Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2002, 10:42 AM   #1
Vampire

Hi people please explain to me how resist spell works?
I mean I casted Enervation which is a spell with no saves.
I got spell resisted?
Is this magical resistance (i don't think so) or it will say.

I can't go around as a magic user since any spell i use just gets resisted.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:04 PM   #2
magnetism
Manshoon

first resistance is checked...
then saves are checked...
then damage reduction is applied...

Resistance has nothing to do with saves.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:11 PM   #3
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

item SPOILER
-
-
-
--
-
- I got the lesser amulet of the master (which gives spell resistance: 12) and the girdle of shimmering (which gives another 12), but whenever i equipped both, i had only 12 in the character sheet instead of 24. Why is this ?
Old 08-22-2002, 01:44 PM   #4
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
item SPOILER
-
-
-
--
-
- I got the lesser amulet of the master (which gives spell resistance: 12) and the girdle of shimmering (which gives another 12), but whenever i equipped both, i had only 12 in the character sheet instead of 24. Why is this ?
Spell resistance does not stack. If you have inherent spell resistance, then the game checks this first. If it passes that, then it will go through other spell resistances next (It only goes by whatever is the highest though, will not stack items). After that, damage reduction. So, if you are an elf, and you wear something with spell resist, it's gonna be pretty hard to beat that. (Even moreso if you have damage reduction).

[ 08-22-2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Tobbin ]
Old 08-22-2002, 04:11 PM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well SR is one of the things that isn´t stacking in this game.. which is a suprise!

Most other things do which is a total munchkin mayhem!

Boots that give dexterity stack with rings, bracers etc etc.. Nope. Ability bonuses and ability raising potions/magic DO NOT STACK..
So espacially for Neb.. This is not 100% 3:ed

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:50 PM   #6
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

well and that 12 is a percentage or what ? is it good ? another item SPOILER...

-
-
--
- now im in chapter 2 and ive seen a ring that aribeth used to have, and it grants 16 sr... is this worth the huge amount of money it costs ? btw im an elven monk

thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2002, 09:14 PM   #7
AndyG
Elminster

It's 12% magic resistance. That means 12% of spells cast at you will fail. This is fairly low, but anything higher is pretty strong. Remember, this is checked before saving throws, so you still have another roll after this. I believe that magic resistance only applies to hostile magic, but I think it should apply to all magic.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:29 PM   #8
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

I remember some item that gave 42% Spell Resistance, I didn't buy it though, it was like 100,000 gp. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2002, 02:50 AM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyG:
It's 12% magic resistance. That means 12% of spells cast at you will fail. This is fairly low, but anything higher is pretty strong. Remember, this is checked before saving throws, so you still have another roll after this. I believe that magic resistance only applies to hostile magic, but I think it should apply to all magic.
Sorry but that is wrong.

Spell resistence works like this.

Wizard A cast spell on target B (If you like you can call them Adam and Benny for all I care).

Adam (lets stick with this one) is level 5 caster (wizard 5, if he has other spellcasting levels they are counted separately). Benny however has a nifty ring of Spellresistence giving him a SR of 12. Adam then rolls a D20, a so called casterlevel check. He rolls 7, adds five for the caster level giving him a total of 12. Voila, his spell effects Benny that now has to roll saving throws and wish that the DM is a nice person...

Alas, SR gives a value you have to roll equal or over with with a D20 plus caster level plus feats.

So, 12 in SR is not much, for a first level character however it is something like 50% roughly. Later on it is worthless, so the SR items is pretty overrated when you climb levels. Drow has for instance a SR equal to their character level plus 10 or 12 I think it was. Much better...

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 03:28 AM   #10
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

wolfie... have i ever mentioned that i LOVE you ?

well after your explanation i think im not gonna buy any SR item, there are so many nice items in the game and not so much money [img]smile.gif[/img]