Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2003, 11:10 PM   #11
Animal
Gold Dragon

Makes you wonder just how well all that technology is working for the US. How can you possible engage in a fire fight with your own troops for 90mins and not realize it? Was there no communication?

Good thing nobody called for air support?
Old 03-28-2003, 11:52 PM   #12
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Posted By: Thoran
Fog of war... all the technology in the world doesn't seem to be able to get rid of it, and sometimes it seems to make it worse.
I don't comepletly disagree with what you are stating but, you have to admit that many lives have most likely been spared by the U.S. and U.K. by being determined over the past two decades to develop the most modern and technologically advanced millitaries.

I heard on some cable news show that the U.S. Army's 4th Mechaninized division which is heading through the Suez Canal right now and will be deployed into Southern Iraq in about 7-10 days, is probably the most advanced tank division/brigade in the world. I remember hearing this retired military person say that the 4th's Abraham Tanks and Bradley fighting vehicles are outfitted with GPS and specific computer systems which allow the commanders to see on a screen in real time where each and every one of his vehicles are located. I beleive I remember him saying that each vehicle in this division has the similar capability of being able to see where other friendly vehicles/tanks are on the battle field, in relation to his own. This I think would almost comepletly eliminate anymore of these debacles that we have seen with "friendly fire".
Old 03-30-2003, 12:34 PM   #13
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Only if it works, Sir Heinrich. The technology, just judging from what you say, has several things it depends on. First, the communication from tank to tank and from each tank to a hub is often a huge issue - at least if every communication device I've ever seen in my life is any indicator. Plus, the location of each tank is tagged to its GPS. If that is off by say, 50 meters, that would have a great effect.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:59 PM   #14
Skunk
Banned User

Actually, according to the reports, it was due to guerilla tactics.
Basically what happened was that the militia crept in between the two units, opened fire on both sides - and crept away, leaving the two units to fight it out amongst themselves.

The first recorded use of the strategy was by US troops in WWII.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030327/140/dwdm6.html
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 08:59 PM   #15
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Posted By: Timber Loftis

Plus, the location of each tank is tagged to its GPS. If that is off by say, 50 meters, that would have a great effect.
You may very well be right on such a scenario. However, I was always under the impression that it was only the handheld and other related devices that the average citizen can buy at the store, which were under such location accuracy limitations. It was because the U.S. government (maybe others too?) would purposely skew the precise location reading of these devices in the name of national security. However the military's GPS devices are supposedly very very accurate, atleast in the vast majority of the time. I would also wager that they would (or already have) come up with backup communication methods. What those may be, I have no idea. The point is that much of today's technology DOES help to clear up the foginess of war, atleast to some degree.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:42 AM   #16
Skunk
Banned User

Yet another incident!
Were these pilots on Acid????

'I never want to hear that sound again'
They will never forget the sound of the guns. A cross between a moan and a roar, a fierce rattling of heavy rounds of 30mm canon fire from two A10 Thunderbolts flying low overhead. Aircraft that shouldn't have been in the British-controlled area, "cowboying" at just 500ft and looking for something to have a crack at.
Last Friday morning, two American pilots turned their guns on a convoy of five British vehicles from the Household Cavalry, killing one man just three days shy of his 26th birthday, injuring four others and wiping out two armoured reconnaissance vehicles from the squadron's Two Troop. Two Iraqi civilians, waving a large white flag, were also killed.

Coloured smoke signs were sent up to indicate that they were friendly troops but it didn't stop the attack. The planes came back a second time, seriously injuring those who had managed to scramble out of their vehicles with only superficial wounds. The gunner, Corporal Matty Hull, however, was the victim of a direct hit into his gun turret.

The men in the Scimitars were screaming over the radio "stop the friendly fire, we are being engaged by friendly fire" and "pop smoke, pop smoke". The forward air controller, who liaises with coalition air forces to bring in fire missions, was shouting "check fire, check fire". Frantic calls were made to 16 Air Assault Brigade headquarters to find out what was going on. But no one seemed to know.

The A10s were about to take a third swing when they were told by the American air patroller working with the Household cavalry to stop firing.

Instead of providing air cover while helicopters came in to evacuate the casualties, they baled out.

