Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2002, 05:31 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Another interesting tidbit from Chase's Calendar of Events

VESPUCCI, AMERIGO: BIRTH ANNIVERSARY

Mar 9, 1451

Italian navigator, merchant and explorer for whom the Americas were named. Born at Florence, Italy. He participated in at least two expeditions between 1499 and 1502 which took him to the coast of South America, where he discovered the Amazon and Plata rivers. Vespucci's expeditions were of great importance because he believed that he had discovered a new continent, not just a new route to the Orient. Neither Vespucci nor his exploits achieved the fame of Columbus, but the New World was to be named for Amerigo Vespucci by an obscure German geographer and mapmaker, Martin Waldseemuller. Ironically, in his work as an outfitter of ships, Vespucci had been personally acquainted with Christopher Columbus. Vespucci died at Seville, Spain, Feb 22, 1512.

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]

Old 03-09-2002, 06:14 PM   #2
Moiraine
Anubis

I knew that ! [img]smile.gif[/img] I think he landed on an island very near America but a bit east, and thought he was on the mainland !

Now, if the guy had been named Zebulon, you would be Zebulonians now ... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ... or maybe Zebulonicans ?
Old 03-09-2002, 06:20 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The German cartographer could have named the continents the Vespuccia's!
Old 03-09-2002, 06:39 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
I knew that ! [img]smile.gif[/img] I think he landed on an island very near America but a bit east, and thought he was on the mainland !

Now, if the guy had been named Zebulon, you would be Zebulonians now ... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ... or maybe Zebulonicans ?

Theres a mountain overlooking Colorado Springs Colorado named after Zebulon though....Zebulon Pike-Pikes Peak! And he wasnt the first to see it obviously, and he never climbed it either! So why did they name the mountain after him? I ummm forget actually but oh well
Old 03-10-2002, 12:07 AM   #5
Moni

Very Good RonnBman!
Now, can you tell us where the music for the "Star Spangled Banner" came from?

Old 03-10-2002, 12:13 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

If I remember rightly, Moni, the music for the S.S.B. was swiped by Francis Scott Key from an English drinking song that was popular in the late 18th century. (I guess to hit all those notes, one would have had to be drunk!)

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 03-10-2002, 12:25 AM   #7
Moni

yeppers LOL

Old 03-10-2002, 01:16 AM   #8
Ares

I seem to remember from my American Studies class that some sort of patriotic song came from the siege on a fort in Southern America during the Revolutionary War...can remember the name of the song (maybe SSB?) or the fort, but some soldier or writer wrote the song using the beat from an English song...confused yet? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2002, 08:38 AM   #9
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

The song that Francis Scott Key used for the music was "To Anacreon in Heaven," a popular drinking song of the day, as Sazerac says.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:06 AM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The scary thing is most people can hardly sing the Star Spangled Banner sober. I'd hate to hear a drunken crowd trying to hit those notes in the drinking song...lol.