Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2003, 05:23 PM   #1
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

Remember me, I haven't posted in a while but I still lurk to make sure everybody's still Bhaalspawning it up.

Firstoff, the latest craze is a No-Reload game. It sounds like a great challenge and I want to give it a try. I also want to kick my difficulty level up a notch to insane, which I have never done. I also have mods which make the game tougher, Tactics and Improved Battles. So my question is, am I a numbnut? Will I be able to succeed or will I eventually ram my fist through my monitor? I can hear the cheers of "go for it sponge!" right now.

What I want to do is have a powergame party consisting of

-Sorceror
-Ranger/Cleric
-Archer
-Fighter/Mage
-Bounty Hunter dual to Fighter (yes, I plan on putting cheese in my mouse trap)
-and lastly, I need advice on what would round my party out.

For that last spot I initially went with a fighter kit from the Improved Battles called Arcane Avenger that has a special ability that renders him immune to time stop for 30 seconds. Just for that ability I thought that would help me a lot, but now I've changed my mind. So what should I go with?

I know Alson, Xen and Leslie are NRL gurus but I'm sure there are others out there who have embarked on a NRL quest and I would like to know what parties you're using, any tips or strategies you've learned and what not.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] Go for it Sponge!

I'm going no reloads with two parties right now. One is an NPC party. The other is a multiplayer power party ( [img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] I give a theme song to all my parties, this one: Northern Touch by Rascalz). The power party is munching on everything in the game.

Couple of things: an Inquisitor or a Cleric/Type (cleric/mages ROCK) would round it out well. Dispel Magic, True Sight and more CC is awesome for a no reloads, as one bad roll can terminate you. [img]smile.gif[/img]

A bounty hunter->fighter is no good if you have ToB. Either dual to a thief, or take a multiclass. Reason: there are HLAs that make a bounty hunter a total waste. Trust me on this one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-17-2003, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: True_Moose ]
Old 08-17-2003, 06:10 PM   #3
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:

Couple of things: an Inquisitor or a Cleric/Type (cleric/mages ROCK) would round it out well. Dispel Magic, True Sight and more CC is awesome for a no reloads, as one bad roll can terminate you. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Word. I thought about leaving that last slot open to pick up NPC's for quests and then adding Keldorn as my lone NPC when the time is right. Cleric/Mage's rock if used to their full potential, that's definately weighing on my mind.

Quote:
A bounty hunter->fighter is no good if you have ToB. Either dual to a thief, or take a multiclass. Reason: there are HLAs that make a bounty hunter a total waste. Trust me on this one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, I have ToB and those HLA's are wicked, but I was just trying to make it out of Improved Illyich's stomping grounds. I guess I should look ahead and probably go with a dual or multi though. Maybe a Jan clone would work. Would backstabbing or hide in shadows be more helpful to start with? And with all these multi-classes will I level up soon enough to compete with those tough nightly raiding parties that start to spawn around level 15 or so?

BTW, I don't know that song you mentioned, could you hum a few bars for me? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2003, 06:18 PM   #4
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Uh...no. You see, I don't really know the words, and it looks bad to see a white suburban boy rapping.

I can see a bounty hunter/fighter working if you have a secondary source of thief skills. Fighter/thieves can use ok traps too, and if you have a skull trap spell for your sorcerer, that can compensate too. And hide in shadows...you can't put points into backstab.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:44 PM   #5
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

After previewing my post I saw "would backstabbing or traps be better to start off with". And I thought what a doofus, I can't put points in backstabbing. So I went and changed traps to hide in shadows. Good move doofus, maybe I should not drink and post. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2003, 07:58 PM   #6
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBobTheDestoyer:

Yeah, I have ToB and those HLA's are wicked, but I was just trying to make it out of Improved Illyich's stomping grounds...
my sorceror with the ordinary cast (Imone, Minsc, and Jaheira) survived the imp. Illyich...your power game party should not have problem either.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:54 AM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Hi Sponge Bob! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Now if this is a NRP(No-Reloads-Party) game I suggest that you are a Sorcerer. Becuase a Sorcerer can protect himself. Or a Fighter/Mage.
Your party looks good. I suggest you do something like this:
F/M->Dual Wieldind Katanas(Celestial Fury and Sanchuudoku)
R/C->Dual Wielding Flails(FoA,DoE) and throw in some Armor Of Faith and a ToB HLA and you have really high psyhical resistance. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Archer->Give him Boots Of Speed, or better...Imp. Haste him. I as an Archer used Firetooth(ToB Crpssbow),Tuigan Bow,and Gesen Bow. I also used Kou-Toa bolts and Bolts Of Biting.
Sorcerer->Give him Staff Of The Magi,Amulet Of Power and Robe Of Vecna...and watch Dragon`s die.
Bounty Hunter->Fighter->I never used one but i prefer F/T multi-class.

Take a piece of paper and write down all the easy quests. Go to Trademeet and Druid Grove do the two main quests and you will get a lot pf rep. points and money.
When I played i only done Trademeet and I was off to Spellhold. Don`t forget to buy Shield Of Balduran and Reflection. Also try not to forget items/scrolls/whatever behind. It can happen that you will forget something but try to minimaze it.

If you want more just post or PM me.

[ 08-18-2003, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:14 AM   #8
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBobTheDestoyer:
What I want to do is have a powergame party consisting of

-Sorceror
-Ranger/Cleric
-Archer
-Fighter/Mage
-Bounty Hunter dual to Fighter (yes, I plan on putting cheese in my mouse trap)
-and lastly, I need advice on what would round my party out.

I would suggest a multiclass Fighter/Thief instead of Bounty dual and maybe for the last spot a Blade.
He can protect himself, be a good fighter, has a high level Skull trap and Dispel magic and with certain HLA can greatly help your party !
Has also other HLA's which can make life a lot easier - if you know what I mean.

I one more thing: carefully choose who will be YOU - I mean the PC.
Don't fight in the first line of attack.

I'm going with Blade this time.
Already died two times in other games (when I was the main fighter) beacuse of unexpected events. If one of your party members die, you can still resurrect him, but if you die; bye, bye.

[ 08-18-2003, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: Leslie ]
Old 08-18-2003, 03:25 AM   #9
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Yep that`s the reason why I`ve chosen an Archer. He can canst Armor Of Faith,but he was the last one in the party. Even Mages were in front of him.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 12:09 PM   #10
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Well the theme song works well for your party..."We NOTORIOUS! Ain't nobody can bang wit us!..."