Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2002, 08:58 PM   #11
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade:
lol not mcse, but i'm working on my ccna i'm at the end of the cirriculum and will probably take the cirtification test sometime this summer.
Cool Blade! I just started my CCNA two weeks ago, its pretty good. [img]smile.gif[/img]
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 05-18-2002, 01:44 AM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aviendha:
No Sazerac, I'm an MCSE as well! I was checking to see if there were any others connected to the IW forum. You never can have too many contacts! I'm the LAN Administrator for Estee Lauder Pty Ltd here in Australia. I have only just recently got my MCSE completed, but I'm still doing more subjects. I'm doing SMS at the moment.

Anyway, it's nice to know that are one also! Can I ask a question to you, if I'm ever in desperate need? (Oh Please [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img] )

Aviendha.
Absolutely, Aviendha! I may want to run a question by you as well...it's great to have a network of support. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-18-2002, 01:46 AM   #13
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeDawg:
Same here...

NT & Win2K certified. Novell certified.

In Austin, though, EVERYONE is certified. I left the industry a few years back anyway... [img]graemlins/whome.gif[/img]
Hm! Not surprised...everyone in the Metroplex is nigh well convinced that everyone in Austin is certifiable. (j/k)

(let me get out of here while the getting is good...)

-Sazeraniac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-18-2002, 07:09 PM   #14
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Scholarcs good luck, i wish i was back in the first semester, learning about the different encapulation types intamatly is not my idea of any fun [img]graemlins/oth30.gif[/img] talk about head spinning, at least learning to program routers and switches was fun.

[ 05-18-2002, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Blade ]
Old 05-18-2002, 10:12 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I'm certified. Not that it's good for anything anymore out here.
Hey Milamber, why do you say that? I'm curious if it's because of the market or something I'd heard recently.

I'd read that and saw a newsclip recently. Something about so many bogus schools around the world churning out people that supposedly pass the tests but were coached and had the answers in advance? Seems counterproductive to throw someone into REAL LIFE situations who hasn't got the actual training, just memorization!

Cloudy
Old 05-19-2002, 12:51 AM   #16
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Scholarcs good luck, i wish i was back in the first semester, learning about the different encapulation types intamatly is not my idea of any fun [img]graemlins/oth30.gif[/img] talk about head spinning, at least learning to program routers and switches was fun.
Thanks man, i just hope I can get through it ok. [img]smile.gif[/img]
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 05-19-2002, 12:15 PM   #17
Blade
Emerald Dragon

As long as you try you should be ok, watch out for that layered topology test in semester one though its a killer. The rest of semester one isn't that bad. Semesters two and theree are ok, lots of comands and it gets into theory there. Finally semester four is all theory so it isn't much fun. As for semesters five through tweleve i'm not going to go into those.
Old 05-19-2002, 04:04 PM   #18
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I'm certified. Not that it's good for anything anymore out here.
Hey Milamber, why do you say that? I'm curious if it's because of the market or something I'd heard recently.

I'd read that and saw a newsclip recently. Something about so many bogus schools around the world churning out people that supposedly pass the tests but were coached and had the answers in advance? Seems counterproductive to throw someone into REAL LIFE situations who hasn't got the actual training, just memorization!

Cloudy
[/QUOTE]No, nothing to do with bogus schools (although they certainly are out there). I meant that the IT market out here is pretty saturated. Unless you have some kind of other skill, your MCSE's really won't get you anywhere. At my company you must at least have your A+, CISCO, and MCSE certifications otherwise you don't have a chance. What counts more than anything though is experience. I'd take someone with 10 years experience over some kid just out of the local trade school with a pocket full of certifications any day.

5 years ago, you could go to a trade school, come out with your MCSE's and get a decent job making 55-60K per year. Now, if that's all you have, you're lucky to get a job in the industry.

It's certainly not a bad thing to have, but don't expect it to write you a ticket anywhere. I'm sure that this isn't the case everywhere, but in SoCal, that's pretty much how it is.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 05-19-2002, 04:28 PM   #19
lroyo

Milamber,

It's pretty much the same here in Australia. I feel very fortunate to have gotten into the IT market before it went down.
I have friends who have topped courses, got 99.75% in their HSC. One even got 100% in three of his MCSE subjects, and they can't even get an interview, let alone a job.

Aviendha.

Old 05-19-2002, 05:01 PM   #20
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
As long as you try you should be ok, watch out for that layered topology test in semester one though its a killer. The rest of semester one isn't that bad. Semesters two and theree are ok, lots of comands and it gets into theory there. Finally semester four is all theory so it isn't much fun. As for semesters five through tweleve i'm not going to go into those.
Cheers bro, I'm just about to go off and do the test on the OSI model...yuck!