Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2001, 05:34 PM   #1
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Just finished this simply stunning book, best thing Ive read in ages. I found out about it watching the booker prize last week.

It is set in modern Tokoyo and its about this young man trying to find out who his father is. A sinple storyline I suppose but it is more of a triumph for the charecters and quality writing. Quite simply peole who can write so eloquantly beautiful pieces are very rare and its hard to show in my meager words how true this is so I will quote.

''A galaxy of cream unribbons in my coffee cup, and the background chatter pulls into focus. My first morning in Tokoyo, and I am already getting ahead of myself. The jupiter cafe sloshes with lunch hour laughter, Friday plottings, clinking saucers. Drones bark into mobile phones. She-drones hitch up sagging voices to sound more feminine. Coffee seafood, sandwiches, detergant, steam.''

The guy can write so well its scary and he puts things with such skill and delicacy it wraps you up helplessly in the flow of the novel. Wow.

It is a novel of twisted dreams and fantasys with an unbelievable and yet drab reality as a background to its brightly lit streets. The author plays tricks in the novel keeping you guessing what is real, a videogame or a flashback. In a word intriuging.

This is a work of joy and sadness and utterly comendable without the shadow of a doubt one book you should be reading this year.

Now has anyone but me read it because I love it and want other people to read it and more importantly I want to know what you thought of it.

------------------

jabidas = Sorcerer of clan Aerie thing

Also I will have nothing to do with sulpher powder and secret priesthoods so dont even try it.

And dont worry soon you shall all be part of my ever growing army of the undead.
jabidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 01:01 PM   #2
Legolas the Elven Archer

I'll put it on the list of things to read. Right under Wizard's first rule and probably all the books from the series, The Great Book of Amber and some others I can't remember right now. The problem is, the list keeps growing longer instead of shorter...
But, with all my youth, I guess that is a good thing

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
Old 10-16-2001, 01:14 PM   #3
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Legolas, dear, it only gets worse!

I have been reading since I was four. I am now 32 and have a collection to rival most libraries. LOL!!! I, as of this very moment, have anywhere from 40 - 50 books at home that I have yet to read - and yet I have ordered several more that I wish to read. It's an addiction! One that I am happy to have, but an addiction nonetheless.

Thanks, Jabidas, for giving me ANOTHER book to add to my list.

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
DragonMage is offline   Reply With Quote