Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2004, 06:43 AM   #111
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:

Mel pregnant? Well, in any case if she was, she can hide it pretty damn well being as skinny as she is [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Wow. Thanks so much for making my hung-over morning even better. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Firstly, I would LOVE to see what would happen if I posted a similar remark about one of the fat people on Ironworks. Actually, I know what would happen: I'd get slapped down by a mod and many people would chide me for being so rude and insensitive. Why oh why is it a faux pas to say anything about obesity but apparently still totally OK to make remarks about skinniness?
Secondly, even aside from the above, you should think about having some surgery to have that foot removed from your mouth, and start thinking about what you wanna say BEFORE you say it. How do you think that remark would have made me feel if I were an anorexic? Or if my chronic illness made me suffer from weightloss? (which is actually partly the case). Now it's just your bad luck that I've got a hangover or I wouldn't even have bothered with this rant, but I guess it's one of my pet peeves and you got stuck in the firing line. Don't take it too personally. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Well, actually do take it personally. Remarks like yours can be quite hurtful and you could have thought about that before. It's your GOOD luck that I am nowhere near skinny, just slender (except for my bottom which cannot be called slender in any way - I should post a picture of it and see how skinny you think I am then. ). Maybe a normal figure is so rare these days that you didn't recognise it immediately. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Anyway. Remarks about a person's weight are potentially rude, mmkay? Thank you, rant over, back to preparing my enormous, anti-hangover, full-of-fat eggs & cheese breakfast. I think I need to put on some weight.

[ 10-16-2004, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 10-16-2004, 09:12 AM   #112
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Actually what I was trying to get at was I didn't think you looked pregnant because you have a slim figure, but sorry you took it the wrong way.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:52 AM   #113
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:

Mel pregnant? Well, in any case if she was, she can hide it pretty damn well being as skinny as she is [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Wow. Thanks so much for making my hung-over morning even better. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Firstly, I would LOVE to see what would happen if I posted a similar remark about one of the fat people on Ironworks. Actually, I know what would happen: I'd get slapped down by a mod and many people would chide me for being so rude and insensitive. Why oh why is it a faux pas to say anything about obesity but apparently still totally OK to make remarks about skinniness?
Secondly, even aside from the above, you should think about having some surgery to have that foot removed from your mouth, and start thinking about what you wanna say BEFORE you say it. How do you think that remark would have made me feel if I were an anorexic? Or if my chronic illness made me suffer from weightloss? (which is actually partly the case). Now it's just your bad luck that I've got a hangover or I wouldn't even have bothered with this rant, but I guess it's one of my pet peeves and you got stuck in the firing line. Don't take it too personally. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Well, actually do take it personally. Remarks like yours can be quite hurtful and you could have thought about that before. It's your GOOD luck that I am nowhere near skinny, just slender (except for my bottom which cannot be called slender in any way - I should post a picture of it and see how skinny you think I am then. ). Maybe a normal figure is so rare these days that you didn't recognise it immediately. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Anyway. Remarks about a person's weight are potentially rude, mmkay? Thank you, rant over, back to preparing my enormous, anti-hangover, full-of-fat eggs & cheese breakfast. I think I need to put on some weight.
[/QUOTE]So your night was OK, I presume? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 10-16-2004, 10:43 AM   #114
Melusine
Dracolisk

Sure honey, and to compliment someone you'd of course use a negative term like skinny rather than a positive one like slim... right. If your post is how you usually say nice things, you must be very popular with the girls. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Link, my night was great! It's the morning that was less amusing. But I've had my big breakfast and am all good to go again.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:56 AM   #115
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Haha, how is that negative? Skinny, slim, thin, it all means the same thing. Besides, for a person that normally twists people's words around on the boards and throws it back at them, I'd imagine this shouldn't bother you that much Mel [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2004, 11:06 AM   #116
silencer
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
[...]Why oh why is it a faux pas to say anything about obesity but apparently still totally OK to make remarks about skinniness?[...]
The typical women's response to a remark about weight - completely overblowing the issue and making it seem like a personal attack. If you would stop and think a second, you would note it was not said in an insulting manner at all, and that using "heavy" in place of would probably not insult a heavy-set person (none I know at least, and neigher would I be). Even the smile at the end undorscores this tenfold.

[ 10-16-2004, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: silencer ]
Old 10-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #117
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Mel, I can absolutely relate to every word you have said, and agree. Of course the word or words and references, is the other end of the physical spectrum. But, as I have been told many times, being very sensitive about this issue, I think you may be kinda over doin it a bit here. He was just pointing out that you dont look pregnant. I have learned something myself reading this thread. Words that we may find offensive, may not be considered so to others. For example, being on the bigger side of things, I never saw the word "skinny" as offensive, yet it is to you. As the word "fat" is offensive to me, but is not to others, ya know. Maybe we need to remember that sensitivities we have developed towards words or phrases is not generally intended by the person, especially in this context. BTW, I think you look beautiful.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:45 PM   #118
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Galadria just told me to post that she wouldn't mind if you called her skinny. For the record, Mel, the word that I would use to describe you is "gorgeous." [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2004, 03:51 PM   #119
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Hey, instead of bickering and arguing, let's post some pictures...so here's one of me...it was taken at my neice and nephew's birthday party, and I'm wearing a party hat...if you look carefully, you can see the string below my chin...but I decided to shrink the picture so that people on dialup actually had a chance to see it...

EDIT:it's that thing that looks kinda like a wrinkle on my neck ...

[ 10-16-2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Ilander ]

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 10-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #120
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I have been meaning to tell you Ilander, your sig is just wrong man. Very scary.

Ok, just kiddin, its actually pretty cool...