Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2001, 03:44 PM   #1
Lucre
Elminster

Hey i know some of you play the tabletop version of this but which is it? is it the one made by Wizards? Yuou know the one with set characters? or is it a different one, if so what! Thanks for any help.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:51 PM   #2
Dresdan
Zhentarim Guard

Not exactly sure what your question was trying to get at ,but there are three versions of D&D. The original, AD&D 2e, and the newest one is core D&D 3e. I play AD&D 2e quite often, as a matter of fact we had a game here last night that went until a little after 5am. If you could be a little more specific about what you want to know maybe I could answer some of your questions.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:01 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I think most D&D fans prefer pen and paper D&D where you create your own characters and adventure through imagination and dice rolling. I've seen some board D&D games, and they can be fun, but not nearly as indepth.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:18 PM   #4
Lucre
Elminster

Thanks, but you would need some kind of guide right? like monster specs(goblins etc.). I just wanna know everything about it cos i dont know anything. (I saw an advert for the Wizards Of The Coast game in a mag and wanted to know more)
Old 12-02-2001, 04:51 PM   #5
Dresdan
Zhentarim Guard

Alot of gaming companies produce ready made campaigns that you can buy that will have, maps, monsters, traps, plots, and everything else in them that normaly a DM(Dungeon Master, the one that controls the game) would have to create on his own. If you are interested in getting started in D&D the best book to buy would be the D&D Players Hand Book. It gives a good overview on pretty much everything you'll need to know in order to get in a game. Then as you progress there are alot more books that you can get to help expand your knowledge. But definatly start with the PHB, and look for a game in your area to join. The best way to really get knowledgeable about D&D is to get into a game that has a good DM. Hope this helps you out some.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:57 PM   #6
Lucre
Elminster

And i would get the Players Handbook in which type of shops?
Old 12-02-2001, 05:05 PM   #7
Dresdan
Zhentarim Guard

It's probably best to look in hobby stores or a gaming/fantasy store. There is a store near me called the Red Dragon that deals in every thing fantasy, and RPG related. Check your local book shop if they don't have it maybe they could order it for you. You could also check online, and order it.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:20 PM   #8
Tobbin
Red Dragon

You can find these books in many places. Waldenbooks, Barnes & Nobles, Books-A-Million. Comic shops are starting to carry them. Hobby shops do too. The Hobbit is one example. Someone mentioned online and you can order directly from Wizards of the Coast. Amazon.com has it available. You can also get it from e-Bay or other auctions too. Try to keep an eye on the price if you go that route though because you will normally pay shipping and handling and if you win by a high amount, could be more than you would pay retail. You can find modules at a lot of these places too. Definitely get the handbook first so that way you can figure what type of character you would like. You can get modules based on that and other add-ons like the thief's handbook or dwarves handbook. You will understand that a little more once you have the Player's Handbook. Take it one step at a time and you will have more fun.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:03 PM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Lucre,

Glad to see your interest in the Pen & Paper version of AD&D. Baldur's Gate will give a good idea of how things work - but you can be SOOOOO much more creative in PnP. Basically, if you can think up something...your character can try it. The Dungeon Master (DM) will determine your likelihood of success and roll a dice to determine what happens. I had some hilarious gaming moments doing stuff like this.

One extra piece of advice I can add is this: If you find a good hobby or book store that carries lots of RPG material...this will also be a good place to search for a group to game with. Any store like that will have regular customers who are full-time gamers. A lot of them even have bulletin or message boards where you can post a note to try to find a group.

I am a strict First Edition gamer myself (aka Old Timer). I tried 2nd Edition but never really liked it. Now, I'm married with kids and my gaming group has spread to the proverbial four winds (well, OK, most of us are still in NC, but we are literally spread from one end of the state to the other), so I have no reason to buy 3rd Edition, since I have nobody to game with.
Thus, Baldur's Gate makes a perfect substitute to satisfy my gaming desire.

Lots of luck. I hope you find a good group to game with. PnP will ALWAYS be more entertaining and enjoyable than the RPG version.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:05 AM   #10
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Actually I've seen a DnD table-top battle game with miniatures. Something like Warhammer.