Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2001, 06:19 PM   #11
Moni

Conan,
You are very welcome.

Djinn Raffo,
If you purchase anything online I can supply you with links to some really unique hand-blown glass feeders.

I just found through a search that Wal-Mart carries a book "The Hummingbird Book" for 15.99 and gives this online description~ "This comprehensive and colorful book on hummingbird anatomy and physiology, behavior, geographic territory, migration, and eating habits includes a uniquely crafted feeder."
It gives no clue as to what kind of feeder it is though. Chances are it is plastic but if you ever frequent or drive by a Wal-Mart, you might want to check it out.

Since I am not finding any illustrations on any sites for popular stores, I'll just keep my eyes open whenever we are in the city.

Moni

------------------

Old 07-25-2001, 06:25 PM   #12
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by adam warlock:
very good idea but there's a slight problem:
If left out for over a week, the water will go moldy...

so I would recommend to cut the recipe in half

You are correct, Adam. Excess can be stored in the refrigerator so that you can rinse out and refill the feeder without having to make a batch every time you need to. I use the halved recipe and keep the excess in a half gallon plastic drink container in the 'fridge so that every other time I refill the feeder I know to make another batch, that way the feeder never remains empty.
When I lived in AZ, the hummingbirds emptied their feeder about every three or four days.

Moni

------------------

Old 07-25-2001, 06:39 PM   #13
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Thanks Moni for the recipe. Never heard of using vanilla, but will definitely try it. I had a hummingbird feeder out this spring, but didn't get any hummingbirds. Last year, I had several. I just love those little birds. My hummingbird feeder is the red plastic, but the bottle is glass.

------------------
Old 07-25-2001, 11:02 PM   #14
Moni

You are welcome Lady Avalon!

I put a feeder out myself this spring (a full fledged plastic piece of crap ) but never saw a hummingbird until the half gallon of sweet stuff went bad in the sun (two attempts to fill it and lure one over).
Weeks after I took it in, cleaned it out, and put it away, a female stopped by to taste of our Queen's Crown blossoms. She is one of the two I saw hanging out in the yard behind out back yard. I will have to make accomadations to hang one out back so that when the annuals die off, they are not left with nothing.
I hate to see hungry birds. The ones you see in grocery store parking lots looking for scraps get to me the worst, esp knowing that before all these lots were paved over, birds had plenty to eat. Nowadays, a large portion of them depend on us to buy the seed that used to fall freely to the ground in order for them to eat as well.
It breaks my heart to see them but I do what I can, keeping 2 feeders hanging out back that get emptied every day.

Moni

------------------

Old 07-25-2001, 11:23 PM   #15
CyberPixie

My parents have six hummingbird feeders in their flower garden, and I know that all of them are the nice glass ones. I will ask them where they ordered them from and post it here if anyone is interested. I did pass along the recipe your provided, Moni...I think they'll like it, considering how expensive the stuff you buy in the store is! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Old 07-25-2001, 11:53 PM   #16
Moni

You are very welcome Cyber Pixie and thank you for passing it on! I think they will notice a big difference in the hummingbirds love of the stuff.

I would love to know where to buy glass feeders if you know of any larger retail chains that we might have in common in our cities that carry them!

Moni

------------------

Old 08-11-2001, 12:35 AM   #17
Moni

Bump