Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 05:14 AM   #41
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
Mr. Mopery, I was actually very pleased with the part about them landing the piece of the ship on that 12 mile long runway...it showed that Lucas put some thought into what kind of structures the planet of Coruscant, in order to protect it citizens, would HAVE to have...

Huh? How could this have been a necessary protective measure? It's not like you can point (half of) a crashing ship in the direction of a runway. I'll concede the idea that Anakin is supposed to be 'the best pilot'. But if he's the best, what about the rest? How would they crash in just the right way--enter the atmosphere at the right angle, manage (without being able to turn) to land in the exact direction of a runway?

All spacecraft take off vertically, right? And this episode took pains to add the scenes with mid-atmosphere traffic filling the skies of the planet. So the presence of a long runway like that seems anachronistic and added just to advance the plot. I agree that there would need to be safety measures, but a long, straight runway isn't going to help an out of control ball of flaming metal entering from an undetermined point in the atmosphere. Unless they had hundreds of thousands of such runways, but the planet seems pretty packed and I'd imagine real estate is expensive...

Too logical for a Star Wars movie, I know.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:40 AM   #42
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I have nothing more to say about episode III than:
The best movie I have ever seen in my life
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #43
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Saw it yesterday, and WOW, great ending to the three. I mean, action out the ass! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Come on Lucas, make 7 8 and 9. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I mean, look at the world record money this pulled in on a THURSDAY! People love this stuff!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #44
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Well, that's the part you have to stretch for, Mr. Mopery...so I just have to say large tractor beam projectors...I know it's a bit of a cop-out...

SPOILER (though we've already been giving them anyway)
Salinye...there really hasn't been any explanation to my knowledge about the possibilities for Darth Plagas to have created Anakin...though it's certainly possible.

The (previously) accepted thing was that Anakin was conceived by the Force itself, as the one that would bring balance....Hard to say if we're really supposed to believe that or not, really, but the possibility occurred to me too. Likely Darth Sidious killed Darth Plagas long before Anakin's birth, considering Sidious' age...

Oh, and Z, I say let Spielberg direct 7,8, and 9. He did pretty well on The Empire Strikes Back, after all.

Of course, let Lucas be the producer or something...but he shouldn't be allowed to direct the acting!

[ 05-22-2005, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Ilander ]

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:02 PM   #45
Link
Jack Burton

Just remembered that funniest part of the movie was most definitely R2-D2 attacking the Superbattle Droid with his stun-gun-thingy and the droid kicking him around for that. 'twas pretty funny if you ask me.

In the conversation between Palpatine and Anakin in the theatre, I thought Palpatine hinted at two things;
1) Anakin was in fact conceived by Darth Plageas. This means that the Sith (possibly) knew about the Jedi Prophecy and turned their belief in a messias against them. If true, it's one hell of a plan to get back on the top.
2) Palpatine was Plageas apprentice and thus responsible for his murder. I don't know if this is true, but I certainly got that feeling when Palpatine told Anakin about it (not in his wording but more through the acting of Ian McDiarmid).

Star Wars 7, 8 and 9? Dunno about that. Money should not be the issue to film these three sequels. It probably will be, though.

Oh -- am I the only one with such an ammount of criticism? All of you guys (and girls) just mention that you liked the movie a lot. I had expected a lot more reactions against my points, possibly even some well-put refutals. Kick my butt already for not knowing my Star Wars-stuff!

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #46
Sigmar
Unicorn

Episode 1- I watched it, I didn't like it.
Episode 2-I couldn't watch the whole thing, it bored me.
Episode 3-Amazing. I loved it.

It was very, very, very good.

My faith in Star Wars is restored. Well done Mr Lucas, well done.
Sigmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #47
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
I had expected a lot more reactions
Well, the only thing I remember not liking was the part where Darth Vader broke out of the operation table and screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" I thought that was pretty lame, but I really couldn't find much wrong witht eh rest of it
Old 05-22-2005, 10:40 PM   #48
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Well, since you ask for it Link Here's a good natured explanation of why you're wrong or mistaken (haha!)

1)Anakin beat Dooku relatively easily for a couple of reasons. Dooku had probably been told by Sidious/Palpatine not to damage Skywalker is one explanation. Another is that lightsaber battles are not often won purely by speed. A Jedi, using the Force, will conserve his/her energy, blocking as necessary and using the Force to uncover an opening in the opponents attacks. If Anakin has increased his control of the Force, then he would indeed not need to fight as fast.

2)Palpatine was a cocky, evil B&^%(^d, bent upon the destruction of the Jedi more than the turning of Anakin. He revealed himself at a time when many of the Jedi were off world so that he could more easily defeat the Jedi stronghold on Coruscant. The man thought steps and steps and steps ahead of his enemies, so it's perfectly reasonable to say that Palpatine only revealed himself to draw the Jedi out and destroy them.

