Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2002, 05:16 AM   #1
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

I got a Paladin as my main character.

From time to time I got a message in my text window about my aura is cleansed.
What does that mean? Has it some effect on the game play or is it just some sort of 'spice' to the 'world of a paladin'?

I mostly see it when I have completed a sub quest.

Another question:

The same Paladin as mentioned above has a CHA of 21 (18+book+cloak).
My party got a reputation of 20 (Oh yes - we are a bunch of heroes).
I got Edwin in the same party and although he is NOT very happy, he is still there. I thought he would leave when the reputation got too high, but he did not. Is it due to my high CHA or is it because Dynaheir was in my party, when Edwin entered (I afterwards placed Dynaheir in one of the gaming tents to make her watch over that no one were cheating at the gaming tables [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Right now I got used to Edwins mocking (and great power). I might even change his name to Raistlin [img]smile.gif[/img] . Will he take his leave in the future or will he stick to the party?

BTW this is 1st time I play BG and I am still in chapter 3, doing all quests.

Insane
Old 11-22-2002, 05:57 AM   #2
Grungi
Banned User

eh? you got dynaheir and edwin in the same party? without them killin each other, not sure that should be possible
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 06:02 AM   #3
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:
eh? you got dynaheir and edwin in the same party? without them killin each other, not sure that should be possible
I had them both in my party, but only for a short time. As I wrote, I placed Dynaheir in one of the gaming tents. There after I reformed my party (ie. removed Dynaheir from the party).

Insane
Old 11-22-2002, 08:47 AM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

Edwin will probably stick with you a while yet, but eventually he will leave. On my first time through all my evil characters decided to walk out on me halfway through the second to last chapter (because my reputation was 20 too, and I had no idea whether or not they'd actually go myself at that time, and so didn't really look at the alignment of those I had in my party).
Needless to say, having two or three characters leave suddenly leaves you in kind of a tight spot. I recall using potions of invisibility to sneak past my enemies on more than one occasion until I had another decent party ready (playing with anything less than a full 6-men-and-women crew was not an option for me back then).

So he'll leave, but it's probably better to either lower your reputation or kick him out before he quits, at an appropriate time.

EDIT: as for the aura cleansed, I know the message appears when you agree to steal a certain item in Baldur's Gate too, after you've given off the merchandise. As far as I know it just means the guards stop attacking you, although it appears at times when that wouldn't be the desired effect as well.

[ 11-22-2002, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:19 AM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

for any spellcaster getting an "aura cleansed" message is basically an improved alacrity (from bg2) it allows you to cast spells without the timelimit between them, as you are only in chapter 3 with a paladin this shouldn't really be an issue, just a neat effect, like getting struck by lightning

(I actually have a quicksave with a lightning bolt slamming into me from the heavens)
Old 11-22-2002, 12:35 PM   #6
xanderwatts
The Magister

Using shadow keeper on BG2 it is possible to give yourself a spell called (I think) Dear'Ragh's Aura Cleansing...
Old 11-22-2002, 05:17 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Aura Cleansed: I've seen this message a few times too, but only in BG1, and only in dialogue situations like the ones described. It might be a fragment of some feature that was only half-implemented and not completely removed; for instance, the theory proposed by Legolas sounds good (when you do something bad, like robbing the Hall of Wonders, the Flaming Fist will hunt you until you pass off the merchandise and get your aura cleansed), but it is not actually in the game. However, it might have been part of the game in an earlier phase of development. For example, if you take Ragefast's Nymph to Ramazith, she warns you that it would be wise to avoid the Fist, as they would not look kindly on anyone dragging a Nymph through the city. This idea is the most plausible explanation of "Aura Cleansed" that I have yet heard.
Daer'Ragh's Aura Cleansing was not implemented, in any of the games. Even if you meet Daer'Ragh, he doesn't cast any spells. The break between spellcasting, however, WAS implemented: Get ToB and your Wizards will start drooling over Improved Alacrity.
If you're confused by Morgeurat's talking about lightning, just ignore it. That's something completely different from Aura Cleansing.

Edwin: You actually CAN have violently opposed people in your party, even all the way to the end, *IF* your Charisma is really high (as InsaneBane's is) and you don't piss either of them off by keeping a Reputation violently in opposition to their Alignment. So, yeah, Edwin will work for you.....for a while.

By the way, xanderwatts, actually giving yourself the spells listed in Gatekeeper (the ones you can't actually find in the game) may be neat, but if you play with fire, don't be surprised if you get burned.