Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 06:25 PM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

This is the miniscule note under breaking news right now in the local paper:

ALBANY -- A Dutch cargo ship tipped over at a 45-degree angle in the frigid Hudson River while being loaded with steel turbines Tuesday, apparently trapping three crew members. Fifteen others were rescued.

---
I was called as a possible interpreter as it seems that 12 of the 18 crewmembers are Russian and they had a language problem. My ship and seagoing/cargo vocabulary is pretty small so I defered to a few native speakers I have worked with and luckily we had someone at the university who could speak Russian AND studies oceanography, but this is a major accident.

Fifteen crew have been rescued and 8 are hospitalized ranging from minor problems to critical (hypothermia's a serious problem, the river is full of ice right now).

Scary thing is they don't know the layout of the ship, no plans are available and 3 crew are thought to be inside, so they may have been crushed when the caro shifted. The ship was taking huge (several thousand pounds each) turbines from Albany to Italy. Now it's dark, making rescue efforts even harder.

Apparently the stevedores at the Port of Albany were trying to tell these people to stop what they were doing while loading the cargo, but either they weren't understood or were ignored. Then the ship capsized.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:59 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Doesn't sound very hopeful but I hope they are able to rescue any possible people left on the ship.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 12-09-2003, 07:44 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Me too! It's bad now. Cold, tide going down and more water on the ship. The mayor pulled his teams off the ship because it's too dangerous to be on just now.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:25 PM   #4
Seraph
Quintesson

Well, I guess Mayor Jennings is bright enough to realize that getting extra people killed isn't going to do anyone any good.

The Times Union has a more robust article about the accident.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:03 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

As of this morning, the rescue teams are going back, but they aren't very hopeful and figure they may be a 'recovery' team as opposed to rescue.