Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2003, 07:26 AM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I really donīt understand that skill at all?

I mean, my fighter/weaponmaster has 3 in appraise and he gets a favorable meating with Aribeth.
My paladin with 5 in appraise and 18 in charisma gets a meesly unfavorable meating...HOW COME?
I canīt make sense in the way this functions...I mean paladin talking to another paladin should get a good appraise ( if its the same God - and it is ) and furthermore my fighter has a charisma of 9 - and my paladin rocks with 18

Could someone give me an explanation on that skill...I really hate using points on appraise if its just a loss

NO MATTER....DANG IT...primary attribute is NOT charisma...but intelligence DOH!

[ 12-10-2003, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Sparhawk ]
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:58 AM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

Additionally, Appraise is not used in the NWN OC (as far as I know) and even in SoU it's only used to determine prices of items you buy and sell. So yes, here it would indeed be a waste of points. Spend them on persuade to get more favourable results instead [img]smile.gif[/img]

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 02:16 PM   #3
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Legolas...it IS used in OC...But I suposse Uīre right...its not even a class skill for a paladin...and persuade IS heh heh...
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Old 12-10-2003, 02:54 PM   #4
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Yes indeed, the appraise skill does work in the OC. The crucial factor you are missing is that some characters are more plot driven for their pricing structure. In otherwords Aribeth thinks a lot of you and is favorable regardless of your skill. Likewise if you chat "properly" to the female smith in SOU at the beginning of the game she is also favorable regardless of the skill. By that same token however some characters will be plot driven to an unfavorable reaction. Again in SOU the Hafling gypsie merchant is always unfavorable untill the end of the "trip".

Without the skill the pricing structure really becomes brutal. 11 points in the skill will virtually always garner a favorable reaction from most merchants. Frankly with HOTU now there are SO MANY skills that the quantity of skill points distributed is no longer fair.. (designer's FUBAR'ed).
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

Tell me about it, the Bard has some 20 class skills but only get 4 skill points + Int modifier at level up, while the Rogue has one or two class skills more than the Bard but get 8 skill points per level up.

I've never bothered with Appraise much, just a few ranks here and there. You have so much money anyway.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:18 PM   #6
Sparhawk
Quintesson

*LOOOOOL* ScottG U really have a way with those words *ROFL* but I havenīt really played either SoU or HotU yet...am fighting my way through chapter two...Iīve had the game ever since release...but never did go beyond chpt.2 I am a manic restarter...donīt ask!
The last time I finally did come a long way in chpt. 2 ( well longer than b4 ) I got a nasty virus that forced me to make a format c: c on the HD...not a good thing...lost approx 4000 pics and 4 yrs of work in adobe...primarly due to my backup being flawed without my knowlegde DOH!

Lesson learned is that I will ALWAYS check my backups when Iīve made them!

Anyway...just finished a 15 hour stretch with NWN and now I am off to bed...

J.

"Unleash the Casey!"