Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 12:25 AM   #111
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

While I think Dron-Cah answered your questions okay, I'd like the chance to address them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
I got questions. YAY!

Why did Sidius choose to rescue Anakin? He said something about " I sense Vader is in a grave danger ". However he didn't go and rescue Darth Maul or Count Dooku? Is it because of this choose one thing?
Sidious believes in the prophecy that Anakin is the strongest and wants to harness his power. He references Anakin, not himself, when he tells Yoda which Jedi will be the most powerful in the galaxy. If you don't get the notion he's the strongest from RotS from his smarmy ways with Obi, then maybe playing the video game would make it clearer. He knows he out-performs Obi, and he knows he's powerful. He's whiny and immature too -- the fatal flaws.
Quote:
Another thing, In Episode 2 when the bounty hunter fire his flamethrower at Mace Windu and caused him to fall down. He is able to land on his feet safely down at the arena. In episode 3 he doesn't seem to be able to do so after Sidius fired his lightning at him? Why ?
Well, he'd been zapped to heck and back, which has through all the movies decreased the victim's ability to perform (even with Sidious at the end of RotJ). As well, as Dron Cah said, we are dealing with thousands of feet (plus additional lightning), not a hundred.
[
Quote:
Also, How come Darth Vader couldn't perform the lightning attack? Same as Darth Maul? But Sidius and Count Dooku is able to do that?
According to the video game, Vader CAN. Ani's force stun ability switces to force lightning mid-game. I think he prefers choke-a-bitch instead. NOTE that a lightsaber can BLOCk the force lightning, as seen with Mace when Palps is electrifying his bad self, and as seen with any character in the video games.
Quote:
Also how come Yoda seem to struggle to fight with Sidius but Mace Windu nearly defeat him if it wasn't for Anakin intervention? Is Mace Windu is stronger than Yoda?
I don't know for sure that Palps was Toying with Mace, as some suggest, maybe... maybe not. Regardless, Yoda was doing well vs. Sidious, but found himself disadvantaged by the appearance of the clone army to save Palps. Otherwise, he may have retrieved his little green phallic rod and continued the fight. With impending clone troopers coming into the Senate chamber, though, he knew that particular fight was finished.
Quote:
How come none of the Jedi sense or detect that Palpatine is Darth Sidius?
In ALL the movies, a Jedi can only sense the presences he knows to look for. Darth Vader cannot sense Luke until he first sees that little kid with Obi on the Death Star -- and the Emporer still can't sense him, for he hasn't seen him. Vader gets better and better at sensing Luke through Eps V and VI. Even in his throne room, Palps cannot sense Luke when Vader (who had encountered him twice) can -- "I have FELT him" .... "Strange that I have not." The same appears to be true for Leia -- only after searching Luke's mind and learning of her existence can Vader and Sidious attempt to plan for her existence.
Quote:
Annoying? I stop now.
No! Not at all annoying! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 06-09-2005, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 AM   #112
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
yea... but with CG you expect newer movies to raise the bar. The newest Star Wars is what... a year and a half newer than RotK, I guess I expected something new.

I think Lucas went for quantity over quality, and PJ focused on quality. Not that there weren't a TON of CG shots in the LotR trilogy, but EP3 was wall to wall CG... and maybe that meant he didn't have the time or budget to do REALLY high quality CG (like a Gollum level character)
Ep. I, the hated Jar-Jar movie, had more CG screens than had ever been done before -- topped off with the Droids vs. Gungans crap at the end that everyone hated. Ep. II had hundreds of jedi w/ lightsabers on the screen at once, fighting in concert, which had never been done before. The battle for Geonosis was another landmark. Ep. III took it to the next level, with all the clone and droid CGI. In the meantime, programs like MASSIVE (used in the LOTR movies) had also come onto the scene for man-on-man combat -- and they were a better product. HOWEVER, the scene above Coruscant (with its thin atmosphere) were the first time a space battle of that magnitude had been shown -- and it was shown WELL.

Also, don't forget that, while it looked to be too heavy and obvious on the CGI, the battle on Mustafar was filmed over an eruption of Mt. Etna. This was another landmark -- and perhaps Lucas & Co. over-reached on this one. But, at least he's pushing the bounds of new technology.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:37 AM   #113
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
Now I liked almost every star wars, and since I'm a geek I was definitely into the special effects... but I gotta say one thing:

Peter Jackson's Gollum was a thousand light years better than Yoda. Just watched RotK again last night... and I'm still BLOWN AWAY by how realistic they made that character, Yoda looks like... well... a bad x-box character in comparison.
I gotta opine that Yoda was not only better, he was less annoying. Those gollum scenes at the end of TTT, complete with his schizo moments, annoy me no matter how often I watch them on the EE DVD. Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE the LOTR movies, but gollum can't stand up a bit to Yoda's bizzatch-ness.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #114
Thoran
Galvatron

Well I was just considering the CG quality itself, and watching the virtually infinite (and realistic) range of expression in gollums face is pretty darn impressive. The only think that wasn't quite right was his hair, it didn't QUITE move realistically... close... but not quite there. Yoda had FAR less range of expression (or at least the performance did) and what was there was about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face... and while he had hair... it didn't move at all or moved very little (safe way to go).

Character wise I think both Gollum and Yoda had their cheeze moments. With Yoda I have to agree with one of the reviews I read, his annoyance is in the tortured dialog... "a prophecy that misread might have been". I know that's how Yoda is supposed to be but DAMN! Gollum's character isn't particularly likeable, while EVERYONE loves Yoda. There certainly (IMO) is a lot more to Gollum as a character than Yoda. Yoda is the prototypical hero/mentor. He fits the definition of the good guy perfectly. Gollum is the bad guy but his character doesn't quite fit that mold, Tolkien did a good job of sticking with the Epic Fantasy form and yet making his characters a bit deeper than the standard pure good/pure evil formula.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #115
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

BTW, regarding Yoda-speak, a friend of mine who is not really a SW fan saw the movie, liked it, and had this to say about Yoda: he puts the important words of the sentence up front, and throws the less important words to the end.

I agree Gollum was more complex -- he was schizo, after all, and was at least 2 people. As for subtle, it is gollum's lack of subtlety and cartooniness that drove me crazy -- especially since it was so out of place in the LOTR world.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #116
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
BTW, regarding Yoda-speak, a friend of mine who is not really a SW fan saw the movie, liked it, and had this to say about Yoda: he puts the important words of the sentence up front, and throws the less important words to the end.
good point... now I've got to rewatch all the yoda scenes.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #117
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I thought he just flipped what we would normally put first, last. Talk like this, he must. (he must talk like this.) You get the idea.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #118
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

No, get it, I do not.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:42 PM   #119
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

Did you know that they were thinking of making some New Republic movies? Except that they arnt going to be made by Lucas, theyre going to be made by Fox.That sucks monkey!

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:05 PM   #120
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I'm sure we can be assured that Star Wars products will be made by LucasFilm once Lucas steps off the helm.