Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2001, 02:24 PM   #21
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:

Asheville is one of my favorite cities in the world. Nestled in a valley in western North Carolina, ringed by mountains, Asheville has an unusally diverse population for a small city, where new age environmentalist pagans and witches freely mix with old style southern christian fundamentalists. Art and music enjoy prominence in Asheville, there is often a festival like atmosphere, and the city boasts quite a few high quality microbreweries. Some of my favorite beers are produced there. It's a really cool place.

I live about a one hour drive from there.
Somewhere nestled snug in those mountains (east of Ashville if I remember correctly) is an ancient graveyard wherein lie my ancestors from my father's father's side of the family. They used to own most of the surrounding mountains and valleys way back when and when I last visited there (just over twenty five years ago) some of the country (a road, a creek, and a valley) still bore their name with the locals. One of my aunt's still has a home up in one of those mountains, complete with a smokehouse that I remember being filled with salt pork (ICK) at the time I visited.

------------------

Old 08-13-2001, 06:29 PM   #22
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:

Ha! Lou Holtz and the Gamecocks are going to beat the Vols this year! And Florida too! USC will win the conference! Damn straight!

*after boasting, slinks back into a corner and begins prayer begging for favor from the football gods: "please, please, we have to beat the evil orange machine some time, this year would be good . . . pretty please with sugar on top*

Btw, thanks for the greeting Sir Taliesin. You people here at IW sure make a guy feel welcome

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 08-13-2001).]
If we get by Florida KATIE BAR THE DOOR!!! We'll win the National Championship(We hope. He mutters under his breath)! Actually, We have one of the hardest schedules in the country. We don't have any patsies this year until Kentucky and Vanderbilt (which always give us fits), in November.

In the spirit of good sportsmenship, I'll wish you good luck. (But we're goin' to kick your butts all over the field!)

GO BIG ORANGE!!!

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Old 08-14-2001, 12:43 AM   #23
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Harkoliar, Zor, thank you my friend That means a lot. I'm glad you're still hanging around mate. I swear I'll get out to your archipelago eventually.

Citizens of Dixie, it's amazing that you can be speaking of such things and I actually know what you're talking about. Vanderbilt, Big Orange etc are no longer just abstract names mentioned by faraway Americans, but places I've in some cases walked past.

Indeed Pumkintown and Asheville sound like funky spots. I have a friend who just moved to Knoxville from here too. *Adds information to decision making scales*

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-14-2001, 05:02 AM   #24
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

whoo hoo!! im glad someone remembers me.. i havent been around for a while and ive just dropped by to see how you guys are doing . just tell me when your coming over here to my country Yorick . and ill make sure ill let you know the best places around here... well ill try... ill have to check the brochiore first lol

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 08-14-2001, 05:29 AM   #25
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:

Lol -- sorry to disappoint you, Donut, but Pumpkintown doesn't even deserve the name "town." It is a tiny crossroads community consisting of a general store, a few houses, and the remains of a gas station that burned down 3 years ago.

Damn, I had got the choice down to two places, Pumpkintown and Las Vegas
Perhaps I can try the Pumpkintown in North Carolina!

I have great memories of my visit to Asheville. I arrived during a basketball tournament and the place was really kicking. I had my first taste of Killian's Red Beer and also had my first and probably last experience of line dancing , I'd only been in the place for five minutes before I was dragged up to dance. East Tennessee won the championship and I became an honorary Buccaneers fan. Go Bucs!

I've been to North Carolina as well, Rocky Mount. I was there during St Patrick's day, all of the waitresses in the hotel wore green T-shirts with shamrocks on them and had badges with Irish names like: Coleen, Sinead, Siobhan. It was a strange experience because they were all black with southern accents. In fact I didn't meet any Irish people there (except a guy from Boston - does that count?)

Yorick - I have another place that you might consider - Athens, Georgia, Home of REM, The B-52's and the Georgia Bulldogs. It's a University town and the music there is great.

And then there's Savannah GA, St Augustine Fla, New Orleans LA........etc, etc.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 08-14-2001, 06:04 AM   #26
Donut
Jack Burton

Yorick - as you are musically minded you should try to visit the following:

Tuba City, Ariz.
Organ, N.M.
Drum, Mo
Harp, Calif
Music, K.Y.
Viola, Ore.
Sax, Minn.
Note, Ga.
Piano, Iowa
or Rollingstone, Minn..

------------------

Old 08-14-2001, 09:32 AM   #27
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

And then there's Savannah GA, St Augustine Fla, New Orleans LA........etc, etc.

One of those etc.'s most definitely is Charleston, SC. Awesome place. Did you get a chance to visit there, Donut?
Old 08-14-2001, 10:14 AM   #28
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
One of those etc.'s most definitely is Charleston, SC. Awesome place. Did you get a chance to visit there, Donut?
One night only - so I didn't really get a feel for the place. I remember the horse drawn buggies and the Charleston Market.

------------------

Old 08-14-2001, 01:28 PM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Donut those are pretty funny names mate. It's also interesting that the Georgia alone has an Athens, Smyrna, Atlanta, Rome and Augusta from Greco-Roman tradition.

Harkoliar, how could I forget?

Remember Angry lil'man?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-15-2001, 05:31 AM   #30
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

how could i forget, the one of the major battles that shook the board here before...

how i remember when we Memnoch, Rikard, Ertai, You, and a few others joined hand in hand (well keyboard by keyboard) to face a threat that was threatining our very beliefs in this forum lol i make it sound like an epic grand battle of the forums history

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...