Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2001, 12:33 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Today, when I was leaving for work, I caught a whiff of an odor that caught at my heart. It only took a few moments for me to realize that it was "Mock Orange" and that there were Mock Orange trees in the neighborhood.

With just a few sniffs, a rush of memories came back to me from my childhood; about playing under the mock orange trees that grew in Monroe, LA, my hometown, of chilly autumn days (Autumn is my favorite season), and of a carefree, happy feeling that all was right with the world.

Do smells affect you this way? What are some of your favorite smells? Other than the Mock Orange, I'd say:

the smell of wood smoke on a chilly autumn day
the scent of my wife
the aroma of a rose
the smell of sandalwood and cedar (I tend to like wood smells)
the scent of a new car
the fragrance of new flowers in the spring

just to name a few.

------------------
Old 09-06-2001, 12:35 PM   #2
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I know what you're talking about saz. What does it for me is vanilla. Especially when women wear vanilla perfume. I love it!

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-06-2001, 12:39 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Oh, I forgot about Vanilla! Good one, Milamber! Confederate Jasmine is another one that "gets" me, if you know what I mean.

I'm sure I'm going to be remembering QUITE a few more as time goes on!

------------------
Old 09-06-2001, 12:40 PM   #4
Vampire

Is it me or do all girls always have this sweet smell.

------------------
Old 09-06-2001, 12:41 PM   #5
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I am having a bit of trouble with this one as I have a bad cold and cannot smell ANYTHING right now, but I'd say
the smell of the ocean (salt water)
Cinnamon
the smell of baking bread
to name a few

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 09-06-2001, 12:44 PM   #6
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Pumpkin Pie.

Man I cant stand eating the stuff but it smells wonderfull. Reminds me off the whole Thanksgiving-Christmas season,and really gets you in tough with the season if it is that time of the season, fowllow?

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

The ranger looked @ the place out side of the elven town near the river, he looked near the rocks, then they showed the way ....

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Currently in service for the Red Wizards
Old 09-06-2001, 12:49 PM   #7
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Thanksgiving? Don't have it here. What is it again exactly?

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 09-06-2001, 12:50 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Oh, I follow, Grand-Ranger, I do! Sort of like a combo of pumpkins and cinnamon.

On those same lines (holiday odors), I'd say the smell of fresh Pine needles, and pine cones. NOT Pine-sol or those other disgusting cleaners with that faux smell to them, but the real thing.

Strangely enough, I don't like the smell of potpourri. I've never seen anyone do one that didn't end up overdoing it and having it be this cloying, nauseating scent. Maybe it's the whole schmucky idea of "potporri" that offends me, I dunno.

Oh, Avatar: It's not just you.

------------------
Old 09-06-2001, 12:54 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
Thanksgiving? Don't have it here. What is it again exactly?

Ooh, yeah, that's a toughie, Kaz, for a European. In the states, Thanksgiving is a rememberance of the first settlers who came here and their survival in a harsh environment. After they had survived their first harvest, they gave a feast to celebrate the bounty of the earth and their newly-won freedom.

Ostensibly that's what the holiday is supposed to represent. What it's degenerated into now is the beginning of the Christmas commercial "buying" season.

(I still enjoy watching the Macy's parade, though! Some things never change).

------------------
Old 09-06-2001, 01:13 PM   #10
Vampire

No offence Kaz, but I hate Ocean smell! It's salty and yuk! All pies are nice so I'll second that! Vahnilla beats Strawberry and Chocolate anyday.
But peace, tranquillity and fresh air smells the best.

------------------