Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2002, 10:32 PM   #11
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
The Pentagon has no business doing this! QUOTE]

They make the rules they bend and brake the rules, tell me something i don't know! It's legal as long as they're the ones doing it and not terrorists...
Old 11-21-2002, 11:09 PM   #12
Chewbacca
Zartan

The pentagon will "share" this database with law enforcement. The other day the undersecretary of defense went to great lengths to describe the database as a tool for law enforcement. I doubt any of us here have facts about how and when the data will be handled, accessed and shared because this project is very much in the development phase. The hack/spy theory is inconclusive at this point. Other issues loom larger.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:42 AM   #13
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Can you name any person that has ever successfully hacked NSA? or any of the 1000 most secure servers in the security net?

Security when done right is effective.
I remember a couple of years ago some Croatian kids (about 14) hacked into emm, was it CIA or Pentagon? I can't remember. I remember it was all over the news... Everybody always said it could not be done, and then 14-year-olds did it.

Edit: I tried to find a couple of sites, but none of the news sites had anything about it (I guess because it happened in 1997)... But I found some other sites. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs3604/lib....Break_in.html
http://www.securegovernment.com/s_victims.htm (last article)
Oh, it was the Pentagon and they were 15. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-22-2002, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: Spelca ]
Old 11-22-2002, 08:41 AM   #14
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
I remember a couple of years ago some Croatian kids (about 14) hacked into emm, was it CIA or Pentagon? I can't remember. I remember it was all over the news... Everybody always said it could not be done, and then 14-year-olds did it.

Yep I believe it was a Pentagon system, Pentagon is not NSA [img]smile.gif[/img] The systems for all government agencies that deal with truly secret information and above are not accessible from the internet or even other systems on the internet. [img]smile.gif[/img] There are a billion computers in US govt use that can be hacked, but the really good ones are not among those [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: I tried to find a couple of sites, but none of the news sites had anything about it (I guess because it happened in 1997)... But I found some other sites. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs3604/lib....Break_in.html
http://www.securegovernment.com/s_victims.htm (last article)
Oh, it was the Pentagon and they were 15. [img]smile.gif[/img]
A couple of years ago, I took a Systems Security class that was taught by an NSA employee who has in the past been part of the NSA security response team. He obviously couldn't tell us about the current issues but the things he could tell us were a gold mine for anyone who is interested in having a truely secure system. One of the reasons I love going to school in this area, is that we get a lot of NSA, Petagon, CIA and other govet. people as instructors.