The attack took place within the Household Cavalry's battlefield control line which means that everything in the air should be controlled by them and their embedded American air controller. The A10s were well out of their area and the matter is now being investigated amidst calls from some of the British troops that the pilots be prosecuted for manslaughter.

So far in this conflict, Britain has suffered more casualties from friendly fire, five, than from assaults by the Iraqis.

That morning's plan had been to use artillery, air and helicopter strikes against Iraqi positions in order to secure the area for future operations. D Squadron is an armoured reconnaissance unit and their job is to move in first and secure locations before other troops move in.

You could hear the battle over the radio, with the guns rattling down the airwaves. The squadron leader's Spartan vehicle narrowly missed a hit by two mortars, a procedure known as bracketing. The whistling and explosion cannot be heard in these vehicles but the tremor of the earth could.

The two Scimitars had been probing a road, checking for landmines, enemy locations, assault batteries.

At this point, Two Troop was given orders to move forward. Squadron leader Richard Taylor said: "I remember saying 'move quickly through the urban area, as we will be vulnerable from civilians, make best speed, good luck'. I don't think I will be wishing anyone good luck again."

Ears pricked up as shouting came over the radio. At first it seemed like someone had just lost their rag. Then the full horror dawned. One of the vehicles had been hit, no two, and by "friendly call signs".

Manslaughter

They stood still, stopping what they were doing. At first they thought it was one lad, then another. Whoever it was, it didn't ease the twist of knots that started knitting themselves in their stomachs. Later, they learned it was Matty Hull, who aside from being a gunner was also a military instructor who was being considered for a posting to Sandhurst to train officers.

Amidst the grief, their anger could not be contained. All of D Squadron's vehicles are clearly marked, with fluorescent panels on the roofs, flags and other markings. It was something that the soldiers kept saying, over and over. "We spend all this money marking out our vehicles so this doesn't happen," one said. "If it was the heat of battle, shit happens. But it was clear daylight."

Another said: "As far as I am concerned, those two pilots should be done for manslaughter. There's no way on the planet that they couldn't see two vehicles, that they couldn't see the dayglo panel on the top."

Trooper Joe Woodgate, 19, the driver of the Scimitar in which Cpl Hull was killed, walked away with holes in his bulletproof vest and a tear in either side of his shirtsleeve where shrapnel entered and exited, without touching his arm. All the rest of his colleagues had to be evacuated to the hospital ship Argos.

"We were given this mission to go along and clear one of the furthest routes, a road running along between the river Euphrates and this village. We knew it was going to be pretty hairy because we had been bombing the shit out of the Iraqis all day," he said.

"I was moving along and for some reason, the wagon just stopped dead and these two massive sparks came flying into my cab. I turned round and the turret was just a well of fire behind me. There was fire everywhere. I tried to get out and my hatch was jammed. I was banging away at it for what seemed like a lifetime but it was probably only a few seconds. As soon as I saw the fire, I thought 'get the ■■■■ out of here'. I managed to get out and rolled on the floor. I didn't realise that it was the Americans that had hit us.

"I remember seeing the front wagon which had been hit and I remember seeing the people getting out of that and running for cover. I thought there must be ground troops coming to get us. I went pegging it after them and jumped in a ditch. That was when the American plane came round to do a second swoop on us. That ■■■■■■■ gun, I don't want to ever hear that again. It's like a cross between a moan and a roar it's that fast.

"Chris Finney helped people get out of the wagon, he was amazing. I didn't know what was going on at that point. We were in this ditch and I still didn't realise it was Americans. I didn't realise that Matty was still in the turret. So we ran back over to the wagons. The engineers who had been in our convoy were there helping with the casualties and getting them into their Spartan while they were under fire.

"By all accounts, I found Finney and he had a shrapnel wound all up his arse. Gerry knew exactly what needed to be done. I remember seeing him stand up and wave his arms in the air, trying to get these planes to stop.

"When I got out, I thought Matty had got out as well but when I was pegging it off after Gerry, I thought where's Matty and I looked behind me and the ■■■■■■■ wagon was just a mess man. It's weird because you are thinking, maybe if I had done things differently... I don't know why Matty couldn't get out. People said they remember hearing him on the radio but I don't remember a thing. In hindsight, you always think there's something else you could have done.

