Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2002, 01:48 PM   #1
Lavindathar
Harper

Just somethin that happened to my Mum today...she was going to Tesco (local supermarket) to buy me a DVD (American Pie 1&2 Box Set).

The clerk only charged her for one...

Would you own up to the clerk and say that she was wrong?

My mum didnt own up as it was my money, but she said if it was hers she'd own up.

If it was me, I wouldn't think about owning up...whats the point?It's a company that makes millions a day, so what is £15 to them? Nothing.

To me? It's £15.

Old 03-26-2002, 01:58 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hmm..let's see.. the point... Honesty, integrity and stealing. The company that makes the dvd has to make account for it's stock and that is one less they get their money for and the store as well, has lost money. The clerks need paychecks as do the guys and gals who actually run the machinery that makes the discs. Who am I to decide what they do or do not deserve? They make the product and sell it, I bought it under the system, knowing the big company makes a profit. If I didn't want them to make their money, why would I buy from them?

I'd tell the clerk. I feel if you can't depend on a person's honesty in that situation what else might he/she do? Where are lines drawn? Cheating friends? Taxes? Will this person be the pharmacist who gives medicare patients fewer pills than the doctor prescribes and sells the rest to them later for full price? Will this be the doctor who is more interested in money than my health? Or maybe it just ends up being the clerk who shortchanges your mum next time she buys milk or bread?

Anyway, I have been known to go back into the store to give a clerk a few cents change if they overpaid me. So yes, I'd definitely tell them they undercharged me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-26-2002, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 03-26-2002, 02:16 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Ahem, considering the number of times our local super market charged me too much, I would consider it part of the money they still owe us.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:21 PM   #4
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I'd probably say it, unless of course it was so small an amount that it was insignificant, then I wouldn't want to bother them with it.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:19 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

I would suggest telling the clerk "you undercharged me" for 2 reasons: 1) it is the right thing to do and 2) if you are not charged for an item at the register and you walk out of the store, the company would be within their legal rights to have you prosecuted for shoplifting.
If I realize that I have been undercharged upon arriving back home, no, I do not drive back to the store to makes things right. Rationalization? Yes. Reasonable? Yes.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:40 PM   #6
Lavindathar
Harper

Are you sure you are being honest?

Are you sure you aren't just saying this to make people think you are a "nice" person (cloudy excluded!!! )

I mean, £15 is enough for another DVD...and as long as the clerk wouldn't get in trouble, which she wouldn't, as no-one would know...

Secondly, you HAVE paid for your goods. You trust the clerk to not make errors, therefore, if you left the store, it isn't stealing, as the error is not your fault.

Well, I am being honest, even if people think I am wrong for doing it...I'd not tell her, and buy another DVD...call it selfish if you will, but I do gain! Which is nice!
Old 03-26-2002, 04:48 PM   #7
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

own up?? what are you insane?
why would I own up when buying a DVD that they get for probably about 5 bucks and then they charge me 4 times that? theyre making money either way. Some faceless makes 10 bucks off of me instead of 25-30 big deal. They'll live. Youde have to be nuts to think otherwise. The clerks will get paid either way so that is completely irrelevant as far as it being 'the right thing to do' The right thing to do isn't to overcharge your consumers in the first place. I know I have been ripped off by faceless corporations more times than I can count to. strike a blow back for the consumers, and take them for everything you can.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:58 PM   #8
Chewbacca
Zartan

As a store manager of an entertainment store that sells dvds, amongst other shiny disks, I can only say owe up. The losses retailers take from mistakes like the one you have encountered, not to mention shoplifting, will only be made up by charging higher prices in the future.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:02 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
own up?? what are you insane?
why would I own up when buying a DVD that they get for probably about 5 bucks and then they charge me 4 times that? theyre making money either way. Some faceless makes 10 bucks off of me instead of 25-30 big deal. They'll live. Youde have to be nuts to think otherwise. The clerks will get paid either way so that is completely irrelevant as far as it being 'the right thing to do' The right thing to do isn't to overcharge your consumers in the first place. I know I have been ripped off by faceless corporations more times than I can count to. strike a blow back for the consumers, and take them for everything you can.
The average mark up on a dvd is around 15%, though after you account for shrink (theft) and labour cost, the actual profit is around 0-5% The more you "rip-off" that "faceless" corporation the more you'll pay in the long run.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:08 PM   #10
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
As a store manager of an entertainment store that sells dvds, amongst other shiny disks, I can only say owe up. The losses retailers take from mistakes like the one you have encountered, not to mention shoplifting, will only be made up by charging higher prices in the future.
I totally agree!

I could easily lead on to an argument about pirating and why it is sooooo wrong but all I'm going to say is that for every item you get for free today, you'll be paying three times as much tomorrow.

I also live by the philosophy of "what goes around, comes around" [img]smile.gif[/img]