3)The "NOOOOOO" part was melodrama mixed with bad writing, and we just have to live with it.

4)Kashyyk was shown because it is a Star Wars tradition to keep up with all of the characters...and Yoda was a main character.

5)The rise of Palpatine did not happen in this movie...it was carefully orchestrated in the backgrounds of Episode I and II.

That enough? Satisfied? I can go on [img]graemlins/kidding.gif[/img]

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:08 AM   #49
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I saw it, and I am duly appreciative of it. Rain hated the first one due to Jar Jar, thought the second was good, and LOVED this one. From a non-SW geek, that's a heck of an endorsement. We went to a clown's birthday party this weekend, and she happily discussed the movie AT LENGTH with all the geekhood present there.

Personally, I think this was the best flick since Empire. I would rate it 2nd in overall quality behind Empire, but A New Hope gets props for being the genesis of it all, and I don't want to ignore that.

Technology-wise this was by far the most ambitious movie -- and it was well executed. The only part that did not look as convincing visually was some of the Mustafar stuff, which was done by superimposing images over a filmed eruption on Mt. Etna. Perhaps, as one critic indicated, this was merely the result of being too ambitious with the technology. Ep. I was a landmark for the number of troops on-scene at one time. LOTR's "massive" program enabled LOTR to also accomplish these goals, but Lucas was first. AoTC saw the addition of numerous Jedi on-scene at once, fighting for the first time in concert. This movie superceded even that.

SPOILERS FOLLOW!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding Portman's acting, I think she was limited by the script. Plus, we didn't get to see a lot of it. I remember with Ep II he cut like 5 portman/Ani scenes that are in the "deleted scenes" section on the disk. Out of all that got over-filmed and subsequently cut, the romance thread is most prominent in the movies.

The fight in the Senate chamber was way cool. Sidious had his own flippityness to combat the ever-flippity Yoda.

I still have no problem with Obi beating Grievous. Grievous was NOT FORCE SENSITIVE. When 2 jedi fight, they sense the next moves and anticipate. Obi could do that to Grievous, but Grievous had no such capability to do likewise.

I did not like the "I have the higher ground- you can't win" bit at the end. It was in the video game, and I'd hoped it was changed, but there it is. I was like "Hey, Ben old boy, exactly HOW did you kill Darth Maul?" Regardless, Obi is my favorite character of the 6 movies now, bar none. I even liked his Dick Tracy investigation in AotC. And, he did leave Ani really gimped out.

Did anyone else think it was stupid to "Vaderize" Ani without first putting him in Bacta to get rid of the charred flesh and nastiness?

Mace Windu's death was waaay cool. He go bizzatch-slapped.

Speaking of which, all Palps had to do to avoid his own mutilation was QUIT FIRING THE FORCE LIGHTNING. Or, did he plan that? Could anyone WANT such a visage?

Why did Ani never confirm his understanding that Palps controlled both sides of the war? He certainly knew of this after the Trade Federation folks spoke of Palp's "promise" to them. I just wanted him to acknowledge it, and then make a choice, based on whatever reason. But, it was glossed over.

Yes, the battle droid boot-kicking R2 was a really funny moment. [img]graemlins/1drinkspit.gif[/img]

Regarding C3PO's mind wipe, now we know how R2 knew where to head to find Ben in Ep IV -- even though the Jawas stopped him.

Speaking of which, where did R2's bouncing out of the starships and jet flying disappear to between the two trilogies????

Interesting notion that Darth Plageus created Ani. It does not defy the prophecy, which would of course come true despite Sith meddling. Of course, we don't KNOW that Plageus was Palp's master. He could have been, but Palps could have discovered Sith knowledge of the tale elsewhere, among Sith artifacts. I have heard it mentioned that Palps was self-taught.

Note that the prophecy was true, and Ani did in fact bring balance to the force -- in Ep. VI.

Ani beating Dooku was not silly in the least. Having 3 years of combat training and further mentoring, he of course could have doubled in power. Between Ep. II and III he became, by Obi's own admission, a greater power than Obi.

I do love how it was the evil to be found in insecurity, envy, anger, etc. that led Ani down the dark path. He was in an unwinnable situation, and had a personality that was easy for Palps to manipulate. Between being so old when he started training, being so full of tragic flaws, and being thrust in the middle of the Senate/Jedi conflict, he was doomed from the outset.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:25 AM   #50
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Speaking of which, all Palps had to do to avoid his own mutilation was QUIT FIRING THE FORCE LIGHTNING. Or, did he plan that? Could anyone WANT such a visage?
A:Windu would have arrested him or killed him.

B:With a disfigured face, it was easy for him to make Windu and the Jedi look like they were at fault and help him gain favour of the people.

Well, that's what i think anyway's......

[ 05-23-2005, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]