"I went back there on Saturday when they went to recover the vehicles and Matty's body but I wasn't allowed out of the vehicle until they held a service for him. Part of me thinks, I have already cheated death and I may be tempting fate by staying out here but they have moved me to squadron headquarters because I don't have a vehicle to drive anymore and I should be safe here."

The Scimitar was so badly ablaze it was still smoking the following morning, the palls of gray in the eyeline of every member of D Squadron. Fully loaded with ammunition, it had become an exploding tinderbox. Much of it, including its gun turret and its tracks, had melted.

The troops could do nothing but evacuate the casualties and leave the gunner's body behind. When daylight came, the squadron leader, a padre and a number of the troops returned to the scene to bring the body out. Chemical warfare suits had to be worn because of the threat from the depleted uranium used in the American weapons. A remembrance service yesterday was interrupted by the thuds of incoming Iraqi artillery and the padre saying, "and the Lord said, oh, that was a bit close, get down".

Afterwards, squadron leader Taylor said: "Militarily, it was a very successful operation that was marred by the tragic events that led to friendly fire casualties. To Mrs Hull, I would like to say that the hearts of the squadron are very much with her and her family today. Her husband did not die in vain. He was an immaculately professional soldier. He was highly regarded and immensely popular within the regiment, he will always be remembered for his smiley face and professional manner."

Trooper Joe Woodgate said. "I can't stop thinking about him. I can't stop thinking about how he died. He has a wife and everything. In a way I think it is unfair that he had to go and I got out."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story...926204,00.html

[ 03-31-2003, 05:03 AM: Message edited by: Skunk ]
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 05:04 AM   #17
Donut
Jack Burton

Extracts from today's Times

“All this kit has been provided by the Americans. They’ve said if you put this kit on you won’t get shot,” LCoH Gerrard said from his hospital bed on the Argus. “We can identify a friendly vehicle from 1,500 metres, yet you’ve got an A10 with advanced technology and he can’t use a thermal sight to identify whether a tank is a friend or foe. It’s ridiculous.

“Combat is what I’ve been trained for. I can command my vehicle. I can keep it from being attacked. What I have not been trained to do is look over my shoulder to see whether an American is shooting at me.”

He added: “After this I am quite pleased to be going home. ‘Blue-on-blue’ has always been one of my biggest fears. It is something that my friends and family joked about. ‘Don’t worry about the Iraqis, it’s the Americans you want to watch.’ The proof is in the pudding really"
--------

It's sad when it comes to this. is there any possibility of getting this pilot on the TV so that he can explain what was going though his brain (sic) when he murdered this British soldier?

All of the previous 'friendly fire' incidents I can sort of understand. Men or Women under pressure, thinking their lives or lives of other allies are under threat, but this one is unforgivable. This pilot didn't have to shoot unless he was 100% certain that it was the enemy. Didn't the Union Jack give him a clue? Or doesn't he know what that flag looks like. Was he even aware that Britain is involved in the war in Iraq? General Richard Myers, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has apologised, saying "there is simply no excuse". Thanks Dick - I'm sure his family is happy now.

Let's put the pilot of the A10 on trial for the murder of Lance Corporal of Horse, Matty Hull of the Blues and Royals, Household Cavalry Regiment, and if he's found guilty "let's fry his sorry ass!"

[ 03-31-2003, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 12:40 PM   #18
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

This shite has got to stop. If I were the Britts, I'd start shooting back. I'm so damned embarrassed. [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2003, 12:56 PM   #19
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Speaking of stupid, I have heard the most imbecillistic sentence this morning on the radio : "The US generals say the war will last longer than expected, mainly because of the resistance of the Iraqi".

I know, I know what he meant - but this is an intrinsically stupid sentence : what, the generals say the war will be harder because the other side is fighting back ? Isn't this a war, or did I miss something ?
I think he is refering to the fact that the general populace is not rising up as expected. Probably due to the fact that The Iraqi's have bought US and British uniforms and are going out and killing anyone who surrenders to them...and because of the fedayeen taking children as hostages to make the men fight. These tactics were not really anticipated.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:58 PM   #20
MagiK

TL this stuff happens when two countries try to merge their forces with the multitude of incompatible systems and comms gear....it is sad that this happens but not completely surprising...each year we have casualties and accidents when we train together.....and when you have a number of years where training budghets get slashed due to lack of funding....well mroe accidents happen