Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
darnapkin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Its been 4 years, and about 30 parties, until I found one i really liked to go all the way through the game, heh, i'm picky

my party

a sam, lord, monk, and an alc.

Out of all the spell books, the alc is my favorite as far as dmg. I like the priests spell book for buffing and healing.

Out of the 4. My monk armed with SOD had the most kills,, around 500,, everyone else was around 300

So now I want to have a party of 2, and this is were I need some advice

My mind is made up on taking a ranger, i might go with mook for race.

The other, i'm not sure, i guess its between a bard and a gadget.

So, which would help out a ranger more,, a bard, or a gadget?

I have never played either of the 2, so info would be nice [img]smile.gif[/img]
thanks
darnapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Congratulations!

I prefer Bards for a number of reasons. Primarily Magic Screen. Also, Instruments are all in one piece; Gadgets often have two parts rather far from each other.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
darnapkin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hummmm,, i'm still not sure what to do,, trying to kill time until elder scrolls 4 [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Hey, good going! I recommend the bard because of the healing, bless and magic screen as well. You may have some difficulty in healing and some other things with just ranger alchemy spells. Potions, anyone? But you will definately kick if you can survive the earlier stages. Since you have tried 30 parties, I think your survival skills may be up to the task.

Addendum: I did a solo faerie ninja once, with a class change to bishop and back. Did a few 2-parties but always with a healer. You may want to consider at least one class change to pick up healing. Perhaps ranger -> priest -> ranger?

[ 02-11-2006, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Ziggurat ]
Old 02-12-2006, 03:07 AM   #5
darnapkin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

if i do go with a bard, can i use that trienny gadgeteer to make the triple shot crossbow?

also, in a 2 man party,, just how important is stamina? how high should pie be?

i know to get the ranger up to eagle eye asap, but what other stats do i really need to work on.

never done a 2 man party, just trying to plan on what to expect.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #6
Marathon
Elminster

If you're going to go with the tripleshot crossbow, you'll need plenty of stamina. Maybe go with an all female cast and give each a necklace of endurance.

I would imagine Madras can make the crossbow for you, but I can't really say as I avoid gadgeteers like the plague. I can't stand lugging around all the components. A bard will make things much easier for you, especially in the beginning.

I'd say to go with Dex and Senses for your Ranger, then Vit and Speed. Strength can help if you want the Strong Bow from Bela. Piety might not be something to focus on in the beginning.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #7
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Yes, both ranger and bard should be female if you want to lessen the stamina burden, which is worst at the beginning. I've heard Madras can make a triple shot if he goes up a few levels (Engineering = 75). He can make a double shot almost right away (Eng = 35). I got this from Flamestryke; she has one of the most complete Wiz 8 sites:

http://www.flamestryke.com/wizardry8...trykes_w8.html

A bard can also get the Horn of Insanity (whatever) at the graveyard pretty early on. I take piety up to at least 60 for these guys, it does help. A mook ranger can use the Giant Sword, it's worth it, but it eats stamina too. If I can get the game working again, I may try your combo. Sounds like fun.

Edit: added the Flamestryke eng info

[ 02-12-2006, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Ziggurat ]
Old 02-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
darnapkin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

for the ranger i'm going for dex and sens first off.. however, i know very little about bards and how to build a good bard, i'm not sure on what stats to build up on the bard..

any info on that?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

I build bards almost like a tank in the primary stats. They are better melee fighters than a ranger, IMO. Although some dex and piety is good, I go for speed and strength even more. Give some to music skill at first. After lev 30 or so (it depends on your style of playing) you can ignore it and let it go up by itself. You will need some de-arm traps, too. This limits you a bit but that is normal for a small party. I'm sure others can add to or subtract from this advice.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:00 AM   #10
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

You can practise your L&T and Music skill instead of using level points. Though the music practise isn't really intense until you get to the instrument in Arnika.

I never bother with Pie for Rangers and Bards. Vit is much more satisfying. Dex3/Sen2/Vit1 for Ranger; Dex3/Spd2/Vit1 for a Bard (starting with as much Dex as you get, Str/Vit @ 50 and as much Spd as is left (Hobbit works the best). These are because i like to max Dex; not only do you hit more often--you get more AC once it's maxxed. Eagle Eye is nice, but not indispensible; if your Ranger is using Giant's Sword and Strong Bow, Strength will be nice, too.
Nobody's Spd really has to be over 65: Collect all the Super and Double potions you can, and use the drum--the Spd stacks.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote