Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2003, 11:45 PM   #1
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

I was planning to format my C drive and save all important information to my removable hard drive. After that I wanted to install Windows XP to a partition that I *WAS* planning to make using a crappy and EVIL program called Partition Magic. So I followed the instructions in making a new partition, it said I could have a MAX of 94.1 MEG! So I thought "I can always enlarge it after I make it" (stupid) so the program said I had to reboot my comp, I did... long story short, the comp was in DOS mode for 10 hours with my father going around in circles trying to find the strangely non-existent C drive. Eventually my dad had to format my removable HD (Loosing all my saved games and stuff I put on there so I WOULDNT loose it!) it didn’t help (of course, what was I thinking. How dare I have the nerve to expect loosing all my important data would actually HELP solve a problem!?) Anyway, C drive was then recognized, but it still didn’t work! And THEN I had to have my c(!) drive reformatted! damnit, I lost everything (as you would expect) all my music my games my por... Er, funny pictures [img]tongue.gif[/img] And then I had to do the grueling task of reinstalling all my drivers (half the time was spent finding them...) and windows updates... I don’t expect anyone to car I just needed a larger audience to complain to [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
*Takes deep breath*

[ 03-23-2003, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Dagorion ]
Old 03-24-2003, 12:02 AM   #2
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Don't worry Dagorion, I feel your pain (so does my dad [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] ). Awhile back, I think about four or five months, my tower started making a clicking sound and I asked my dad to look at it. Long and tramatic story short, I lost all of my music, all of my movies (about 75) and countless hours on my PC games. I nearly threw the piece of crap out the window [img]tongue.gif[/img] Now I make sure I never leave mine on again unless I always use it, who knew Western Digital motherboards burn out only after a few short months? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] Same thing happened to my dad, but he had about 2-3 times as much stuff as I had on mine. *Gives Dagorion a tissue and a pat on the back*

It'll be alright
Old 03-24-2003, 01:10 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

dont wori.. i too am also one of the victims of "wrong or forced formatting". i was using "fdisk" in dos that time.. and had the same results as the rest of you... all my childhood lost data downloading gone.. sniff..

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-24-2003, 01:15 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I feel your pain, that's why I always backup my stuff to cds every few months. Things like that happened to me too often for my taste.

It suck having to completely restart a collection of funny stuff.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:31 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Aye, I hear you. I too incur this problem. apparently my cousin went to my house on last weekend while I wasn't home. She tried to play my computer but somehow it become spoiled ( I don't know how that happen ). so she took my computer to the computer shop for repair as a compensation. The computer shop people formatted my hard disk and ALL my things inside is lost!

Now I have to replay back My Morrowind, Championship Manager all over again.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:23 AM   #6
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Pain in the butt it is to lose all your stuff. I saved most of my stuff and formatted last week. Today I re-re backed up all my stuff, as tomorrow Im dumping XP to go to Windows 2000 Server.

Am sick of XP being such a memory hog. 2000 Server is supposed to still be he best OS Microsoft has released to date.

Adios XP
Old 03-24-2003, 04:50 AM   #7
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Thanks guys. Yes, Luvian, it really is a bummer to have to recollect all my funny stuff. [img]graemlins/1disgust.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 06:56 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Been there, done that, let the hubby fix it. Yeah the only time I tried Partition magic also ended in disaster. The hdd never was the same after that. After that I took a crash course in Fdisk and I am now proud to announce I´m abloe to use that program. [img]smile.gif[/img] Luckily I have a slave hdd to back up all my important contents of my master hdd.

About the drivers. Doesn´t WinXP have pretty good driver support? Win2k seems to have rather new drivers in it´s cab.. [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img] Of course I try to get them from the developer anyway.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:19 AM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ouch! I can sympathize! Heck, my computer had serious software issues the day it arrived here. Brand new! I ended up (at the suggestion of the Gateway technician) reformatting my brand new 20gig hard drive a week after I bought it. And after I'd loaded a lot of software... [img]tongue.gif[/img] ....Yup, I feel for you! Too bad about your saved games being lost too!
Old 03-24-2003, 04:46 PM   #10
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Sympathy man. I have to re-format my comp ever 2 weeks - Seriously. But I used Partition magic myself and its really good. It keeps me from losin my music and saves and stuff. So maybe you just screwed up. LOL, No offence. But it works, as the title says, magic for me.