Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2002, 04:21 PM   #1
Debaser

*possible SPOILER*
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-I just took the quest from the Gold Dragon to kill Krauth the Ancient Red Dragon........basically, my PC now is an 8th level ranger/5th level rogue. I assume that the reason i keep on getting utterly creamed (even hopped up on potions and with Grimgnaw as a henchman) is that i am simply not of sufficient level to be fighting Krauth just yet.
I was wondering at what level other people fought and/or defeated the Red Dragon at? What level do you recommend as a minimum to even have hopes of killing him?
Old 09-04-2002, 05:43 PM   #2
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

I did it at level 14. Did you feed him the tainted dragon orb yet? If you haven't, then you

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

>

>

>

>

>
Explore the other caverns that are by Klauth's lair. When you find the one called "Dragon Chamber" then you are in the right place. When you get there, you have to fight a few Yuan-ti. Then go to the fountain and get the dragon orb out of it. Kill the Blue Dragon nearby, then place the dragon orb on the pedestal. Then take the tainted orb and feed it to Klauth. He will eat it, and will be instantly Badly Wounded with less spells, and it will be easier to beat him. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2002, 09:29 PM   #3
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

I beat him without the dragon orb trick. You need something that will protect you from fear. Then get arrows that do elemental damage and get almost out of range.Activate rapid shot mode and fire at Klauth, it also helps to have haste cast on you by either potion or scroll. As soon as he goes hostile have your henchman start pounding him. As soon as your henchman dies use the stone of recall. Get your henchman, rest and renew your preparations, repeat the above as needed untill you have dragon skin boots. This trick also works for the other 2 dragons just incase you wanted 3 sets of boots.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:04 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Only thing is, using the Stone of Recall mid-battle seems kind of cheesy, eh - it's like you're in a fight, then you teleport out of there, get healed, rest (to get spells back etc) then teleport back and Klauth is in exactly the same position he was in when you left.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 10:14 PM   #5
AndyG
Elminster

If you have the Set Traps skill, an easy way to take out Klauth is to line his lair with traps. He starts out non-hostile, so you can set traps to your hearts content. Then back away, attack with an arrow, and watch him run over all your traps.

If you don't have this skill, you'll have to fight it out. He attacks with fire and slashing damage, so resistance to these will help. He is very hard to hit, so make sure you have combat buffs up. Use any magical items, using the rogue skill, that may help you in this fight. Hopefully, you have Boots of Haste or another Haste item.

You may try taking Linu as your henchman. She will often cast Harm, which drains an enemy of all but 1-4 hps. This will make your fight against Klauth very easy. However, there's no guarantee that she'll cast it, or that it will work.

I, too, consider using the Stone of Recall in the middle of a fight a borderline cheat tactic. Try all other options.

It wouldn't hurt to level up. Ideally, you should be around level 16, but that's hard to achieve with the current xp set up. Make sure you do everything else in the chapter 3 before you do this fight.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 07:54 AM   #6
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Did someone say I have to FEED the blue dragons essence to Krauth... damn! I didnt! I just put it on that.. pedistal... opps. ah well, I slew him anyway... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 12:16 PM   #7
Lord Shield

funny thing

my lvl 14 fighter and Daelen took several trips with Stone of Recall to mash him
my Rogue/Fighter and Daelen took a lot longer than THAT
my sorceress was only lvl 12 and slaughtered the buttmunch without a SINGLE trip back to the temple
Old 09-05-2002, 03:35 PM   #8
Kaltia
Jack Burton

As a side note, my fighter-ranger (started off a fighter then I changed my mind ) has...480,000 xp, approximatly. After Klauth...440,000.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 03:44 PM   #9
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

aww poor ol kaltia i ended up with more.....how many times did you use the rick of lets go back there cuz im injured?
i killed him i killed him i killed him ... and then got whooped by that gimp gorgotha so guess what gorgogimp im gonna come back nd take your babies and then run off...heal and then kill you
Felix
FelixJaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 03:47 PM   #10
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Grrr...IU'd never fight a good dragon-I play elf ranger half the time, and I LIKE silvers and golds....

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote