serious point, but pitiful wailings? Trite lyrics? Untalented? You're just trolling now, buddy, as this criticism of yours has nothing to do with whether they really apply to the bands in question or not. [img]graemlins/1disgust.gif[/img]
There's a difference between saying that certain music simply isn't your cup of tea and claiming they're completely untalented. I have some serious doubts you've ever listened to the bands I mentioned at all. (Godspeed You Black Emperor! makes instrumental music, but of course *you* know their lyrics are trite, even though there are no lyrics except for some sampled poems and pieces of interviews. They basically make 20 minute long avantgardistic instrumental compositions shifting between progrock, classical music and large soundscapes while using a wide range of instruments with orchestral accuracy, but of course their music shows how untalented the band really is. Sigúr Ros is singing in a special Icelandic dialect that's so layered with double meanings that accurate translations to English are almost impossible to do without losing their impact, but of course *you* know their lyrics are trite. Pavement came up with lyrical gems like "You've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life" and many people consider their lyrics to be among the least trite ever in musical history. But of course you call them trite. Pavement and Sonic Youth are some of the most influential bands in the post-Beatles era, coming up with a unique sound that inspired many, many others. Which, of course, automatically makes them untalented, just because you say so. ).

I don't care much for Led Zeppelin's music, but you don't hear me calling untalented, their lyrics trite and completely awful to listen to just because I don't like Led Zeppelin that much. I don't care much for Pearl Jam either, because *I* need more out of *my* listening experience, as their music has been cloned by so many other bands so many times that Pearl Jam's work simply lost it's appealing unique sound to me. Grunge-overkill, in a way. But I don't call them untalented...

I'm sorry Azrael, but I'm not continuing this debate any further until you realize that tastes differ and that debating without directly attacking the other's person taste with questionable arguments works a *lot* better. Music nowadays may not be your cup of tea, but your attitude now is more like you make sure your own toys are hidden somewhere safe and you go out with a sledge-hammer to destroy the favourite ones of others because you don't like their toys. Music is a lot less black and white than you're pretending it is, it's not MUSIC < 1990 = GOOD|BRILLIANT|MAGNIFICENT ^ MUSIC > 1990 = BAD|UNTALENTED|TRITE like you basically claim it is.

[ 09-12-2002, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 09-12-2002, 05:55 AM   #39
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

*throws himself into the shrapnel crossfire of Azrael Stormblade and Grojlach, taking several bullets to the chest and head as he does so. Gets up, dusts himself off and says*

Heya guys, let's just take a step back and cool off huh? I was just asking if anyone ever gets songs stuck in their head. It's cool that you guys are really into your music and take it (very) seriously, but when we end up taking musical discussion to the level of personal insult (which you've both been doing here) it just kinda brings down the whole point of music in the first place. I mean, our music tastes are there to make us feel good right? So lets just agree to disagree here, go make ourselves a drink or something, put on our favourite tunes and sink into some nice feelings of musical euphoria.

Now I am aware of just how lame that last paragraph sounds thank you very much. But still, the sentiment remains. This just isn't worth getting angry over.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-12-2002, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 09-12-2002, 06:00 AM   #40
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

Mrs NoTaste? I think not
Agree with you about Whiter Shade of Pale, brilliant song.
[/QUOTE]Thank you for agreeing with me. Aren't you going to point out thet 'Whiter Shade of Pale' was Procul Harem & not Pink Floyd?