Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2002, 05:35 PM   #21
Moiraine
Anubis

Would you, at a party, seeing someone you don't know, go to him and tell him "Wow, you sure are an ugly one !" ? Would you like being in the receiving end ?

That's what civilization is about. Our ancestral survival instinct may tell us to get aggressive at any intruder as a possible competitor, though it seems to me that we can use the great new tool we've acquired since back then, it's called a brain ya know. Are we to allow ourselves to keep being eternally slaves of our animal instincts, or do we have the capacity to grow to civilization ?

[ 06-01-2002, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Moiraine ]
Old 06-01-2002, 05:38 PM   #22
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I think Police Officer is more respectful than saying "Cop" myself, Cop sounds like a slang to me. Always wondered where that word came from, anyone know? Just curious.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 06-01-2002, 05:47 PM   #23
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Would you, at a party, seeing someone you don't know, go to him and tell him "Wow, you sure are an ugly one !" ? Would you like being in the receiving end ?

That's what civilization is about. Our ancestral survival instinct may tell us to get aggressive at any intruder as a possible competitor, though it seems to me that we can use the great new tool we've acquired since back then, it's called a brain ya know. Are we to allow ourselves to eternally slaves of our animal instincts, or do we have the capacity to grow to civilization ?
I agree! Most political correctness is about being courteous and not deliberately using terms that those they refer to find offensive. If it takes a few extra syllables to say African-American than ■■■■■■ or black, then tough.

I absolutely agree with political correctness where it replaces terms that are racist, sexist or otherwise discriminatory. Also where it stops stigmatising from labelling (for example, calling someone insane). It can go too far, if people actually use the term 'negative patient outcome' I think that's a little silly (though I am sceptical about that - sounds more like something someone made up to show PCness had 'gone too far' ), but I think it's better to be too courteous than not courteous enough.
Old 06-01-2002, 05:56 PM   #24
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
oh no, i didnt point out all of them. i just noticed some more but i wont start doing that anymore [img]smile.gif[/img] . though, Hunterguy, put the comma right after writing a word(example: "hi, man" instead of "hi , man" ). no hard feelings [img]smile.gif[/img]
btw, whats an "alek whipper snapper"?
It is a guy who does not use capital letters at the beginning of a sentence and for "I" but still has the nerve to point out other people's grammar errors [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 06-02-2002, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: caleb ]
Old 06-01-2002, 06:06 PM   #25
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:

That's what civilization is about. Our ancestral survival instinct may tell us to get aggressive at any intruder as a possible competitor, though it seems to me that we can use the great new tool we've acquired since back then, it's called a brain ya know. Are we to allow ourselves to keep being eternally slaves of our animal instincts, or do we have the capacity to grow to civilization ?
and it's that same brain that time and time again sets the world on fire.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:06 PM   #26
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
It is a guy who does not use capital letters at the beginning of a sentence and for "I" but still has the nerve to point out other peoples grammar errors [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Like this:

Err, Caleb, you do realise that it should be "other people's grammar errors," rather than "other peoples grammar errors."
You see, it is the grammar errors of other people it therefore requires a possessive apostrophe.
[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

There Uss, that is a smart alec.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:25 PM   #27
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I think Police Officer is more respectful than saying "Cop" myself, Cop sounds like a slang to me. Always wondered where that word came from, anyone know? Just curious.
Ah, always a pleasure to answer the questions of a lady with a great signature. The term "cop" is short for "copper," which I am sure that you have heard used. That was the material of the buttons on the uniforms of the police force that Sir Robert Peel (1788-1850) set up in London in 1829, the first organized metropolitan police force in the world, in London.
And then, since this is a thread about euphemisms, which PC speech is, I shall point out that "Smart alec" is a euphemism for "smart ass," which, uss, means someone who pretends to more knowledge than he/she has.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:33 PM   #28
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

*now that subject has been brought up needs to bore everyone with facts they didn't want to know*

Indeed, and also due to their assembler, they were commonly referred to as "peelers" by us Brits for some time.
Also, ever wondered why prison guards are referred to as "screws"?
I'll tell you... in English prisons during the 19th century, before the proper prison reform, prisoners were often set to many pointless tasks, such as oakem picking (picking apart strands of an oil-covered rope used previously on boats) and the treadmill, but also in some they had the crank, whereby the crank in their solitary cell had to be rotated a set amount of times before they would get their breakfast/lunch etc, and they used to come in when it was becoming easier for the prisdoner, and screw it tighter, so it was harder to turn.
There... bet you were dying to know that.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:35 PM   #29
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Ah, interesting, yes I have heard of the word "copper" before, but again, didn't know where it came from. Thanks Attalus for your kind interpretation [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 06-01-2002, 06:41 PM   #30
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Ah, interesting, yes I have heard of the word "copper" before, but again, didn't know where it came from. Thanks Attalus for your kind interpretation [img]smile.gif[/img]
(Bows) A pleasure, milady.
Thanks, Talthyr, I had never heard of that etymology for "screws." LOL, thought they only used that term in old Jimmy Cagney movies. BTW, "bobby" comes from that same Sir Robert. But, as a reader of the Lovejoy novels, why on earth call them "the old Bill?"