Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2001, 05:05 PM   #11
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
Not necessarily an .exe. It could be a batch file, an office document with macros... All sorts of stuff. It would have to be an attachment that you open though.
The LAN support guy from our Helpdesk said that he has heard of one incident that the virus was not included in the attachment, but came in more directly. A very difficult one to produce, I assume...

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Third member of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Faith beset in The Rocks
(they show the way, you know...)
Old 08-31-2001, 05:13 PM   #12
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I'm pretty sure it'd have to be an attachment. I can't see how any other way would work. No matter what, every/any program/file has to be opened to run. I suppose I could be wrong, but I've never heard of an email transferrable virus that you didn't actually have to open to make active.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 08-31-2001, 05:17 PM   #13
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I'm pretty sure it'd have to be an attachment. I can't see how any other way would work. No matter what, every/any program/file has to be opened to run. I suppose I could be wrong, but I've never heard of an email transferrable virus that you didn't actually have to open to make active.

That is what I thought, but he swears to me that this one did not have to be opened to enter your system, and he gets paid to watch for stuff like viruses. I asked his supervisor just now about it, and he told me that if Thomas says so, then it is so...
That is a scary thought, eh?

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Third member of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Faith beset in The Rocks
(they show the way, you know...)