Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2003, 11:55 PM   #1
Manshoon

I'm not too sure how many people in the forum are familiar with PNP playing, but all the BG2 stuff has recently made me miss the old days and forced me to get back into it. Upon doing so, I'm realizing how many rules and options and what not are included (bravo, gamemakers) but just as many are left out/altered. I'm curious then, if anyone who remembers PNP rules has a particular feature that they're happy was included from PNP, or if there's any features they wish HAD BEEN included?

Me personally, who up until BG2 had been getting my RPG fix from Diablo 2, am overly relieved by the spell variations and options, the wealth of possibilities and fact that it's so much more fun to play a game where you don't rely entirely on one or two skills. Despite the complaining some people do, this game DOES offer a decent amount of creativity to be used and has a lot of possibilities other games I've played don't.

Least favorite is the repitition... repitition....... repitition............ repiblahblah... (irenicus's dungeon, anyone?) The one thing D2 had going for it was the randomization of the maps... PNP had the fact that with 1/2 books and 6 dice, you could easily play for years and never do the same thing twice (if you're creative enough) I know, a lot of people will say "If that's what you want, buy Neverwinter Nights." But this is a BG2 forum, let's keep it that way
Old 02-13-2003, 09:19 AM   #2
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

well I never played pnp AD&D, but I did play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay for a while (it's very similar from what I've heard)

The main reason I wanted to comment here was just to say what cool games BG1 & 2 are. I was never a fan of CRPG until I played BG1, and apart from other BG titles (eg IWD), I'm still not. Diablo sucked (IMO), everything else that I've played is amaturish and crap. There are a few big titles I haven't even tried, and maybe I will, but for now Balders Gate is the only CRPG I've ever liked. And when I say 'like'... BG2-Tob (and now with TDD) is the *only* game I've even played in about 3 months. I got BG2 ages ago, but came back to it recently and discovered all the great stuff online for it. I've gone mod-happy and I think it's got a lot more playability yet before I get tired of it.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
Lilandra_Fury
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have not played DND PNP - i have played other roleplaying games though. At then end of the day they all come down to same thing.

I love Baldur's Gate series - it is so immersive, good plot, good twists, good characters. How many other games have this movie feel to it, I can't think of one, While i would have liked some randomness placed in the gaming engine, the sheer size of the game and character options has made it replayable many times over, I keep discovering new quests/plots.

I find the game system over all does a great job of keeping the math/dice aspect hidden, thus not overwhelming new players, this always dragged on for far too long ith PNP

The bad
Ok the dungeon atthe beginning, its boring but also its a good introduction to the game for new players, its very indicative of the rest of the game.

No running, I find myself casting haste just to get back to the beginning of certain areas or exits, cause I hate waiting for the characters to catch up

Domination/mind control is the most frustrating aspects of the game and I find used far too ofton (this is a personal thing), give me a good fight but fight fair.

load times a bit much, wish i could turn auto save off tro save time.

That's about it, I love this game, I keep playing and with experience it keep getting better. I have hooked 3 other people in the office on it already nd working on the 4th

I look forward to any other bioware releases