Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2001, 11:44 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

You know, I don't know why I have to spend $230.00 for a nice bookcase. I mean, What is the deal? So I decided to build my own. I bought my material, and sawed, hammered, polished, etc., and now I have a beutiful 8 shelf bookcase for my Forgotten realms novels!...(I already filled up three and 1/2 shelves).
I am a happy man today!
Just wanted to share that with ya. Don't spend $230.00 on an item when you can build it for under $100.00 yourself. Lesson form the wise old Ancient...

------------------

Larry,
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Devoted member of the Ironworks
Only member of the Elite Bodyguard to Rikard (the fool that takes the bullet)
Ertai's back-up
Memnoch's chief look-out
Member of the Ancients club

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 06-02-2001).]
Old 06-02-2001, 11:45 PM   #2
Lady Nightshade
The Magister

kewl ! so post a pic of it

Old 06-02-2001, 11:47 PM   #3
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Very cool...

We want details !!!

What kind of wood? Did you design yourself, or use a plan from another source? What finish?

DETAILS !!!

------------------
Old 06-02-2001, 11:50 PM   #4
Moni

Congrats Larry!

I made a shelf for under my bedroom window which I am hoping to fill with plants. Cost a whole 5.00.

I also made window awnings recently, well I finished one of two so far...dark hunter green with cut-outs of lizards on them...very cute, VERY inexpensive, and lots of fun to do!

All Smiles For Ya,
Moni

------------------

Old 06-03-2001, 12:10 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeDawg:
Very cool...

We want details !!!

What kind of wood? Did you design yourself, or use a plan from another source? What finish?

DETAILS !!!

Sorry, I didn't think anyone would care! OAK, of course, was my selected wood. Next, after walking around and looking at pre-made ones, I knew how to set up a simple one. I then got some leaf-patterned trim to go around the top and sides to give it a fancier look. I bought those little shelf pins (that hold the shelf up, instead of nailing the shelves to the wall, so tht I can make changes to the shelf position if I desire. I currently hold eight shelves, which barely allow for a Forgotten Realms paperback. I have one shelf extra, not included. The shelf stands 'bout 71.5 inches tall, and is about 36 inches wide.

------------------

Larry,
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Devoted member of the Ironworks
Only member of the Elite Bodyguard to Rikard (the fool that takes the bullet)
Ertai's back-up
Memnoch's chief look-out
Member of the Ancients club
Old 06-03-2001, 12:15 AM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oak? Wow, sounds lovely! Nothing like good wood! That bookshelf sounds wonderful, Larry! Pics would definitely be appreciated!

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 06-03-2001, 12:20 AM   #7
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Sounds nice...

Now, I take exception to the OAK comment...
My choice of wood is typically walnut....

------------------
Old 06-03-2001, 02:17 AM   #8
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Congrats Larry, great to see someone's labours achieving fruition. I must be decadent by comparison though. Two years ago, I looked all over for a huge bookcase to fill my 9 foot alcove. I wanted a real permanent furniture piece that had high shelves to take the good hardback collection. No one builds them that wide - typically 3,4 and the very occasional 5 foot version. In the end I got one custom made. I found a 5 foot one with partitions and offset shelving, and asked the builder to imagine cutting half a foot off one side, and then adding in the mirror image of the remaing 4 and a half feet. It cost me a bit ($400 in your US terminology), but it is custom built for my house. I was so taken with my design success, that I then went and designed (and commissioned) a TV/Video cabinet to fit my very awkward and ugly TV corner (all windows, plugs, aeriel outlets and angles). Now if I move, I will probably have to sell those pieces with the house, because they fit so well here, but won't necessarily travel well. My reward was in seeing the designs come to life.

------------------
Old 06-03-2001, 11:50 AM   #9
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Why buy one when you can make one out of magic? (tut tut - waster! )

Oh well - that's ancient for you.

j/k - well done Larry! This must've been quite a while with DIY for you right? Building something by hand and getting praised for it is just "true satisfaction"

Feel proud!

------------------

Greetings Mortals. My Name Is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.
Old 06-03-2001, 12:39 PM   #10
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Sorry, I didn't think anyone would care! OAK, of course, was my selected wood. Next, after walking around and looking at pre-made ones, I knew how to set up a simple one. I then got some leaf-patterned trim to go around the top and sides to give it a fancier look. I bought those little shelf pins (that hold the shelf up, instead of nailing the shelves to the wall, so tht I can make changes to the shelf position if I desire. I currently hold eight shelves, which barely allow for a Forgotten Realms paperback. I have one shelf extra, not included. The shelf stands 'bout 71.5 inches tall, and is about 36 inches wide.

Didn't think we would care?

Oh yeah....we want details. To echo Rude Dawgs question how did you finish it? Did you build the carcass and faceframe seperately or as one piece? I am willing to hear all the details you are willing to devulge right down to the types of joints you used.

As a parting comment....good for you! You spent less money building a piece that is probably much higher in quality than a lot of the press board garbage they sell out there. No offense intended to press board enthusiasts.

Anytime you want to talk projects, tools, or lumber let me know.

------------------

onthepequod