Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM   #11
Epona
Zartan

When I first started seeing my bloke, a mate (female) commented that he was 'a bit of a hunk', and another said he was good looking. I was quite chuffed. There was nothing threatening about the way they said it at all, just complimenting me on my pulling abilities
Depends on context.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:59 AM   #12
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Yes, depends on context and how they say it. Both men and women will comment to me that my wife is pretty. Done right, it's fine. Also, I agree that stating it once is quite different that twice or thrice. And, I also agree that it depends on who it's coming from.

On the flip side, I have had occassion where a guy was commenting on her attractiveness in a slightly inappropriate way - and I just had to smile knowing he had not a snowball's chance in hell. My theory - go ahead, see if I care whether or not you covet what you can't have.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:06 AM   #13
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Solely depends on your partner.

As my friend said, "Take it one step at a time."

My not-quite-yet girl is an attractie one, and popular (sheesh i'm bragging). anyway i know you get thee picture on where guys also like her and all that... basically i would be complimented, but insecurities will arise inevitably, but then she should reassure me or something related to that.

trust my friend... is the main word...

i don't know with your friends, but mine are hands-off with her... newly found friends are harder to manage... and well... it's up to her to shoo them away if they do 'hit' on her...

my two cents... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 10:06 AM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Yes, depends on context and how they say it. Both men and women will comment to me that my wife is pretty. Done right, it's fine. Also, I agree that stating it once is quite different that twice or thrice. And, I also agree that it depends on who it's coming from.

On the flip side, I have had occassion where a guy was commenting on her attractiveness in a slightly inappropriate way - and I just had to smile knowing he had not a snowball's chance in hell. My theory - go ahead, see if I care whether or not you covet what you can't have.
the councilor has spoken.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:13 AM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Well, as most people have said, it does depend alot on what is said, how it's said and how often it's said!

I've had friends compliment my fiancee or tell me we look 'nice together' but I imagine if one repeatedly said such things about my fiancee I'd wonder what was up. I wouldn't have a worry in the world that it would lead to anything, because he and I have a trusting, solid foundation for the relationship, but again, as most people have pointed out, a good friend isn't likely to keep on complimenting your significant other and anyone else should only do so once or in special circumstances. For instance if he happens to be wearing a new shirt or something and she notices he looks good in it that day, I wouldn't think it was 'hitting on him' but rather a flattering comment of the moment.

Now, if someone were to say it in a more provocative way or often enough to get attention, sure, I'd be a little put out, but again, like Timber, I'd be thinking, "HA, have fun, you aren't gonna get anywhere" Or something like that! LOL!
Old 01-07-2003, 12:02 PM   #16
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Having some problems Yorrick ?
Not really. When I was married I often had people comment on my wifes attractiveness. I didn't feel insecure, just kind of complimented for her. (She was my 'other half').

However, I have had a friend whose girlfriend I commented on, start feeling insecure. It exacerbated some problems they were already having.

Like you said, Moiraine, if I WAS after her, I wouldn't be telling HIM! At the time I had a girl of my own. Regardless, I don't "cut friends grass".

Anyhow thanks for your comments. Context is everything isn't it. It depends on where you're at, where your friend is at, where the girlfriend is at, the levels of trust between the parties.

Cheers guys. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-07-2003, 02:43 PM   #17
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I think it depends on how they tell you... If they say "You're a lucky man" isn't worthy of any harm while "Gosh your Wife is Hot!" is a little iffy and "Hey is she available this Tuesday?" Is when you should feel threatened [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 02:54 PM   #18
ElricMorlockin
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
[QB]What would your reaction be if a good friend of yours commented on the attractiveness of your partner?
Flattered. I have always taken these kind of compliments as one to myself as well. After all, if she is with me, she has great taste! LOL (damnit I got to take the time to figure out all the smileys here.... the one with eyes rolling at my last comment would have been perfect!).
Put it this way Yorick ( do I have to call you that? You have more nicknames than Carter has peanuts).... where was I? Oh yes... put it this way Yorick, if you have anything to worry about your "friend" or your "girlfriend" dump them both. Life's to short for unimportant B.S. and people.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:59 PM   #19
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
However, I have had a friend whose girlfriend I commented on, start feeling insecure. It exacerbated some problems they were already having.
Damn blue eyed,long haired rockstars with accents get all the girls!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 03:05 PM   #20
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ElricMorlockin:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
[QB]What would your reaction be if a good friend of yours commented on the attractiveness of your partner?
Flattered. I have always taken these kind of compliments as one to myself as well. After all, if she is with me, she has great taste! LOL (damnit I got to take the time to figure out all the smileys here.... the one with eyes rolling at my last comment would have been perfect!).
Put it this way Yorick ( do I have to call you that? You have more nicknames than Carter has peanuts).... where was I? Oh yes... put it this way Yorick, if you have anything to worry about your "friend" or your "girlfriend" dump them both. Life's to short for unimportant B.S. and people.
[/QUOTE]Go to the "Graphics Library" up at the top and click on the button, you'll find several PAGES of smileys!