Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2002, 04:13 PM   #1
kirdie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Can i really do sneak attacks with any weapon? I mean wouldnt it be best just to give my rogue a 2h-spear or great sword ?? (if she has high strenght)
kirdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 04:50 PM   #2
robnhud
Welcomed New User

In theory, that would give you more damage ... however, you'd have to use a feat to offset the penalty for using such a weapon ... you could also give your rogue a level in fighter, which would take care of that problem ...
robnhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 04:58 PM   #3
Magness
Quintesson

My rogue with only moderate STR (14), but a high DEX (19) can regularly do 30-40 HP on a sneak attack with only a dagger.

There's no need for a Rogue to have a high STR. If you select the Weapons Finesse feat, you use DEX instead of STR to determine your melee to hit roll, but you can only use "small blades", ie. dagger or short sword. It may seem like a sacrifice to "only" use a dagger, but it's worth it to use DEX for to hit rolls. You then end up not needing a high STR. Save those character points for CON.

Quote:
Posted by me in a previous thread:

The 3rd ed "Sneak Attack" is much easier to execute than the old backstab. You don't NEED to be invisible or stealthed (doesn't hurt). You can simply have your rogue run around behind a foe and take a quick stab for a successful Sneak Attack. My rogue (level 12 rogue/level 2 fighter) is regularly hitting for 30-40 Hp during sneak attacks. I've found that SA works better in battles where the battle's being fought in a larger room or other open area. In tight confines, you could easily find yourself cut off.

Just be careful not to get your sneak attacking rogue cut off from the rest of your party.

The key to a combat worthy rogue lies in:
(A) maxing out your DEX. When you have the opportunity to increase your DEX thru items or during level ups, take it (unless you have another critical stat need).

(B) selecting good rogue specific feats: Improved Evasion, Crippling Strike (improved sneak attacks), and Weapon Finesse (attack roll based on DEX instead of STR when using small blades) for rogues are all nearly a must have feats.

(C) The Weapons Finesse feat requires the use of "small blades" (i.e. daggers or short swords). Rely on these for your rogue melee weapons, since as a Rogue, your DEX will likely be higher than your STR, thus creating a better Base Attack Bonus (BAB).

(D) Do not wear any armor heavier than studded leather. Sure, if you put feat points into heavier armor or MC in a level or 2 of fighter, you COULD wear heavier armor. But those heavier armors will limit your rogue skills and limit the amount of DEX bonus that's added to your AC. There are some good sets of studded leather out there that can crank up a Rogue's AC pretty nicely without limiting yor DEX bonus or rogue skills.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 05:29 PM   #4
kirdie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have chosen the weapon finesse feat and i am currently equipped with a small blade (thy dunags), i have 13str 22dex (lvl 4 fighter lvl 5 rogue lightfoot halfling) but in the weapon stats screen there is "damage potential 3-8" strength +1 ....
do i have to turn weapon finesse on?? if so i cant find it where rapid shot is...

ps: i use crossbow have 1 attack/round, turn rapid shot->on: still 1 per round... what's wrong??
kirdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 06:14 PM   #5
Magness
Quintesson

Sneak attack damage is normal damage +1d6 at level 1 and an additional 1d6 every 2 levels thereafter. On one of those info pages for your rogue there should be a listing for sneak attack damage. You don't have to turn on weapon finesse. It's always on. Don't worry about it. Just keep those daggers or short swords in your rogues hands and you'll be OK.

Can't help with your rapid shot question.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 07:22 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Does the 'hide' or 'move silently' ability make a difference then, whilst executing sneak attacks or I shouldn't bother no more?
Old 09-15-2002, 07:31 PM   #7
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

It says 1 but when you activate rapid shot you'll see that you're doing 2 attacks. And about weapon finesse I have a rogue/fighter too Str 14 Dex 18 Weapon Finesse is nice but it does not increase the damage you cause. with str 12 you get +1 damage. with str 16 you get +3. but dex is primary of course [img]smile.gif[/img] to be able to hit is more important than how much you hit..
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote