Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2001, 05:04 PM   #11
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Well, I am 16, and my brother is 12.I know all about young kids,cos I am mates with everyone in my skool.I still dont think that they would really understand.And if they did,they was mature enough to realise it was a joke.

well the kids here must be of an entirely different brand of your area, cuz when my friends were like 8 or so they knew about pretty much all the stuff LS was posting. im not saying that it wasnt wrong, just informing that kids in different areas of the country have different tastes and knowledge about things.

------------------
I'll kidnap ya fer 100, reprogram ya fer 300, and kill ya fer 500! Oh come one! I'll throw in the killin' fer 250!
Old 06-13-2001, 05:13 PM   #12
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
That would have to be a pretty stupid kid to admit he learned it from one of his favorite sites! I would have said "from school" and let it drop. What's Mommy going to do, ban the kid from school?

on some days, i wish my mommy would have... *sucks on his thumb for comfort*

------------------
I'll kidnap ya fer 100, reprogram ya fer 300, and kill ya fer 500! Oh come one! I'll throw in the killin' fer 250!
Old 06-13-2001, 05:21 PM   #13
dafan

Quote:
That would have to be a pretty stupid kid to admit he learned it from one of his favorite sites! I would have said "from school" and let it drop. What's Mommy going to do, ban the kid from school?

------------------
I'm a protector of good
a seeker of truth
a symbol of light
a man of honor

Old 06-13-2001, 05:46 PM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
I was a poster on the Fluffy Hunters thread. Imho, it was one of the best threads I have participated in on my time here. A lot of people put a lot of thought and creativity into their posting, Tonight I logged on to see what further fun and frolics (if any) had taken place. It had been closed by Ziroc.

Now, this disturbed and saddened me.

I understand fully that to join in on this forum, there are rules that must be observed. I also respect Ziroc’s right to apply these rules as he interprets them. I also know that if I don’t like the way this forum is run/moderated, then the solution is simple – I go elsewhere.

Yes, there were some posts near the end of the thread that were in questionable taste, (though I would classify them as absurd rather than anything more sinister ), and if Ziroc decided to close the thread so be it. I would rather he had deleted the offending posts (if that had been possible) That’s the sad bit.

The disturbing aspect are the comments “Have I not said kids under 14 read this forum?” and “ I'm closing this.. it's spam.” .

Firstly, I did not consider the posts spam. As I said above a lot of people took time, effort and creativity in their posts.

Secondly, and bearing in mind my earlier comments, does that now mean that we all have to self-censor our posts to try to make them acceptable to some undefined age range? If that’s the case, as a 42 year old, I don’t think I’m up to the task. And anyway would such a policy only lead to this forum becoming utterly anodyne and sterile?.

Finally, I am posting this not to provoke a great “was Ziroc right or wrong” debate, but out of a genuine sense of unease. If this topic has been fully discussed elsewhere, let me know. If this gets any of you guys heated up and starts unpleasantness between members, I will delete it.

Ok, I only posted a few times on that Fluffy Hunting thread, but I do think that there was some creativity and thought involved in most of the posts.

On the other hand, I'll say this: the last time I went in to post which was fairly near the end of the thread, I was confused as to what was happening and went back to read a bit to catch up. Here's where I have to say that I found some posts to be in very poor taste and the theme appeared to have caught on at the end. I note this only by way of saying that even 40 yr olds can be put off by some things. Personally, I didn't care for the turn the thread had taken and I would have avoided that line of dialog. I didn't consider the thread might be closed, but I do remember wondering if it would pass Z's code of conduct or draw fire from others as I read through the last few pages.

As to Ziroc's decision to close the thread, no, if it were up to me, I might not have done it that way. But it's not up to me. Ziroc chose to close it and it IS his forum. We all need to remember that. Sometimes I think we forget it because Z gives us so much leeway and does his best to moderate from a distance, not micromanage the whole place.

Ultimately, though, he makes the decisions based on his own opinions and standards of behavior. There are a lot of people on this forum and they all have their own individual tolerance levels, their own sense of what's appropriate and inappropriate. What I might laugh at, someone else may be offended by. I do know this, I have never heard of a case where one or even two complaints to Z got a thread shut down. So maybe, just maybe he was getting enough complaints that he felt this one warranted locking down?

In this instance something good just got carried away and got spoiled. That happens sometimes. Maybe that's the lesson to be learned. Not that we need to sanitize every word we type, but more that we should think twice before finally hitting the submit button. It's easy to get carried away in a moment of posting to a fun thread.

Having said all the above, I want to add that I am saddened by this for one reason. I don't want to see people (ESPECIALLY YOU, LORD SHIELD) turn away from 'fun posting' because they fear being closed down or censured for their posting. I'd like to think that we can all move on and just remember that 'think twice' rule of thumb. FWIW, I too found the Fluffy Hunting thread to be a lot of fun up til the end.

Cloudbringer, rambling- hey I'm on 4 hrs sleep again, so please pretend I make sense

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 06-13-2001).]
Old 06-13-2001, 05:48 PM   #15
Lord Shield

Sorry, guys. I didn't know there were complaints about my posts. I tried to keep them mostly obscure anyway. If I'd had it mentioned, I would have edited them all myself.
The war was nearly over anyway, and it was fun while it lasted. Until the next time

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html

Old 06-13-2001, 06:03 PM   #16
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
well the kids here must be of an entirely different brand of your area, cuz when my friends were like 8 or so they knew about pretty much all the stuff LS was posting. im not saying that it wasnt wrong, just informing that kids in different areas of the country have different tastes and knowledge about things.

You must be right,cos at the age of 8 i didnt know about VASELINE.

------------------
Old 06-13-2001, 06:09 PM   #17
Melusine
Dracolisk

Whoa!!
I have been offline for sometime and hadn't even seen the last of the Fluffy war, so I had no idea what was going on. I will go back and read it now...

I am glad to see that the problem seems to be solved, I hope that you don't consider the entire topic to be spam, Dan, because in that case I am sorry for I had some part in it's starting. (After all, it is MY hamster that started all this ) However, seeing that the topic was no worse in triviality than a lot of the other posts on GD I don't think that that was the problem. I am sorry that the thread degenerated, but the War couldn't have lasted for much longer anyway before it would have become boring...

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-13-2001, 06:55 PM   #18
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Um..... What happened? I opened this topic to see what the "Fluffy Hunters" thread was and I start hearing this huge discussion about inapproriate language in a thread. Now did I get this right? Someone (Lord Shield?) posted some sexually explicit comments (something about "vaseline?") and the thread got closed?

Slightly confused (???)
-Jafin

------------------

I may look like an old man now, but just you wait until I take off my fake beard and wig and show you Tiltowait!
Old 06-13-2001, 07:14 PM   #19
Lord Shield

Yep. Mouse summoned the Uber-Fluffy
I enchanted it with Manga powers and gave it the aforementioned ointment to use
Think "Legend of the Overfiend"
If this post is explicit, then withdraw the question for I have answered it as obscurely as possible
Funny, I remember Moni and Fjotsdale mentioning how we're all treading carefully with this in case somebody gets offended. People deny it, but this whole situation proves they were right

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html

Old 06-13-2001, 08:34 PM   #20
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:

too true that's were I learned all the material.... from other students, used textbooks, bathroom walls,.... and, beleive it or not, from the teachers ....

goo goo

------------------