Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2004, 07:18 AM   #141
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
And you think Sweden is ? The thought alone gives me goosebumps.
Well, it takes REAL men to live up here. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 07:21 AM   #142
Melusine
Dracolisk

Whatever. In the spirit of not derailing this thread any further, I will not post a point-by-point response to the ridiculous things that have been said, but I cannot really let this pass without saying anything either, and not debunk the misinterpretations of my post.
Aelia, you are absolutely spot on in what you wrote and I thank you! You highlight the exact thing that bothers me, and it is *all* that bothers me. It's a social trend, not something personal. I have absolutely no weight issues, I am not insecure about my weight - the very idea is laughable! I am happy with my weight, thanks very much. The accusation that I am overblowing this issue for personal reasons is completely off the mark. What I responded to is a negative tendency in society that allows people to say everything they want about thin or just regular slender people that would be considered offensive when said to heavy people. Skinny *is* a negative term, and silencer's idea that it would be offensive to men but not to women doesn't seem at all indicative of the notion that women are hysterical when it comes to discussion of their weight.
LordK, my use of the word 'fat' was of course deliberate. People are debating the connotations that I attach to 'skinny', but it's the exact same thing. People have been called down before for using the term "fat" on this forum. It is above all debate that there would have been a wholly different reaction if several members had told an overweight person "you look pregnant" and Gangrell would then have added "if you were you could hide it pretty damn well being so fat as you are". And that is my entire point. I'm really sorry to disappoint Silencer and his theories about women who go hysterical over weight, but what I said had nothing to do with any issues about my personal weight.
In conclusion, to Gangrell, if you have such a big problem with me that you feel like making a snide remark, then backing out, and then accusing ME of twisting people's words around on a regular basis, maybe you should be man enough to just have an honest discussion about your bias towards me, and tell me what you think I am doing or saying wrong, rather than going about it in such a sneaky way. Thanks.

Edit:
God, I have to add this. Just put it down to my "typically womanly" and hence completely justifiable tendency to overreact and behave like an hysteric.
Silencer, the way you think about men and women is so completely wrong in my eyes. The audacity to accuse me of reacting "typically like a woman", the broad generalisations you make about men and women, the ridiculous idea that to call a man skinny is offensive but it's ok to call a woman skinny, the assertion that all women worry about their weight but no man ever does... and THEN you tell Aelia that you live in the real world? LOL! I've known PLENTY men who worried about their weight, and many women who have extremely healthy and realistic attitudes towards their weight. The way you generalise is simply astounding. In the REAL world, men and women aren't usually black-and-white enough to make for convenient pigeonholing, no matter how disappointing that must be to you.

[ 10-17-2004, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 10-17-2004, 07:41 AM   #143
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Whoa, settle down guys, peace. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 07:47 AM   #144
Melusine
Dracolisk

Yeah, all settled here. Gangrell can take whatever his problem is to PM with me and we'll try to sort it out that way, I hope. Thanks Johnny, for the peacemaking role.. and I'll be sure to return the favour when you are making obnoxious drunken posts.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:49 AM   #145
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Yeah, all settled here. Gangrell can take whatever his problem is to PM with me and we'll try to sort it out that way, I hope. Thanks Johnny, for the peacemaking role.. and I'll be sure to return the favour when you are making obnoxious drunken posts.
Any time Mel. But did you at least have a pleasant evening ?
Old 10-17-2004, 07:56 AM   #146
Melusine
Dracolisk

Yeah, I already mentioned that several times. Had a fabulous night! It was my sister's birthday and we had dinner at her house and then went into town. Only downside is my mother told me yesterday evening her wallet got lost , probably stolen from "Het Pandje" where we went drinking. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 09:33 AM   #147
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Yeah, I already mentioned that several times. Had a fabulous night! It was my sister's birthday and we had dinner at her house and then went into town. Only downside is my mother told me yesterday evening her wallet got lost , probably stolen from "Het Pandje" where we went drinking. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Argh, what is it with mothers lately ? My mother lost the keys to MY house two weeks ago, and lost her own carkeys last week. They can't seem to get a hold of things lately, can they ?

Anyways, congrats to your sis, and i'll stop derailing this thread any further now.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:55 AM   #148
Melusine
Dracolisk

Why don't you post a picture of yourself as penance for going off-topic? Come on, let's see it!
Old 10-17-2004, 10:33 AM   #149
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Just for the record, I am pretty sure that "skinny" IS a negative term when used for a woman, as it implies that she is too bony and has no nice curves on her. Slim is the preferred term [img]smile.gif[/img] Slender is more descriptive (i.e. neutral) whereas "slim" is more like a compliment. I don't really think this is a matter of opinion - it is a matter of who has picked up the accepted usage of the word, who has a talent for verbal illustration, and who has decided to use a word differently or simply has no perception of word usage.

[ 10-17-2004, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 10-17-2004, 10:40 AM   #150
Melusine
Dracolisk

Thanks Uncle Vasky. Those are about the same connotations that I have with the word, and I am pretty sure they are standard and generally accepted connotations. No problems in the curve department here BTW, maybe that's why I *was* just a tiny bit offended by people thinking my belly is the most noticable curve on my body. [img]tongue.gif[/img] That WAS a joke, yes. It seems such disclaimers are needed...

I love the pic you posted BTW, very pretty date you have, too. Nice to see what you look like without the sunglasses & thick gold chain or hiking gear.