Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

ok I have just recently bought a new computer and decided to use the Win Xp (with SPack1)cd which came with it and was preinstalled, to install it onto this computer, which is running on 98SE. I didnt think it would work (CD key) but it did and started to install. After preparing to install it restarted and asked which drive (I have 2) that I wanted to partition it on. I clicked on my slave drive, C: and it said that there was already an OS on this drive (98SE) and asked if I wanted to continue. I said yes and then it asked me if I wanted to convert my drive to NFTS, at which point I cancelled and restarted in 98. I then remembered that I didnt actually need to install from scratch, I could just upgrade. But the thing is there is no option for that when I try to do it on installation, where u select the down arrow and choose which installation you want, there is only "New Installation (advanced)" So what should I do? Will I lose all my existing data if I do a fresh install, should I do it on my secondary drive, should I convert to NFTS? These are the questions I need answered

Thanks

Ross

[ 04-09-2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: RoSs_bg2_rox ]
Old 04-09-2004, 08:46 PM   #2
Teri-sha Illistyn
Zhentarim Guard

The disk that came with your new computer is a 'image' of that computer. It is still the operating system but it is setup to install on that new computer only. It contains all the hardware and driver information as well as any network information and programs specifically for that new computer.

If you try to install it on another computer it will install but it will format your harddrive and install the hardware device drivers for the computer it came with.

I highly reccomend NOT installing it on any computer except the one it came with.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I agree with that last statement. Having two PCs with the same CD key will only bring you trouble down the road. Especially with Microsoft's sneaky ways these days.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:25 PM   #4
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

If you pick NTFS as your file system, you can't read those files from Win 98. To keep that backward compatibility, you've got to stay with FAT instead of NTFS.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:30 AM   #5
Ehrys
Manshoon

Ross, these guys are all correct...
1) two possibilities for the CD: it's an image (containing hardware & config specific info for the PC it came with), or it's just the OS, and you've got a separate CD/ diskettes for all the other drivers (sometimes the manufacturers do it this way too)... most like the first. If that is the case, be aware that installing this "image" may not be the recommended thing to do.

2) If you convert your file system to NTFS, you will not be able to read the data you have from FAT16 or FAT32. Although if you're worried about file efficiency, storage and security (and don't worry about data you have previously already on a FAT drive) you should go NTFS (especially if you are running a server?)

3) Microsoft CD keys: using duplicates or copies (especially "images") of the OS per machine is traceable... and when you go to upgrade any of the products from the Microsoft websites, it knows (from their DB of "bad" product keys) if you are using copies, etc., and will not allow you to upgrade (e.g., installation of MS security patches, service packs, etc.) You can get around this though by downloading an MS OS CD key generator (uses the same algorithms) and creating a unique one for your PC from some hack site. Be aware however, that there are a multitude of copies floating around there so may need to go through a few different keys.

4) Don't forget to check your hardware compliance listing for the PC you are putting WinXP on... not all hardware (depending on when you bought it... sounds like it was a while back though because you're running Win98SE?) is on the compatibility listing nor part of the Microsoft Logo Program.

Hint: always backup your device drivers before upgrading to another OS.

Hope that helps somewhat... I think there are other IT guys on this forum also that might be able to provide you with some insight.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:56 AM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

It is a dell CD, and I think its just the OS, the drivers are all on different CDs. Well if i dont install it (still not sure as I dont want to lose all my data) then is there a way to get rid of the annoying thing that comes up when I boot my computer. It asks whether I want to run XP or 98 even though XP isnt fully installed. And I have to select 98 or after 2 seconds it auto selects xp and then I have to cancel as it cant load as it isnt installed. Im not worried about hardware not working, since I upgraded this pc less than a year ago and everything should be fine on xp. So is there no way to upgrade this, so I dont lose all my files. Is there a way to hack the disk etc?
Old 04-10-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Of course its possible to hack the disc. Not recommended though. M$ are tightening up their security system. Its still easier to evade than, say, NWNs, but its still more hassle that its worth to use a stolen key. Its almost to the point I intend to buy a legit copy when I get the cash.

Anyway, if it is an image CD, which I think it will be with Dell, you cannot use it on a machine that isnt identical, not if you want to avoid problems. Most of them wont even install on a different machine.

If its an actual OS installation CD, you could do it, but you will get caught with the key and locked out of update (although most fixes can still be applied manualy).
Old 04-12-2004, 02:06 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Dell? Run away, hide in the closet.

DO NOT USE IT ON ANYTHING EXCEPT THE DELL!!!!!!!

You are dealing with stuff way beyond your young years should allow. This cd in question will allow you to install it on anything.(Read the super fine print) However, once you think you should be finished, and getting ready to run the new OS, it will want the Dell drivers disk, then it will tell you your hardware does not match the devices from the disk. Now you will have wasted all of this time, and energy for nothing. And if you accidentially went to NTFS, then you have lost everything!

your best bet is to just buy the plain old off the shelf full install.

NTFS cannot be beat. However, it is not backwards compatable with 98/SE, ME etc..

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:01 PM   #9
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Actually, I used my XP Home disc that came with my Dell Inspirion 2650 laptop to install that OS on my oldy-goldy 533Mghz HP Pavilion. I did this for purely scientific experimentation reasons only of course.

It worked fine and did not ask for any of the Dell Discs(of which I had a half dozen). Maybe thats a thing with older(or newer) Dell systems? Like the old HP restore discs?