Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2003, 05:49 PM   #31
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
We don't really have to worry about stuff like that in the US though. Since we have elections every 4 year, no one group ever has power for very long. There is always a dis-affected group as well. When Bill "got a cigar think I'll stick it here" Clinton was in power, all the Republicans were rabid dogs who couldn't wait to get rid of him. Now that Dubya is the head cheese the Democrats are foaming at the mouth. So we go back and forth. Don't like the present system wait 4 to 12 years and the other group will be in power and the country will swing the other way. To me that's the real checks and balances in our government.
Actually there arn't really any checks anymore, The democrats and the republicans are both now so compromised with big business et al, that there is no real practical difference.
For example if you look at Hillary Clinton, She made the accusation of there being a vast right wing conspiracy.
Now, have you noticed how she was reluctant to name names or give much detail at all?
Why would she do this?
Because Of course the democrats had compromised themselves with the very same right wing forces, which sought to dethrone bill.
(Examine how Bush’s current policies are literally a simple extension and continuation in many areas of Clintons)
So in that way, The Clinton thing was an internal conflict between the ruling classes.

And there is no real choice in the end.
(which explains the falling levels of voter participation in America and all over the western world)

Old 06-11-2003, 01:44 AM   #32
spydar

I luv how the states is basically a 2-party (and depending who you talk to 1-party) system

and I don't recall ever saying a pledge to the queen we I was going to school (up here in alberta) but I do remember a time when we had to sing O Canada. then they stopped just before I got into junior high and then started up again in grade 12, but it ticked me off then xause I'd always be rushing to class and they'd play it and the vice-principal would make me stand in the hall until it's over, thus making me 2 seconds late for class where my physics teacher would promptly lock me out. trying to teach me a lesson, well I didn't learn a thing! [img]smile.gif[/img]

PS: YAY Netherlands!!! I'm proud to be a dutch canadian and do hope to get my citizenship (my dad was born in the Hague)
Old 06-11-2003, 01:45 AM   #33
spydar

wow I can't seem to type huh?
Old 06-11-2003, 02:04 AM   #34
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
I luv how the states is basically a 2-party (and depending who you talk to 1-party) system

and I don't recall ever saying a pledge to the queen we I was going to school (up here in alberta) but I do remember a time when we had to sing O Canada. then they stopped just before I got into junior high and then started up again in grade 12, but it ticked me off then xause I'd always be rushing to class and they'd play it and the vice-principal would make me stand in the hall until it's over, thus making me 2 seconds late for class where my physics teacher would promptly lock me out. trying to teach me a lesson, well I didn't learn a thing! [img]smile.gif[/img]

PS: YAY Netherlands!!! I'm proud to be a dutch canadian and do hope to get my citizenship (my dad was born in the Hague)
I remember one time in grade 7 a bunch of kids, myself included, didn't want to sing O Canada along with the rest of the kids in my school during an assembly. The principal made the lot of us stand with our noses up against the gymnasium wall for the duration of said assembly.

edit> and one time.. in band camp..

[ 06-11-2003, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]
Old 06-11-2003, 02:06 AM   #35
spydar

how cheesy is this, we used to have to sing the school song at every asembly until I was 10. it was some messed up version of "this is our world afterall". gawd, they couldn't have picked a more annoying song??? there were had movements and everything.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:30 AM   #36
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I never song my national song, and never saw anyone else sing it, but I saw part of it on tv and it look like an interesting song. I'll have to look at it one day.

What do I think about the American pledge? It's brainwashing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
No one is forced to do it, it is voluntary, completely voluntary, and the people who don't do it are not stoned or even spit upon by normal Americans.
So, those that don't do it are not normal americans? So this mean you don't have to d it, but if you don't, you're not a real american?
Old 06-11-2003, 05:46 AM   #37
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Bardan the Slayer:
We tend to steer clear of institutionalised brainwashing in the UK
Aha! One of my colleagues at work said "It's a shame that we're british. In Ireland, Scotland and Wales you can be proud to be Irish, Scottish or Welsh. But here in England if you're proud to be English then you're seen as a bit of an idiot."

I agree with her. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2003, 06:13 AM   #38
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

If american people accept it, go ahead. [img]smile.gif[/img] Personally, I oppose nationalism because I´m a hippie who would like "the world to live as one"... but there are certain moments in every country´s history that you have to appreciate. For us finns, it´s the WW2 and how thousands of men were killed while defending our country from Russians. Without them, we´d míght belong to Russia now.

I don´t claim to know the most deepest reasons for US people to cheer the flag so much.. as far as I know, nothing has never REALLY threatened the existance of the USA. Therefore I suspect the reasons are simply psychological.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:23 AM   #39
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

I agree with you NiceWorg. I wish the world would live as one country, and that's what the EU is trying to do I think. By introducing a continent-wide currency they're trying to merge us into one country I believe. Eventually Europe will be a country and not a continent, with one government and one set of laws.....

Then eventually Europe will merge with other countries, until we are one world. With the continent-wide currency I can see it happening......
Old 06-11-2003, 06:47 AM   #40
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
I never song my national song, and never saw anyone else sing it, but I saw part of it on tv and it look like an interesting song. I'll have to look at it one day.

What do I think about the American pledge? It's brainwashing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
No one is forced to do it, it is voluntary, completely voluntary, and the people who don't do it are not stoned or even spit upon by normal Americans.
So, those that don't do it are not normal americans? So this mean you don't have to d it, but if you don't, you're not a real american? [/QUOTE]Touche Luvian! Bwahahaha! Let's see if Ronn can squirm himself ou tof this one. [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]

As for singing the national anthem I see no problem with not take part in the singing. I usally do out of tradition. I also think one always should stand up when a national anthem is played, be it the American or the Iraqi. That's just proper respect.