Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2003, 12:22 PM   #31
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
Sorry but cricket is a little too goofy for me. Ill take good old fashioned baseball any day, just for the pure history of the game. In cricket there is no Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, or Yogi Berra. 'm sure there are famous players of personality, but nothing like what we have in baseball. Cricket, is a popular sport, and though I am not a fan of it I can earnestly respect it, but give me a baseball game any day.
Mmmm. Cricket has a bit of a history attached to it as well. The first cricket clubs were formed in the 1700's. The first ever international sporting event was a cricket match, USA v Canada in the 1840's. There are over 600 cricket clubs in the US with over 10,000 active players.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-29-2003, 01:07 PM   #32
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Sorry but cricket is a little too goofy for me. Ill take good old fashioned baseball any day, just for the pure history of the game. In cricket there is no Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, or Yogi Berra. 'm sure there are famous players of personality, but nothing like what we have in baseball. Cricket, is a popular sport, and though I am not a fan of it I can earnestly respect it, but give me a baseball game any day.
You may be suprised to hear this, but cricket does have have it's legends in people like Grace, Bradman, Botham, and many others,and I think you'll find that the 'pure history' of the game as you mention it is probabally only known to people living on your side the pond. [img]smile.gif[/img] I personally don't believe that a cartoon bear ever played baseball, although I have seen Bugs bunny get an Elephant to play.

[ 01-29-2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Lanesra ]
Old 01-29-2003, 01:37 PM   #33
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

so is anybody going to explain how cricket is played. I don't have any idea?
Old 01-29-2003, 03:32 PM   #34
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
http://www.cricket.org/link_to_datab...NAL/ICC/RULES/
Old 01-29-2003, 03:50 PM   #35
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I'm not saying cricket doesn't have history. I'm simply saying, that it doesn't currently, nor will it ever, have the history that baseball has. Therefore in my opinion, I will always pass on it.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:39 PM   #36
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
I'm not saying cricket doesn't have history. I'm simply saying, that it doesn't currently, nor will it ever, have the history that baseball has. Therefore in my opinion, I will always pass on it.
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe, I'm guessing you mean to you it doesn't have the history.
On an unbiased level Cricket and Baseball both have strong and vibrant histories relevant to the people who've grown up loving them. Donald Bradman for example is at least to Australians what someone like Babe Ruth is to Americans.
There can be no real comparison IMO because the Cricket fans will always pick Cricket, and Baseball fans Baseball (duh!). If we went on a per person basis alone, the 'religion' of Cricket would win soley due to the sub-continent, but sport is subjective - people love their sports for reasons far beyond technical ones.

BTW, before this thread, if someone had asked me what the NY Yankees played, I couldn't have told them whether it was Baseball, Gridiron, Soccer, or Syncronised Swimming.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:08 PM   #37
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Oh, come on dude. Even Donk from Walkabout Creek knows who the Yankees are.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:27 PM   #38
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Oh, come on dude. Even Donk from Walkabout Creek knows who the Yankees are.
Not everyone looks to the USA to dictate their lives johnny.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:43 PM   #39
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Neither do i, what has that got to do with the Yankees ?
Old 01-29-2003, 07:58 PM   #40
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
And you gotta have a lot of patience too. When you visit a cricketmatch, it might not be over 2 days later.
Exactly, you go to a cricket match and you've got yourself 1-5 days of getting sloshed and yelling at the umpire. It's awesome. You'd think that in a nation where marijuana is legal people would love the games that allow spectators to really sit back and veg out I play cricket and softball (yeah I know, not strictly baseball, but baseball is pretty much non-existant in NZ whereas softball has a decent following), and I reckon both sports are great fun to both watch and play.

Kakero:a quick run-down of cricket rules:
There are two batsman, who stand at opposite ends of the pitch.
The bowler (pitcher) throws the ball at the wickets (three wooden stumps at the opposite end of the pitch). The batsman 'guards' the wickets and tries to hit the ball. If the bowler hits the wickets, the batsman is out.
If the batsman smacks the ball over the boundary (the home-run line) on the full, it's an instant 6 runs.
If the batsman hits the ball into the boundary (ie: not over the top on the full), then it's 4 runs.
If the batsman's hit is caught by a fielder on the full, he's out, just like in baseball.
If the batsman does an ok-ish hit, he can try running to the opposite end of the pitch (both batsman run to their respective opposite ends). For each time he makes it to the opposite end, he scores 1 run. If the fielders are able to hit the wickets with the ball while the batsmen are in mid-run (ie:not in their 'safe-zone', or 'crease' which is about 1.5 metres in front of the wicket) then the batsman who's wicket is hit, is out.

And that's pretty much it. When all batsman on a side go out, the teams swap over. Batsmen field, fielders bat. Only two batsmen at a time actually bat though.

[ 01-29-2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]