Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2003, 02:57 AM   #1
Pangur Ban

Arrow

Finally got my new PC, and spent most of yesterday configuring it and loading up software.

Now when I start it up, a window called "Program" pops up. I think this happens when a program install didn't work properly, and the PC is hunting for something it can't find. ( I checked that the option to re-start XP with any open windows on shutdown re-opened on startup was disabled )

Any suggestions on the best way of tracking down and fixing this? This is my first taste of XP, I'm not sure I want to try out the "system restore" option, I don't know much about this yet. I'd prefer not re-do the hours I spent in setting everything up. [img]graemlins/cat3.gif[/img]

System specs:
Pentium 4, 2.8
2 Gig DDR2700 RAM
DVD ROM
120 Gig HD
Asus FX5600 Ultra
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Windows XP Home

TIA ( Thanks in advance !! ) Pang.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:06 AM   #2
Faceman
Hathor

Looks to me lika a bad registry entry. Either an installation has gone awry or some nasty error has tampered with either the prog or the registry. Do you have Norton WinDoctor? It's quite good at fixing these things.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:11 AM   #3
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
Looks to me lika a bad registry entry. Either an installation has gone awry or some nasty error has tampered with either the prog or the registry. Do you have Norton WinDoctor? It's quite good at fixing these things.
No, don't have Norton Windoctor ( well, not yet, anyway !! )
Old 06-10-2003, 07:43 AM   #4
Zero Alpha

Hours of setting things up? y'mean you cant do it in 30 seconds?

but seriously, Start->Run->msconfig
you can find the startup entry that isnt working and disable it.

also check your startup folder. it could so easily be a batch file that starts a non existant program